Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

...They don't touch on the Islays:

imag1011e.jpg

Islay's looking fantastic. Love how they pair up with denim. It's certainly a boot that looks better with age. I've considered them for years and now Skyfall has made it damn near impossible to buy a pair. Yours look so good, it will keep the dream alive!

Edited by patrick_b

Islay's looking fantastic. Love how they pair up with denim. It's certainly a boot that looks better with age. I've considered them for years and now Skyfall has made it damn near impossible to buy a pair. Yours look so good, it will keep the dream alive!

Cheers, P. I coveted them from the first visit to the C&J shop in town and they've served me well over the past ten months or so.

Better picture here, along with the Snowdon:

001kzo.jpg

And something a little different here...an old quarter brogue chukka (?) made by Church's as part of their now-defunct Masterclass line from back in the day. Fantastic patina on this one, called the 'Ruskin' and made of quality leather with a really fine grain to it:

021rjv.jpg

And lastly, can anyone identify what leather this is and how it should be cared for? If it helps, it's an old Church's model called 'Entebbe' (I think):

065ff.jpg

Almost looks a bit like seal or elephant. Not saying it is, but it might be.

Nice shine on the other pair btw : )

Those Thorogoods do indeed look tidy btw.

Had a word with my local retailer today; he's going to check if my Edward Green mto boot request is possible without heading into top drawer territory. I'll keep you posted.

Edited by Crat

Those look like hippo skin

CTB - my first reaction when I saw that leather on those Church was of Mustang leather.. but I'm putting that down as a moment of madness. It is very different, can't say I've seen it before.

Almost looks a bit like seal or elephant. Not saying it is, but it might be.

Nice shine on the other pair btw : )

Those Thorogoods do indeed look tidy btw.

Had a word with my local retailer today; he's going to check if my Edward Green mto boot request is possible without heading into top drawer territory. I'll keep you posted.

Those look like hippo skin

Cheers for the responses, lads!

Looks like Entebbe is a city in Uganda so elephant or hippo could be close to the mark. Maybe antelope?

More supple than you'd imagine although not as supple as calf...feels like it's probably pretty good in wet weather.

The old Church's that used exotic hides normally mention the hide on the sock liner (like the famous 'real cape buck' on their legendary 'Buck' brogues) but I can't see anything here, although most is faded.

So want to hunt for images now .. work-sense (not ethic, hell no!) prevents me ..

Thinking nice leathery bacon from the hotel buffet stuck to the bottom of the bain-marie all forlorn and forgotten about with a side of dried out instant mix pancake. 2* Euro holiday, yum!

As long as it's well-done, I'm happy...

Some C&J filth to help get you through the day, in the form of the Coniston and the Arran. I think I've owned these longer than any other pair that are still in my possession:

013gad.jpg

014wa.jpg

They're made of rough-out and are an occasional model that C&J do in different leathers. Shame they're not veldtschoen as that's all that's lacking in my (biased) eyes - especially given the fact that they're built on the Snowdon pattern (albeit on the Islay last 365).

When new, prior to wax, rain, snow, sleet and mud:

dscf1612a.jpg

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...