Levi's Vintage Clothing

Please forgive my advert. Just looking to find a nice home for a (basically) new pair of 1947 501, 38x36.

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?p=2791911

Thanks much!

Also, purchased and returned a pair of 1944 501 36x36 a couple months ago. Returned because raw they felt a little snug, so thought I shouldn't test it. Now I've lost a little girth, and found a pair of 1944's 36x36, new with tags on the eBay, so decided to give them a shot. They arrive today, and compared to the previous 36 44's, they are quite a bit larger. Waist measures 19" flat on this new pair. Also, this pair doesn't have the fancy colored pocket bags, just standard off-white, canvasy looking bags. Other than that, great pair. I can't tell what year they're from.

Looks like these will now go away too. Not sure if the eBay gent takes returns or not, just sent him a message. Perhaps LVC just isn't in the cards for me!

Sigh®

I've seen them recently and they didn't look slim to me, they were quite loose like most LVC cinchbacks. They're oversized too.

Paul T has described them briefly in his 501 guide and neither airfrog nor Dr Heech were overly impressed by them according to posts in this thread (if you can find them). The stitching is very pale, almost white and the denim (Cone I believe) was very flat, 2D looking. There's no chainstitched hem either. I'd rather have the '33s but if you can get them for cheap they'd be a good, unusual addition to your growing LVC collection.

They have pics on the aeroleather website too. Hope that's useful.

I sold mine a while back and the stitching is white. Love my 555 33s.

Please forgive my advert. Just looking to find a nice home for a (basically) new pair of 1947 501, 38x36.

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?p=2791911

Thanks much!

Also, purchased and returned a pair of 1944 501 36x36 a couple months ago. Returned because raw they felt a little snug, so thought I shouldn't test it. Now I've lost a little girth, and found a pair of 1944's 36x36, new with tags on the eBay, so decided to give them a shot. They arrive today, and compared to the previous 36 44's, they are quite a bit larger. Waist measures 19" flat on this new pair. Also, this pair doesn't have the fancy colored pocket bags, just standard off-white, canvasy looking bags. Other than that, great pair. I can't tell what year they're from.

Looks like these will now go away too. Not sure if the eBay gent takes returns or not, just sent him a message. Perhaps LVC just isn't in the cards for me!

Sigh®

Always, always ask for actual measurements...and if you do, consider that you may go tts on cinch backs and roomy cuts and go 1 or two sizes W and at least 2 L over on slim cuts.

dsc00991qy.jpg

By setterman at 2011-08-02

Amazing looking '55's Setterman, can't ask for better looking denim than that! Sorry you had patch repair problems. Here's a repair I made to my '47's sewing the patch from the inside. Yeah, it was difficult but I was just patient and sewed a little at a time. The piece of denim used for the repair is bigger than the hole so hopefully will re-enforce the weak area around it as it continues to see wear.

patchrepair.jpg

Amazing looking '55's Setterman, can't ask for better looking denim than that! Sorry you had patch repair problems. Here's a repair I made to my '47's sewing the patch from the inside. Yeah, it was difficult but I was just patient and sewed a little at a time. The piece of denim used for the repair is bigger than the hole so hopefully will re-enforce the weak area around it as it continues to see wear.

Thanks! 95% of the scorching disappeared, so my screw up was a lesson that didn't hurt too bad! Nice work on that back pocket. I bet it was a bear stitching along bottom, not a lot of room to work there without undoing the bottom edge of the pocket. After my scrubbing the scorch marks out, the whisker right below the patch it ready to open up, as are little spots right above and below the patch. Whole thing is going to need taken care of soon. I have some big pieces of scrap denim from when I got my SC66s hemmed, may shrink them up and try to reinforce the whole knee from the inside with it. Or, may put more of the iron on patches on the outside. I like the way the one I did turned out, and looking forward to seeing it wear and fade.

i dug this out from the vintage thread - good way of dating 70s/80s levis...

I find a good way to date little e stuff is looking at the back of the rivets. around the early 60's XX through to 70's they used plain thin silver rivets. in 1982 these rivets had a little ring around the edge of the rivet. so check yours and see if there is that post 1982 ring

also top button stamp, the most common is 524 and is early 80's with the little silver ring on the back of rivet ( i have a few pairs, by far the cheapest way to find selvage in your size).

but as paul said the best little e stuff is single stitch with plain silver rivets and a single digit back button number like 6, 2, 8 etc. and they fade much better.

however you do find single digit stamp, double stitched back pockets.

here are litte e examples

60's and 70's with no ring

tumblr_lcea66lDN61qdfd7i.jpg

http://bluegoldblues.com/post/1669931818/1970s-route-66-selvage-levis-501s

and 80's with ring (post 1982)

tumblr_lb0nrefFCb1qdfd7i.jpg

http://bluegoldblues.com/post/1425535920/rhondas-early-1980s-stonewash-double-stitch-501s

Really nice and interesting that they've got the same redcast-typical greyish tone like my pair, I love that! And yeah, 47's shrink a lot, even after later washes.

Shrinking was not really the problem, although you're correct about that. My problem was that I gained some weight. :o

I also like the tone you speak of. And like others on sufu I don't think that regular washing produces shitty results - especially not with this kind of denim.

With regular 501 STFs I would try not to wash them for a longer time. (after two soaks or sth.) Mine (yes, I bought a pair - mostly to experiment) lost a tone of indigo after 3 washes and are very blue now, nowhere near the dark indigo of a 55 after even more washes. I have to say the STFs were kind of an 'eye-opener' as to why I payed much more money for a 55/47. After all STFs are not THE worst jeans you could buy for 40 bucks.

You're right. Using Dr.Bronners and stuff like that is the foolproof way to wash drys, but, to be honest, I only use eco soaps for the first 2 or 3 washes. All my worn in jeans are washed frequently with regular washing powder- nothing bad happened. Uh, and I've also washed my 55's outside out by mistake, nothing happened, they're looking great.

I have actually never used Dr. Bronners. When I got interested in this vintage stuff I was mostly happy to have a nice pair of jeans and did not really care about the kind of washing powder as long as there are no bleaching-substances in it. I think I use regular Persil. I just make sure that the machine doesn't go in the spinning cycle as I don't like that marble effect. But that's the advice one gets when washing denim - even the regular non STF stuff..

I got a pair of 505s with a blue line and no pocket rivets. Tag states american made. The button number is 554, can anyone give me any help placing these?

554- SanAntonio. a genuine Levis plant not a contract made garment. SA is closed now. not sure what model you have, i've never seen a blue line 505.

You're right. Using Dr.Bronners and stuff like that is the foolproof way to wash drys, but, to be honest, I only use eco soaps for the first 2 or 3 washes. All my worn in jeans are washed frequently with regular washing powder- nothing bad happened. Uh, and I've also washed my 55's outside out by mistake, nothing happened, they're looking great.

Just to play devil's advocate-

I used to work at a hydro shop that also sold some houseplants, and the owner always told the greenhouse not to spray the plants with horticultural oil or soap (both of which are/contain contain oil) before shipping them (The oil makes them shiny and healthy-looking). When I asked her why, she told me that the oil treated plants got dirty faster, as the dirt adhered to the oil film, and they were therefore harder to clean afterwards.

As Bronner's does leave a slight oily film, even after rinsing -my face can attest to this- I would would guess, and my own anecdotal experience agrees, that denim washed in Bronner's or another oily soap gets dirty faster after a wash and the dirt adheres more than if it were washed with, say, Woolite or another mild non-oil -based soap.