Levi's Vintage Clothing

Hey all - a random for you, with a motive. I have had this LVC jacket for a few years, but never seem to wear it as I should. Its probably been on my back a dozen times in 5 or more years, but I can never seem to give it up.

My challange to you all - Convince me to wear it, or help me to sell it. It's a size Large, made in the USA LVC Climate Sealed jacket. Washed black cotton, light enough for Sydney where I live most of the year round.

desu

Lucky (?) you to have caught me after a bottle of wine.

This is one of my favorite light LVC jackets. It really captures the quirkyness that their best pieces display. A nice boxy '50s cut (it's labeled as '30s, but I don't know if I buy that). The fit is loose and comfortable, but close at the waistband, so as not to look sloppy.The many removed patches (you can see darker shapes and stitching if you look close at the material, where additional patches were attached then removed post-wash) pick at my imagination. The silk elbow patches are a pleasure to touch.

But that's why I love it. If you don't see it, then i guess you should sell it. Not all of their pieces speak to everyone.

4573304436_ab2011f288_o.jpg

Thanks Mike. That would explain things for the overalls. But do you think the 40s and 50s jeans were made of such lightweight cloth as well...including brands other than Levis? Paul has assured us that from a Levis point of view the evidence is incontrovertible. What about other makers? Did the evolution from overalls to pants continue with the same light cloth?

Sorry I know very little about anything past 1895.

seriously, this thread is in overdrive; very interesting discussion!

and Mike , pre-ordered your book as well; looking forward to it

Hey guys, I just bought a pair of 555 valencia street 1947 501XX jeans off ebay.

They're marked 38" waist, but seem to have shrunk down to measured 34" waist. I am about 34" waist, maybe a bit less, and it fits ok - but it's not the 1947 slim fit I wanted. It's also measured 32" inseam. I think it would fit a 35" waist well or even 36" tight.

Thinking to sell or return if possible - would anyone here want them? If so give me a post to motivate me- kinda not bothered and would return if I can.

I'll post pictures later - going out right now.

It hurts me to sell - the denim is really really nice - seems like the old quality.

One thing though - they are stamped 555M irregular (on the inside of the pockets, not on the buttons), there's a flaw in the weave on the left leg at the back, but it's not noticable when worn (I actually don't see it usually anyway).

02323p.jpg

100_1497.jpg

No, Levi's haven't reproduced a model from this era.

THere's a 1890 501, which has the later "Copper riveted" as opposed to "patent riveted" 2-horse patch.

And no early 201.

It looks like that earlier version doesn't have 'Every garment guaranteed" on it, does that look right? And no separate space for the size.

INteresting that the price list has only the 2 and xx, later the 200 and 500xx series. I wonder if the 'Nevada' style, with the different pockets etc, morphed into the 2 model.

It's great that you've gone back to the original sources. V interested to see results of research on the fabric you mentioned.

maybe some of you already seem this 1890 203 before

hope the vtg store don't mind i borrow some of their pic

dp287-4.jpg

dp287-1.jpg

Also the Nevada have those 1872 rivets (details in PT's book), which seems weird as the original patent was drawn up in 1873.

I wonder what other early nevada/knappave style work pants that are in the archives, have those earlier rivets?

Cant wait for your book Mike, great to have you on board.

In line with some of the discussion that has been going on here, I always thought it was curious that the "Oldest Oldest" had press-on instead of sewn-on suspender buttons. It seems to me that press-on ones would be later.

Good eye, I didn't think about the buttons. Let me look at some of my pieces. How can anyone tell that that's the old wording is on the patch. It looks destroyed.

Guys, I need some advice. I'll be selling off one of my 1947s soon. I have a 2006 and a 2008 model. In your experience(s), which model year has been the more rewarding of the two to wear in?

How on earth have these 1954 501ZXX's shot up to £215? Same with the 1947s.....

http://www.oipolloi.com/store/LevisVintage-1947501XXRigidIndigo-2626.html

S'funny,

I was just looking at that site and saw the prices. This is the first I've seen yet, but apparently, all Lvc stuff is going up in price for the A/W season, from £155 to £215 (jeans at least) so get 'em while they're cheap!

How on earth have these 1954 501ZXX's shot up to £215? Same with the 1947s.....

http://www.oipolloi.com/store/LevisVintage-1947501XXRigidIndigo-2626.html

Holy shit, that's $325 in the US! Levis is crazy if they think people are going to pay those prices. Shit's already over priced as is!

Sounds like monkey see, monkey do to me. They see Japanese brands getting away selling jeans in that price range, they're going to try and do the same. They're expecting their average consumer to buy the hype and not know the difference between a pair of LVC and a pair of Sugar Canes or Warehouse.

So what does Levi's call this model now?

4764969699_60c1857f4c_o.jpg

4765606590_69157113cd_o.jpg

4764969947_9051c5ceda_b.jpg

Nice close up pictures, do I have this right, some one said this pair has the wording on the patch? What, did some one X ray this. It's been along time since I thought about sewn buttons or shank buttons. All 1870 levi's I have seen have sewn on buttons. Can any one find out how wording was seen on the patch(I think it was super faint)? The tool pocket that I owned had sewn suspender buttons. Does the Nevada jean have sewn buttons? if so it's older than the oldest oldest xx 1879. Seems to me it's 1880's

why even bother with olipolloi? When you can buy from cultizm. Or even go the Jap repro route.

True- Cultizm has always had new LVCs at less than MSRP. Or just wait and buy end of season sale items.

XX (the new home for LVC and some other high end Levi's ranges) is more its own entity now, is my understanding, and has to pay its own way, hence the price hikes.

Their challenge will be to up the quality a bit so that they compete solidly with high quality Japanese repros like SC & Warehouse.

The new A/W2010 stuff looks really promising. Smart to capitalize a bit on the success of Mr. Freedom and their nautical inspired items.

PaulT- are the jeans I posted above the "Oldest Oldest" model?

Roy6,

Those jeans are termed the XX, and the oldest/oldest, apparently dating from 1879.

Sansome1877

I have only seen a handfull of pics of the early non- 2 horse patches. There are about three (that i know of..) pairs of early levis with centre patches, outside the supposed three that Levis has in their archives. Also, there are at least two pairs of the youths duck pants in Japanese collections. Heres a pic of a nevada/knappave pair -

017.jpg

018-1.jpg

019.jpg

Sorry no pix of close-ups of early patches.

Some turn of the century (apologies if they have been posted before)

pix003.jpg

denimphotos007.jpg

The japanese book 'DENIM' from 1999 shows the 1873 duck closed front jumper which shos a close up pic of the early patch (sadly, I no longer have my copy)

so what's the deal with Levi's "Workwear" line... I see they're selling a 201.

What am I NOT getting if I buy a pair of them as opposed to the LVC line?

I don't suppose there are any LVC stockists in the Orlando area I can visit anyone know of?

I've seen some at Barney's Co-op outlet at the factory stores down by Disney. There are two big outlet malls but only the southern stores have the Barneys. Don't remember what they had since I just looked at the sizes in the stack and they were all smaller than 33 waist so I just walked away.

You're not getting anything with more than a 32 inseam from the sizes on the website. I would buy a pair if they had anything longer.

You are just getting the generic Levi selvedge (the Mexican selvedge) -- not the special 201 fabric. Also, if the pictures at levisstore.com are anything, you get a felled lap seam and no chainstitch. These also appear to be Sanforized (but that's just what I've gleaned). Probably not a bad option if cinches interest you, but you're not sure if a cinch-back could ever be a daily wear jean.