Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

And I guess as an aside, I'm open to recommendations. What would you guys spend $700 on in the shoe world. I can only spend it on one item.

Go for the C&J. Better than Church imo. If you get Carmina I'd get cordovan or suede. I'm not happy with their leather quality. Then again, when going for cordovan I'd choose Alden. Should you be able to find Greens on sale that would be the best option imo.

You are a bad, bad man CTB... ;)

Yes, very bad indeed.

Problem with getting something like these is that next to them, nothing else quite compares...

Walnut country calf, mink suede, shearling-lined leg and veldt construction; better pics to follow at the weekend when there might be a little natural light around:

dsc05567l.jpg

Don't buy Grensons, they are not worth the money. The quality is pretty poor. Search around this thread for much better actual English makers and spend a little time on ebay and you can find some very nice options. English sizing is typically 1/2 or 1 full size bigger than American.

nothing special, just my got my 875s back from their second resole

photo3.jpg

ps

how come most the shoes posted look like theyre brand new? cant really determine if they look better with age or maybe dudes dont smash them up.

Edited by jichan

^They look a week old not more. Honestly.

I'll take that as a compliment : )

I think I posted a pic a few pages back showing the purchase date. I always write it inside the shoe as soon as I get hone with a new purchase.

These are from 2009 and have seen a lot of wear. They almost need rebottoming

Here's the pic.

8171419889_bf285e0168_c.jpg

Edited by Crat

just got these last weekend...

117fsb5.jpg

vintage richard ponvert... or galiber... sole says galiber, tag inside says richard pontvert. made in france. spent an hour and a half with a blowdryer and a rag melting and removing all the wax built up on them. not a bad find for goodwill, tho it was a by the pound store so they cost more than they normally would have. ill never need another pair of hiking boots again.

'guys got [a more direct] email address for William Lennon?

'dropped them a sole option & sizing inquiry for the Tug Of War @ruff-lander website 2 weeks ago, but haven't got any reply as of yet.

tnx in advance.

Edited by BrownMetallic

XPost from WAYWT

White's SD, six very long days of wear so far. Fresh coat of sno-seal the night before this pic was snapped.

photo4ta.jpg

Pretty much fucking LOVE them.

Played some bball with my neices this morning in them. Super comfy. Softened up right after a lil grease action.

Also, Mandy Z from White's is the best customer service rep I've ever encountered. I told her the speed hook pierced my laces on day three of my boots' life; she's sending me several (more than one) pairs of spare laces and "a little something extra" for me for "making her smile" as I explained how incredibly happy I am with my new boots.

I hope it's a White's branded tee or some other kinda steezy ass SWAG :D Fingers crossed.

Have a great holiday d00ds

I wish for the more worn appearance, where a real change and improvement of look has taken place. But to each his own I guess.

It's a false comparison, as putting workboots and high-quality dress shoes side-by-side is hardly a like-for-like comparison beyond talking about quality of build and materials, and the construction of the boot or shoe in question.

The evolution of leather is based on how it's worn and how it's treated, and you wouldn't necessarily treat workboots in the same way as an oxford captoe (although a little flexibility around this can be good for the soul, admittedly...!).

Do you think that I'd leave a big scuff on one of my formal shoes, if I scraped it on the pavement? Nope, I'd sort it out as soon as I got home...

If, as I suspect, it's down to that old, tedious chestnut of 'authenticity' then I'd suggest that the only people on here who should have boots that are proper beat-up are the people who actually work in them, like the good blokes who post their 'actually-used-for-work-workboots' in this thread from time to time.

Crat doesn't say whether or not those pairs posted above are his entire collection but if they are, I'd say that he's probably got more long-term value for money out of his expensive dress shoes than a lot of people who might be tempted to cane the fuck out of their footwear in a rush to get that 'beat-up' look and then have to retire their boots after a year or two...

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...