Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

C&J's finishing is very good, although I'd still not go to them as first choice for a truly rugged boot as nothing they do (RTW, at least) compares to Tricker's or Sargent's traditional country models, especially anything made in gorse calf (the Malton or Dumfries being the quintessential 'work' brogue boot for me).

Even the snowdon?

Even the snowdon?

Even the Snowdon - great boot (was wearing it today) and pretty tough, however it doesn't feel in the same league as a zug boot. The waxy leather on the Snowdon does the job in damp conditions alright, but I don't think I'd go wading through brambles and thorns in it. With my Tricker's and old EG veldts I wouldn't even think about it. With my Lotus veldts, I don't think I'd think twice about trying to deflect bullets with them :D

That said, the Snowdon pattern is likely to be the basis of my next boot (MTO), if I can sort out exactly what leathers I want to use...or failing that, I'm sorely tempted to pop down to Jermyn Street in the next day or two as EG have two of their veldt (last 64) Galway models in stock in my size right now...

Wow I didn't know that EG Galway is made with veldt, are they charging the same price as the new release ones, which I think use GYW?

Not all Galways are - the only stock versions at the moment are the ones on last 64, I think. Most of the dressy versions you see online are of a normal welted build - the slimmer, more elegant lasts wouldn't be too suited for a bulky veldt boot.

eg2bdouble2bsoled2bshoe.jpg

Last 64 was used by EG for their veltdschoen boot in the 60s and thereabouts. It was called style 253 (or just a 'whole-cut Derby Boot') as t wasn't EG's practice to 'name' the various models at that time:

253250.jpg

My EG veldts are style 253/1, a variation made on the 25 last which was normally used for their outdoor shoes (maybe a customer MTO at the time?), seen in these older pics prior to resoling and wear:

dscf3776t.jpg

dscf3144a.jpg

tricker's

trickers.jpg

Sorry for brining this back from a couple days ago...but what color belt would you wear with these? They are great.

Crashtest, you are one of the most knowledgeable shoo peeps I've met on the interwebz. Thanks for sharing.

I'm considering getting a suede Arran for outdoor use. Any thoughts? Or should I just stick to my waterproof timberlands?

Too kind - I've just made some knowledgeable contacts over the past couple of years who are kind enough to share their knowledge and humour me with the time of day!

I use my rough-out Arrans in poor weather a lot, having waterproofed the leather and welt as much as I could, and have had no problems at all.

Getting a rough-out veldt boot was one of the options I was considering earlier this week, but it would have made my Arrans redundant - all said, there are only two things I'd change about the Arrans and that would have them veldt instead of goodyear and the size as I bought them when I was making the switch from trainers to 'proper' shit and went for a 'trainer fit'.

Ended up getting a full size up from what I would have gone for now, but they still fit ok with fat socks and get a lot of love.

And they look pretty amazing now, too.

If I were to buy them again though, I'd have them made as veldt boots as they follow the Snowdon pattern anyway, just on the 365 last.

(I went with a C&J MTO, by the way - a Snowdon on the Skye last with a combination of country grain and suede. Should be here in six to eight weeks, all being well.)

Sorry for brining this back from a couple days ago...but what color belt would you wear with these? They are great.

Wear what you like, colour matching your belt and shoes too closely can look pretty anal to my eyes! Tricker's make belts and wallets in a range of their leathers, but I don't think Acorn Antique is one of the colours that they use...

I'll just quickly echo CTB - don't worry about them matching. Just get a quality brown belt and you'll be set.

That I can do! I may have to save up for a pair of these....

Those Mallory boots are something else...I was impressed with the Cheaney stuff I saw at the Shoe Healer's place the last time I was up (more than they advertise on their own site), and it looks like they're upping their game a little more.

Are those Fiennes veldts? They look like a remixed Pennine, which is a sturdy boot if ever I handled one.

Again, though, with the price rises - you could pick up Cheaney boots for around the £220-240 mark a year or so ago, and now they are hitting the three ton mark now...I'd look twice at all three boots above though, no doubt about it, and they're still a few dozen quid less than Tricker's and Crockett's standard models.

As for jodphurs (first time I've ever typed the word, I think!), I'm not a fan but that's based on nothing beside my own gut preference. Possibly a little too refined for me, same as chelsea boots.

rmwboots1.jpg

these look much better to me than those. once had a pair in black and the build quality is good but I just couldn't deal with the silhouette of the pair I had. I wore everything so slim back then LOL

that said I sold them because I just don't wear anything black anymore... might consider a brown pair in about 10 years.

I think those Fiennes possibly are veldts, CBT.

- but I'm basing that off comparing to the Pennine! No actual mention of it on site which is odd.

.. and still divided over jodphurs here, and yeah it's a funny word to type just doesn't feel right somehow! Bit like not having laces, not sure I'd be able to cope!

PS - Ben, those EG's above are fantastic, simply fantastic. Is that moc cap or real?

That's why I thought that about the Fiennes, too.

I'd also think that they'd mention it, given that the profile of veldt boots is a little higher than a year or two ago (!). Don't know the 12508 last - Cheaney's usual veldt last is the 4436, or sometimes the 120 for older models.

Jodphur is a Hindi word, no? Brought over from the Raj along with words like pyjama, guru, thug and shampoo etc.

And the EGs do have a mock toe cap, which is a fairlycommon feature of veldt boots and shoes - a good way of adorning a boot which, because of its construction and function, ideally has a few seams near the ground as possible.

i like the new look of the fiennes and i am glad cheaney has had the sense to put speed hooks on those for a boot that high. it really does make taking them off and putting them on a lot easier (and faster). i have a pair of tricker's zug grain country boot which is a 8" boot and i usually have to work up a sweat when putting them on. the profile on the fiennes looks pretty good and would definitely be an option to pick up if i didnt already have 2 pairs of similar looking boots. surprised that the prices seem to have gone up though. i don't remember cheaney being priced this high in the past? was this a recent hike?

orlylow you might want to pick up some saphir products to put on a shine on those shoes. get some shoe trees while you're at it as well. the leather sole looks like it still has a lot of life left in them but i would put on a topy so that you don't break your neck in the recent wet weather locally. sure i do love the aesthetics of the leather sole but they are really slippery when wet.

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...