Levi's Vintage Clothing

I really think one of the worst things done by Levi with regard to the "marketability" of LVC was closing the Valencia Street factory. Of course, we're talking about forces much bigger than one tiny sub-brand here, but I feel that was a huge factor in the heritage aspect of the brand. I still wonder how much they tried to hold on to that building and feel they could have made it work by turning it into a multipurpose building (museum, library, education center?) with a small portion still committed to churning out the LVC line.

I think a couple of people hit it on the head when they mentioned that it's tough to sell premium when your product is at JC Penneys and Target for $30 (that's probably high, right?). I think their web site is another great example. The art direction is pathetic. I wouldn't want to spend $150 on jeans on that site when it's right next to the mall jeans for $30. Not exactly the mecca for jeans and shouldn't that be Levi's site? Shouldn't it be a place jean lovers love to go?

I really think one of the worst things done by Levi with regard to the "marketability" of LVC was closing the Valencia Street factory. Of course, we're talking about forces much bigger than one tiny sub-brand here, but I feel that was a huge factor in the heritage aspect of the brand.

I thought this, too. Levi's trades on its heritage - and they could have exploited the Valencia Street site much better, virtual factory tours, etc. I did go on the factory tour in 1994 or so, it was an amazing place, and it's a tragedy the women who made those jeans are probably now working at Wal-Mart, if at all.

Of course, there are many intertwining problems here. One is simply the difficulty of being a mass market and elite brand at the same time. For that reason, punters are more likely to accept an expensive rip-off of Leiv's (True Religion, Mishiko Koshino, Evisu) than Levi's themselves.

Secondly are the macro-economic factors; things like heatlh-care and insurance costs for employers. The US prides itself on the capitalist system, but it's becoming impossible to make decent products for a reasonable price, because of the loading of extra costs.

but it's ignorant to say levis is failing because 'masses (copout)' don't want premium jeans.

When did I ever say they were failing? I said their is a limited market for their LVC line in the US, it is understandable that they are pulling that line from US shelves, and it is understandable that they are focusing on foriegn markets. The masses in the US do not want $200 jeans, do not look at Levis as a premium brand anymore, and I'd be willing to bet money that I'm one of not more than a dozen people wearing LVC (or any other brand of premium denim discussed on this group) in the blue collar/rural area (including the city of Erie) between Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Buffalo. And I doubt there's a heckuva lot of LVC, Nudies, Samurai, etc being worn in any of those three major cities.

are these the cone 1917s from japan that were mentioned recently on this thread?

http://cgi.ebay.com/LIMITED-LEVI-LVC-1917-501-SELVAGE-JEANS-JAPAN-BIG-E_W0QQitemZ220373990202QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_CSA_MC_Jeans?hash=item220373990202&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

they have redline selvage unlike the european 1917s made with kurabo denim. it says made in japan, but would they use cone denim?

If you consider buffalo a major city, then you suffer from problems of perception which no jeans can correct. :)

Ha! You make a good point! But when the closest city has a population of 100,000 people, a city with 270,000 is "major".

Guest DCDenim
When did I ever say they were failing? I said their is a limited market for their LVC line in the US, it is understandable that they are pulling that line from US shelves, and it is understandable that they are focusing on foriegn markets. The masses in the US do not want $200 jeans, do not look at Levis as a premium brand anymore, and I'd be willing to bet money that I'm one of not more than a dozen people wearing LVC (or any other brand of premium denim discussed on this group) in the blue collar/rural area (including the city of Erie) between Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Buffalo. And I doubt there's a heckuva lot of LVC, Nudies, Samurai, etc being worn in any of those three major cities.

do you think the average european wears $200 jeans? The masses in any country, do not want $200 jeans.. if you can cash in on even .5% of the country the brand would be a wild success.

also, can anyone tell me the % of Japanese wearing premium denim?

do you think the average european wears $200 jeans? The masses in any country, do not want $200 jeans.. if you can cash in on even .5% of the country the brand would be a wild success.

