Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Dubbed my boondockers yesterday. This time with SNO-Seal. I usually have been using Obenaufs LP heavy duty and I actually quite prefer the latter. When heating the SNO-Seal up it got to smell quite chemical in fact. I highly doubt it be only beeswax in it.

Anyways, the Boondockers came out even nicer after dubbing. Ill try to through up some pics on occasion.

This is how I went about when dubbing them;

Material: toothbrush, pot, hairdryer.

1. heat up the stuff so it basically melts (not too much)

2. heat up the boots a bit with the hairdryer.

3. Apply melted stuff on boots by hand. (richly)

4. The hairdryer works wonders to really get that wax into the leather

5. Work so much in so that you get an even darker tone all over the boot.

6. With a rag remove excess stuff.

I'm trying to access the Alfred Sargent website www.alfredsargent.co.uk over the last couple of days but have received a message "hacked by hacker". Has anyone else had a similar experience or successfully been able to view the site? Alternately, is anyone aware if the site no longer exists?

EDIT: I managed to contact Sargent and they confirmed that they're experiencing technical difficulties but hope to have the site back up and running soon.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

Hoggreaser, I think the boots you showed above are probably made by Knapp or Hy-Test. The lack of a heel counter makes me think they weren't made by Georgia, and Knapp and Hy-Test both made safety footwear, and they seem to match the aesthetic of both of those makers.

Do you have any more pics or identifying info?

Great! I love the buzz of getting a new pair of boots, it never seems to fade. And who cares if it isn't anything new, I still like checking people's White's choices anyway.. Of course, better beaten but gotta start somewhere eh.

A pair of US boots is still on my list at some point, whether WESCO, White's or if I can get them, Nick's.

Sizing is pretty scary tho, find it hard enough getting it right in UK size nevermind the conversion. Nice one anyway mate.

Agreed.

Some US size charts are +half size on UK sizes and Some are a whole size up. Then some boots are half size over marked size. Whats a boy supposed to do.

Lone Wolf Mechanic Boots,

4years of hard graft, Just received Toys McCoy Ironclad Railman.

So i am putting these out to stud.

8179802784_6d65454438.jpg

8179765879_225521cc06.jpg

8179770603_d6f4106f07.jpg

Why put them out to stud now? They dont look half finished. Its right now they start looking their best. Just give them a good buff with cream, is all. They deserve it :)

Marvelousssss.

Edited by denimjunky

Why put them out to stud now? They dont look half finished. Its right now they start looking their best. Just give them a good buff with cream, is all. They deserve it :)

Marvelousssss.

In the bad weather in this condition the Cats Paw is super skiddy, We live on a hill and i end up on my arse daily. Not a good luck. When some cats paw heels turn up on ebay in a US8-9 i will get then to the Shoe Healer. They do deserve it.

Until that time "out to stud"

Too right! I'd be the same. And wary of that first scuff.

Loving that heavy triple sole.

Stood next to each other the Railman seem to have a higher shaft hight, is that right or just an allusion? 'Cos on its side it looks lower, more ankle boot.

What I like about these kind of work boots and the White's stuff etc is that the toe box suggests it's got that bit more room to wiggle in, I can't do with too streamlined a toe box, too chiselled or sleek and it just jams the toes together meaning you have to size up to accomodate. I mean who really has pointy feet. Even some of the English brogue boots which are supposed to be country working boots can be a bit too 'almond' shaped ...it's not the width, it's the toe space ...

They are exactly the same height 7eyelets, Think what happens is when you crank up the laces over time it pulls the boot to the shape of your foot giving it that shape. Less like an ankle boot.

I like the wide toe box they are both a size US8E when i first got the mechanics they felt cavernous. Stuck a Taco in there and the fit was fine. Toe box is shallower on the Railman and very slightly narrower the fit is perfect straight out the box. I am US 8.5E on most size charts.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

These Mechanic,s really need a resole. Im usually as sure footed as a mountain goat but they dont mix well with wet leaves or snow.

I have been on an eternal quest since last winter for Cats paw half sole,s and heels. Heels are an easy pick up on ebay just waiting for the right size.

The half soles are a different story altogether. They seem readily available to the Japanese boot industry even though they are apparently dead stock?

I have never actually seen these Cats Paw half soles for sale. Anywhere.

8179786700_a0015d82ee.jpg

Are they the greatest secret never told or what?

Might have to settle for a cats heel and a Vibram half sole.

People on here who know there shit could enlighten me.

I think they are just "period correct" soles. They are actually quite inferior in material and application to the modern Vibrams in my experience. Although I should clarify, the Cats Paw soles I have are a bit different than those, as mine have a green dot that is larger. But they were still new old stock

Edited by garden gnomes in space

Interest check on a pair of Black White's SD. I'm going to make a thread and post pictures soon, but here are the specs for now:

Black French Calf

Captoe

Black Eyelets and Hooks

Natural (I think? They're brown) edge

Single Leather Sole

Size 9.5D

I'm hoping to get around 310 shipped (how much are they new these days?). They're in excellent shape, as I've probably worn them less than 10 times. There are a few dings but nothing noticeable. They shine up very nicely.

Edited by jstavrin

^and I should also mention they're lined, which is essential for French Calf.

@garden gnome: I tend to agree. I decided to go with a Cat's Paw Heel and a Vibram sole this time and they're holding up wonderfully on my other pair of White's SD.

Double O, where are you located? If you're in the US or Canada I would imagine you can ask around at the older shoe repair places nearby, as a lot of them have NOS that they can't wait to get rid of. It's worth a shot if you have a shoe repair place nearby that's been open for more than 30 years or so.

Edited by rayw44

I'm also beginning to think that the Real McCoys, Toys McCoys soles and heels are repros. They don't seem to match my NOS Cat's Paw from the 60's in terms of material and composition. The ones on the Buco's and Railman's are much spongier. Kind of explains why they can release the same number of boots year after after.

As evidenced by the 2013 Real McCoy's catalog. Another release of 200 pairs of heels and soles. Unless they unearthed some buried mine full of Cat's Paw, they must be making them from scratch.

rmc_2013.jpg

buco_2013a.jpg

buco_2013b.jpg

BTW, I think I found the next pair of Sargents I what to pick up. Harris Tweed / AS.

tweed_sargents.jpg

I'm not hating on other brands, but AS is really doing it right these days. Construction is on par with C&J and the Handgrade collection rivals Edward Green at a lower price point. Also their MTO options are fantastic. Something to think about. Big thanks to Chay Cooper, the man behind the recent Handgrade and Exclusive collections.

Edited by coleslawyum

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...