Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

I too, have suspected that the Cats Paws are being reproduced. Im not sure when thy stopped making them, but I find it highly unlikely that these pristine examples are all of the sudden being found and used. Cobblers shops are fucking filthy where the resoling takes place. these soles and heels should not be looking brand new.

I remember reading somewhere that cat's paw came under ownership of vibram and vibram has licensed the designs to some company in japan, and they're reproducing them. I have no idea how to find that info now, but I do remember reading something along those lines.

Yes, Toyo Enterprise is behind Sugar Cane, Mr. Freedom, (production side), Cheswick etc. etc.

I think they even started a small capsule of Cat's Paw "clothing" which probably has to licensed in order to be produced.

In terms of Real McCoy's and Toys McCoy, they use their own specific factory separate from who Sugar Cane uses. Could be more than one company that licenses Cat's Paw.

buying brand new cat's paws must somewhat be like buying present day LVC's? i really wouldn't be surprised if those were remade instead of "deadstock". double 0, good luck with your search. ebay, craigslist and sometimes etsy (strange but true) is a good place to find what you're looking for. things come up in strange places all the time... i'll let you know if i happen to come across any.

in other news, i've recently sent some tricker's to richard for a resole. they were oringinally tricker's x present brogue boots which were on a vibram moreflex sole which i hated. they didn't get a whole lot of wear out of them compared to my other boots so i decided that they would be better off with a resole (more for form reasons than function). richard and michelle were a great help, communication was extremely brisk and i couldn't be happier with their service. i didn't really know how they would look in the end but i'm glad i took the plunge. opted for a switch to a single leather midsole with commando soles and a commando heel stack. the greatest worry other than them getting lost in the mail was probably the choice of the tone of leather he used but boy these turned out great. with that said, they will be getting a lot more mileage. attached a picture of the original boot for better visualisation purposes.

8192545836_bebb0b70e2_b.jpg

8192545760_80f2136610_b.jpg

8191458829_087362f10a_b.jpg

8191459159_56c523196c_b.jpg

8191459069_5133716932_b.jpg

8191458903_cf2c235ba6_b.jpg

8191458993_5c880fa482_b.jpg

True thats the only way I've found them. BTW, what size are your heels? If your boots are 7.5 US, you always have to go with a size 8 or 9 heel. Which I happen to have a pair… (9-10, that is) :D

Your Cherry Red Railmans are one of the reasons i ordered the black Beauties!, Gleaned a bit of sizing advice from you on the quiet too.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

If Cats Paw are being reproduced it would not be too much of a bad thing, Rubber manufacture has come a long way since the 40,s Just look at the technology in car tyres. If you could have the charm of a Cats Paw sole with a modern high grade rubber why not?

Rubber tends to brake down over time and loose its proporties, Old car and bike tyres are allways cracked. Elastic bands are fucked in a year or two. The soles on the L/W,s took some abuse and after 4 years not one sign of a crack. Strange No?

Edited by Double 0 Soul

If Cats Paw are being reproduced it would not be too much of a bad thing, Rubber manufacture has come a long way since the 40,s Just look at the technology in car tyres. Thats why Vibram are so dam good. If you could have the charm of a Cats Paw sole with a modern high grade rubber why not?

Rubber tends to brake down over time and loose its proporties, Old car and bike tyres are allways cracked. Elastic bands are fucked in a year or two. The soles on the L/W,s took some abuse and after 4 years not one sign of a crack. Strange No?

Yeah.

Cat paws tend to get a worse rep when compared to Vibram but yours sure held up well. 4 years of heavy wear. Not bad at all.

As you already insinuate, could be a remakes.

Edited by denimjunky

I remember reading somewhere that cat's paw came under ownership of vibram and vibram has licensed the designs to some company in japan, and they're reproducing them. I have no idea how to find that info now, but I do remember reading something along those lines.

I think bilt rite makes them now.

http://www.american-biltrite.com/footwear-components

Ranonran, the resole looks incredible. You definitely made the right choice. It's like you've now got a completely different, nicer-looking (I think) boot. Well done.

Side note: I saw a homie wearing White's semi dress THIS MORNING at my laundrymat on Bedford/S 2nd. I KNOW YOU'RE ON HERE -- REVEAL YOURSELF.

They looked nice, too.

Side note 2: any recs on strong, waxed flat brown laces? The ones that came with my SD are already splitting and showing signs of wear... White's: what the hell? Haven't even had them 72 hours and they have approx 30 hours of casual city walkin'. Little surprised. First world problems...

Side note 3: I've noticed that my heel slips **ever so slightly** in my new SD when running down stairs (chasing the subway). Not a huge deal, but does this mean I actually sized wrong? Is this an issue of length or width? They feel and fit amazing otherwise.

That's about it. Good stuff lately. Those boots (both of 'em) double 0 posted are "wow."

Sandy_112.jpg

I guess these don't quite "look better with age," but maybe they belong here anyway. 1980's Red Wings, post-hurricane Sandy. Left in the closet when we evacuated, then subsequently submerged in salt water, sewage, and who knows what else, dried out, and worn for three weeks of house clean-up. The leather still seems surprisingly viable, so I am thinking I might try to salvage these and give them to a nice re-sole. Anybody have any tips on how to treat them?

Update: at the end of day #3, when I went to unlace my new White's after a gloriously long day of working, I discovered that the speed hook had already punctured the flat lace, making the one lace ready to break within a week or so. The hole isn't giant (whites speed hooks are kinda dinky IMO) but I'm pretty unimpressed. I'm hoping its a defect; whites has always been very fast about communicating and always are very helpful.

Also, sno-sealed them yesterday. I felt like they instantly softened up and felt more broken in within 10 mins of wear after a treatment!! Crazy stuff!

Anybody tried Obenauf's Treated Laces?

https://www.obenaufs...ategory&path=33

You could build a fucking hammock out of a couple of sets of the longer pair.

I changed over to using their LP a while ago in place of dubbin. Occurred to me yesterday that it's not the kind of product that gets used on EGs too often :D

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...