Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

I have a hard time thinking of Red Kloud's stuff as boots and not some kind of leather art. Probably because I've never seen any worn-in. The level of perfection and neatness triggers some kind of uncanny valley response in my brain...a sight to behold, but I'm not sure I want them on my feet.

i feel the same way. as they are, I would put them in some display next to the vintage bottle of cognac

^initial effect to me was like artwork best for a showroom exhibit_ a veritable eye-candy. but, perusing through WK site made it more real ... wearable, ie ;)

Kashiwa from Styleforum got me hooked.

.... Another reason to come to the event is that White Kloud will be there. Their atelier is just a block from Mushmans. Have you heard of White Kloud. Holy sweet jesus!

http://whitekloud.jp/

Edited by BrownMetallic

I posted this over on Styleforum regarding White Kloud, perhaps in response to BrownMetallic (?). I'll copy and paste it here.

Funny you should ask about White Kloud. I just did a custom fitting for White Kloud boots the other day. I'm not planning on getting any, but Mr. White Kloud (Goto-san) was at Mushmans (the White Kloud shop is just a block away from Mushmans, and both are near Minami-Koshigaya St.) for a special event, and was doing custom fittings for his Oxfords (see link below).

http://blog.mushmans.com/?eid=676

All I can say is, these boots are the real deal. It don't get any better. Plus, Goto-san comes to shoe crafting out of reflexology and is 100% about getting you the perfect fit first and foremost. BUT. Its a 2 year wait for his boots. He has an associate who does some of the work on the Oxfords and they can be had a little sooner though.

I believe the cognac boots you posted above are the Mushmans model. They are $1700 w/o tax. (those from outside Japan would not be required to pay tax of course).

http://shop.mushmans.com/?pid=24352207

Here are another pair at $1,600 (not sure if this includes tax or not on this pair, Japanese retailers are required to list sales tax so it probably does)

http://whitekloud.jp/article/60229779.html

If you have any q's about WK, I can definitely help.

And I'll add. These boots are very wearable, definitely not (only) artwork. At the Mushmans event and after party, there were quite a few pairs of well worn White Klouds around. And they looked fantastic. (in fact, you should have seen the genkan entryway at the restaurant we went to. 40 pairs of awesome engineer, cowboy and work boots all in a row. Felt sorry for the little waitress who had to carry all those tanks to the foot lockers and back again!).

Edited by Ishmael j.

I have a hard time thinking of Red Kloud's stuff as boots and not some kind of leather art. Probably because I've never seen any worn-in. The level of perfection and neatness triggers some kind of uncanny valley response in my brain...a sight to behold, but I'm not sure I want them on my feet.

I want them on my feet!

Would love to see some nicely aged White Klouds.

Ishmael j. Im looking at you, If anyone on here can post some photos of worn klouds you can.

The words photo project and proxy service spring to mind.

You cant describe a line of 40 boots without a photo to accompany it what kind of sick twisted individual are you.

Im only jealous because i dont frequent such restaurants. Marvelous info!

Edited by Double 0 Soul

I would have taken some pics at the shop, but my camera skills are no match for their very low lighting. And, at the restaurant, it was more a matter of trying to squeeze in thru the little genkan while taking off yer boots, hurdling other boots and boot taker off ers, and trying not to fall backwards down the stairs.

I'll see if I can get some pics of worn boots though. Fujita-san at Mushmans has a nice worn pair of WK's in Badalassi Cognac at the shop I can snap a few pics of for sure.

The oxfords are between 80-90,000 Yen, but you can probably lop off 5% of that as unnecessary sales tax.

HOWEVER, if I were considering a pair of WK's, I'd be equally considering a trip to Japan. Having gone through the custom fit process and talking with Goto-san, it definitely seems more than a little mottainai to not get a custom fit on these.

I would have taken some pics at the shop, but my camera skills are no match for their very low lighting. And, at the restaurant, it was more a matter of trying to squeeze in thru the little genkan while taking off yer boots, hurdling other boots and boot taker off ers, and trying not to fall backwards down the stairs.

