Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Cheers.

Toys McCoy / Real McCoys: dress shoe like finishing. Impeccable details. Highest quality materials used.

White's: Very workboots like craftsmanship. . Rough finishing. Good to beat up. Heavy.

Lone Wolf: Somewhere in between McCoys and White's. Uses chromexcel. I think Red Wing is a better choice money wise.

Yeah, I thought the L/W mechanics looked dangerously close to GTs.

RIMG2140.JPG

Anyone got any experience buying from the Horseman Joe Leathers web shop?

Or visited the store and can pass on any info?

Online order form looks pretty user friendly.

Checked all the usual suspects and apart from the odd line at Full Count, Cant find a Japanese retailer who holds stock.

Choice of leathers looks superb.

OK you deciphered what I was trying to type.....

They indeed do have a thin rubber sole unit, quite a nice style actually.

They look pretty good although like I said, I'm not too keen on the big round toe shape so much and I've never really been that keen on unlined boots. They looked like they would rip my feet to shreds.

Trickers from the factory shop?

This may sound a little crazy but it did work. I had a pair of McNairy shoes that would squeak beyond belief. I took some Tri-Flow lubricant and using the thin applicator tube, I ran some around the shoe, where the upper joined the welt. Then let them sit for awhile. It actually took a couple of times but they haven't squeaked since. There doesn't appear to be any harm done to the leather or stitching and have worn them on and off for about a year now.

I got some insurance money in and have $700 to spend on a pair of shoes. Can anyone comment on the quality difference between Trickers and Church's? Leffot has a pretty sharp pair of Church's wingtips that I might have to pick up. I've owned Trickers, but what's the general consensus on which is better?

And I guess as an aside, I'm open to recommendations. What would you guys spend $700 on in the shoe world. I can only spend it on one item.

I got some insurance money in and have $700 to spend on a pair of shoes. Can anyone comment on the quality difference between Trickers and Church's? Leffot has a pretty sharp pair of Church's wingtips that I might have to pick up. I've owned Trickers, but what's the general consensus on which is better?

And I guess as an aside, I'm open to recommendations. What would you guys spend $700 on in the shoe world. I can only spend it on one item.

You have to be careful with Church's. From all that I've heard, quality on some of their products has declined since the Prada takeover a few years ago. A number of their shoes now use corrected grain leather. Moreover, their prices have increased a fair bit as well.

Tricker's make some very nice country brogues but their prices seem to be going up as well. Their dress shoes are typically wider and are on some uninspiring lasts.

I own a pair of Church Consul's which are a plain black captoe oxford and are well made. I also own a few pair of Tricker's 1829 collection which I am fairly pleased with. They're not the most fashion forward of dress shoes but they are solid. However, I find that the QC on Tricker's leaves something to be desired though. Found a loose piece of excess leather that had yet to be cut off attached to the welt on my shoes when I received them.

You said wingtips so I assume we're talking dress shoes here. For $700, you have a LOT of choices. You're definitely in Crockett & Jones Hand Grade territory. But for my money, I'd get a pair of Carmina's. I picked up a pair of Carmina shell cordovan wing tips a few months back and they are probably my favorite shoes. Really well made, horween shell cordovan, very good construction and finishing. If you don't need shell, their calf leather shoes are just as good.

Edited by schmallo15

Only one item? Shame, you could have built up a superb vintage boot collection with that and a little time spent hunting them down :D

If schmallo15 is right and you want a dress shoe, both makers do very conservative dress/business shoes that are seen as reliable by those 'in the know'.

If you're after something a little more rugged, then Church's 'Grafton' brogue will give Tricker's 'Keswick' a run for its money in the built-like-a-battleship stakes.

I'm not sure that I buy into the whole 'Church's quality pre- versus post-Prada' argument as a valid one. Certainly, Church's now make more shoes with full leather lining than before Prada and any comparison of leather quality before and after is flawed instantly if (like me) you believe calf skins in general to be of poorer quality these days than before.

When reading criticism of the brand post-Prada, I always get the sense that it revolves around the speaker's sense of the brand no longer being 'authentic' as they're not English-owned. Same kind of people, possibly, who think that civilisation as we know it is headed for an imminent violent end when they see an Americanism that has snuck its way onto the BBC...

(Incidentally, the Church brothers now own Cheaney and have done so since 2009, when it split off from the Church group after their buy-out of the brand.)

The main difference for me is the lack of Custom Grade shoes available these days on the 73 last (an old classic last, and a favourite of mine), as Church's dropped it a while ago for not being 'suitable' for the blokes' feet of today. Herring Shoes had a range specially built for them on the old last but these aren't/weren't Custom Grade so caveat emptor.

Church's have used a form of corrected grain for decades ('Bookbinder'/'(Polished) Binder') and it's a little unfair to compare this to the kind of CG used by Barker and Loake on their lower-end brands - Binder is the only CG I know where the finish doesn't come off on your cloth when cleaning the leather with a little Renovateur... :D It's definitely of a higher-quality than some other CG, even if it's not something that I'd wear myself. Its popularity over the decades certainly attests to a certain following amongst the Church's lovers...

In other news, the shearling Galway arrives today...

Edited by CrashTestBrummie

IMO, Trickers are too common place and starting to appear cheap because of it. This is a little sad really because they have had a good reputation for so many years but that's what happens when you spread your name around with anyone who'll ask. Crockett & Jones is still the best bang for the buck and Alfred Sargent have really stepped up their game in the last year or so. The prices at Leffot seem a little inflated, check out The Shoe Healer (www.shoehealer.co.uk) but then you do run the risk of import duty I guess. If I was going to get something from Leffot then I'd kick in the extra and go for the Edward Green Ullswater.

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...