Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

I've never liked Timberland and don't get the whole "work boot" thing in general. That guy wearing Timberlands with a dressy outfit looks freaking retarded.

I kind of recoiled in dread when I realized that lots of people lump in Red Wing moc toe boots in there, too. I got my Red Wings because I associated them with Japanese motorcycle style.

I immerse myself in japanese culuture more than most but when i think of Red Wing moc toe boots the last thing that springs to mind is japanese motorcycle style.

They are as American as apple pie in my mind.

Just goes to show that the same pair of boots say different things to different people.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

which one are you expecting?

yeah, had a pleasant email exchange with Libs. arm-twisting was not necessary. she was, right away, open to a couple of my requests, [ie, switching up from the fully sprung 88s to a less severe semi-sprung last]. otherwise, i would not have opted on the Dainite soles.

i got some ideas for the "WW1 B5", if all goes well with TOWs ;)

I fully endorse the stirring up of shit and especially so when it is in response (albeit indirect in this case) to some of the unbearable fuckwits that populate aaac/sf.

Some of the blind dismissal over there from the brand zealots against reasoned argument and criticism leaves me incredulous.

There is a shoemaker who has taken trouble to offer some genuine insight into construction and in so doing by default made criticism of certain contemporary, revered brands and as a result attracted the pure indignation of the mob. Utter wankers. The few might learn something but the majority just have to sound off. Don't know why he bothers, in fact I don't think he does anymore.

There's no educating them what don't wanna learn.

Is any similar forum really that different, if we're being completely, baldly honest?

There'll always be the 'few', as you say, who are able to think for themselves and make their own minds up about stuff. Then you'll have the majority, who aspire to own/wear/fellate/penetrate whatever is 'approved' by that particular forum. A glance through any forum's WAYWT will show that there's generally only a couple of dozen brands that are worn by the majority in order to achieve 'the look' that will win e-respect from e-strangers...

And this applies just as much here as anywhere else.

'SuFu-approved' isn't always a phrase that's used with irony... ;)

Somewtimes threads go to sleep other times they move off on a tangent and you miss stuff. Sorry BM, I missed this!

Anyway, good news - you manage to speak with Libs? She is great.

How on earth did you manage to get dainite into the mix, did you have to buy a sheet or whatever separately and provide? Of course being in the trade they can get hold of stuff no doubt.

We are both waiting on boots then! I wonder whether there is anybody else with orders in?

I spoke to Libs some weeks ago about a pair of Dundas. I just confirmed with her earlier this week that I'd place an order in January once my wallet has recovered from Christmas. They may be ready for my birthday!

Libs is very pleasant to deal with.

Those SD's look great, and I'm looking forward to seeing those WL's in a few months too. Must get around to throwing up some pics of my SD's and Lennons.

Edited by Megatron1505

Surely what makes the SD offer more functionality over aldens as a work boots is the more robust materials and improved comfort?

I certainly would rather have SDs than indys on my feet for any manual work or when I am on my feet all day. I have owned SDs, BHs and indys. The indys are flimsy compared to SDs.

By all means, given the choice between the two, I'd rather wear SD's than Indy's all day. But as the name suggests, the Semidress are not exactly a workboot. Some day I'd like a pair of dress leather SD's with double leather soles for times when the BH are too much boot for the occasion (which would probably relegate my Aldens to be worn even less frequently than they already are).

My point was to highlight the advantages of the BH over the SD for medium duty work.

I immerse myself in japanese culuture more than most but when i think of Red Wing moc toe boots the last thing that springs to mind is japanese motorcycle style.

They are as American as apple pie in my mind.

Just goes to show that the same pair of boots say different things to different people.

Strange thing is, even though I'm an American, I don't think I'd ever heard of - or seen - the boots before I came to Japan.

Strange thing is, even though I'm an American, I don't think I'd ever heard of - or seen - the boots before I came to Japan.

The Japanese biker style was fundamentaly adopted from the Americans in the first place, but typical to the Japanese they seem to go the extra mile on the detail.

Do the bosozoku bikers wear Red Wings or just the amekaji?

You must have been blown away when you found out RedWings hailed from the USA?

I personally think the Americans can learn a thing or two about American style from the Japanese.

Present company excepted.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

Thanks guys, These SDs are my daily boot. I wear them probably 4 or 5 times per week these days because they are comfortable and versatile. I'm going to japan on Monday for 3 weeks and these will be all I take except a pair of vans probably. Might try to get the heel redone while I am there.

She likes her WLs, they don't squeak as far as I can tell. I have no idea what the leather is but it doesn't look like CXL to me.

Somewtimes threads go to sleep other times they move off on a tangent and you miss stuff. Sorry BM, I missed this!

Anyway, good news - you manage to speak with Libs? She is great.

How on earth did you manage to get dainite into the mix, did you have to buy a sheet or whatever separately and provide? Of course being in the trade they can get hold of stuff no doubt.

We are both waiting on boots then! I wonder whether there is anybody else with orders in?

I received my 78N boots today; they are built like a tank but unfortunately the sizing does not work for me; I took a 7 which is slightly too small. A size 8 will be way too large. I just mailed Libs if I can send them back and get a refund...

tell me about it, i was really looking forward to them...

i'll pick up a pair of Tricker's or CJ's instead when the opportunity arises, I haven't had too much luck yet with British made boots (sizing wise)

I received my 78N boots today; they are built like a tank but unfortunately the sizing does not work for me; I took a 7 which is slightly too small. A size 8 will be way too large. I just mailed Libs if I can send them back and get a refund...

that's unfortunate. how tight was it? was it small length-wise or width-wise?

btw, what's your size on White's SD/SJ, Alden, or Trickers?

brownmetallic, they are a bit on the short side; the width is quite big. I'm a size 8D in Alden Barrie/Trubalance and 8C in Whites SD.

Inquire, thats a very nice collection, especially like the cordovan Vibergs

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...