I'll see if I can get some pics of worn boots though. Fujita-san at Mushmans has a nice worn pair of WK's in Badalassi Cognac at the shop I can snap a few pics of for sure.

The oxfords are between 80-90,000 Yen, but you can probably lop off 5% of that as unnecessary sales tax.

HOWEVER, if I were considering a pair of WK's, I'd be equally considering a trip to Japan. Having gone through the custom fit process and talking with Goto-san, it definitely seems more than a little mottainai to not get a custom fit on these.

Sorry man, The image i have in my mind of the 40 pairs of boots may differ from the actual sight of them in the crowded genkan.

If they were not surrounded by an ethereal glow it is nothing like i am picturing.

Is it just a one man operation, Any idea how many pairs of boots a year he produces?

How long has he been in business, What is his background?

Sorry about all the Q,s i am just taking the rare opportunity for some education.

Photo,s from the workshop would be a grail.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

Indeed,

I like to see photos of the boot makers at there workbench, All the leather workers tools on the benches that have been handled by artisans for years, all the scraps of waste leather, coffee cup rings, the products and potions they use and just general surroundings of the craftsmen.

Im thinking a "craftsmen post pictures if your workbench" thread could be the order of the day.

Im always amazed how beauty comes out of such unkempt surroundings.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

^DoS, just click the links above. it's in japanese, but the photos are worth a thousand words.

@Ishmael, a.k.a. Kashiwa__ yeah, i was just sharing your stuff here. tnx again for the enlightenment :)

Translated...

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://whitekloud.jp/&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dwhite%2Bkloud%2Bjp%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DW7K%26tbo%3Dd%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D1280%26bih%3D666&sa=X&ei=Jz6yUO7CHcXk4QSzq4HoDw&ved=0CDEQ7gEwAA

8216881459_4581868aff_o.jpg

i'm a fan of having a lil' "Uptown and Downtown" in my boot rotation.

for those into English boots...

who says these English ladies wont age beautifully? :P

here is a brief simple side-by-side of my:

- MTO Tricker Herman cap-toes (left) (about a year old) Thanks again Shoehealer!

- Dr. Marten MiE 1460 (right) (about 6 months)

I personally like to have boots for both work and play...

Yes, a pic of that worn in pair would be grand.

Sure, it would be awesome to get a custom made pair, but what is the price difference to the ready to wear ones?

And have you tried a pair on? How do they fit? As with most Japanese boots US 10 or so will probably be the max size.

Do you find the last similar to the White's SD? Looks so to me.

anyone knows how i can shine the ssoles of my white's? the wood & rubber.

You are referring to the leather sole. Just use some shoeshine polish. Transparent for natural sole and brown for brown sole. Dont try to make the rubber shine.

If you want White Cloud level shine, you need a machine for that.

Edited by denimjunky

IMO, it's japanese aesthetics. one can't appreciate the artistry & craftsmanship that goes into each pair, if you look at it just from a "western" point of view.

i see it as "next level" shit__ a more dressier SemiDress.

a cosmopolitan take on an iconic "work boots" from a japanese vernacular.

a jap twist, if you may,

:rolleyes: if you think about it, [they] don't even wear White's [nor jap jeans] the same way the west does ;)

those red kloud boots are so ugly. clown shoes.

Kinda like white's on steroids. Over the top. Not my cup of tea.

Edited by BrownMetallic

i'm a fan of having a lil' "Uptown and Downtown" in my boot rotation.

for those into English boots...

who says these English ladies wont age beautifully? :P

here is a brief simple side-by-side of my:

- MTO Tricker Herman cap-toes (left) (about a year old) Thanks again Shoehealer!

- Dr. Marten MiE 1460 (right) (about 6 months)

I personally like to have boots for both work and play...

while davichan is at it... here's my trickers from richard too. very please with both the serivce and product...

26-Nov-2012-003.jpg

26-Nov-2012-005.jpg

so far so good on the dainites...

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...