Cost is just one of the many reasons the LVC line has not been successful US. Probably the biggest. Now, if you want to go round and round about this, be my guest. But the LVC line has a better chance of improving Levis image abroad than it does at home, and it makes sense to focus on those markets. But as I've also said, the American market shouldn't be totally abandoned. There's no reason we shouldn't be able to have easy access to LVC online through a US store.

100% of Japanese wear premium denim. Don't you know?

i worked in a store that sold regular levi's red tab (511, 501, etc.) premium as well as LVC. i'd say 90% of the people coming in would not recognize the difference between the red tab 501's and the LVC 501's simply because they don't care, they're "just jeans" to them. all they see is the extra $100+ in price and decide to go with the cheaper ones off the bat.

I know this is way off topic so just tell me to drop it if this pisses everybody off BUT I bought my '47's so I'd have a good pair of jeans to wear with cowboy boots. I don't get boot cut jeans especially with cowboy boots to me the jeans should be fairly tight around the top of the boot on cowboys or engineers (biker) boots.

Does anybody know any interesting cowboy boot companies outside the major players?

also let me know if you think this would make a good thread on it's own like the belt or flight jacket threads.

Could anyone tell me where I can get a pair of selvage 47s? I saw over on Styleforum that a lot of people were picking them up really cheap.

I need a pair that will be about 32x30 after shrinking and stretching. What tagged size will give that to me? And where the hell can I pick them up?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.

are these the cone 1917s from japan that were mentioned recently on this thread?

http://cgi.ebay.com/LIMITED-LEVI-LVC-1917-501-SELVAGE-JEANS-JAPAN-BIG-E_W0QQitemZ220373990202QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_CSA_MC_Jeans?hash=item220373990202&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

they have redline selvage unlike the european 1917s made with kurabo denim. it says made in japan, but would they use cone denim?

yeah, those are them. don't know if they use cone or not.

I could ask next time I go to Levi's, but might be a while.

Actually, if you guys have q's about LVC jp, you can make a list and I'll ask the questions for you.

I ...I bought my '47's so I'd have a good pair of jeans to wear with cowboy boots. I don't get boot cut jeans especially with cowboy boots to me the jeans should be fairly tight around the top of the boot on cowboys or engineers (biker) boots.

Whoah. Your taste is at odds with the entire world!

I had the guys at cultizm measure a '55 for me.

Tag-size: 33/36

Now what they measured:

waist: 35 inch

thigh: 13 inch

knee: 9.75 inch

leg opening: 8.75 inch

inseam: 35.5 inch

front rise: 12.5 inch

back rise: 16 inch

Paul T said that the '55 are oversized. So are these supposed to shrink TO tag size and not FROM tag-size? (waist-wise)

Do they really shrink the full 2 inch in the waist and then stretch out 1 inch?

I had the guys at cultizm measure a '55 for me.

Tag-size: 33/36

Now what they measured:

waist: 35 inch

thigh: 13 inch

knee: 9.75 inch

leg opening: 8.75 inch

inseam: 35.5 inch

front rise: 12.5 inch

back rise: 16 inch

Paul T said that the '55 are oversized. So are these supposed to shrink TO tag size and not FROM tag-size? (waist-wise)

Do they really shrink the full 2 inch in the waist and then stretch out 1 inch?

They are not supposed to shrink to tag size. The tag size is supposed to be the genuine size, if that makes sense, it's just for some reason they are made too big. Either policy or fuckup.

I have Cinch's measurements for the current 55, and they are similarly oversized.

For 55, I would buy your ACTUAL waist size, as measured, so it looks as if you now need to size down two inches from tag for your correct size. This gives a reasonably trim fit.

IE, if you\'re a true 32 waist, like me, you will probably need to buy 30W tag size.

if anyone cares, i just saw some deadstock levis 501z(the zippered ones, i dont know what size) on the warehouse japan website. expensive, but they are authentic deadstock. again, buy Paul T's book. now.

Holy shit. And such a good size too. If I bought those I would have to wear them.

Is that a leather tag on those. Don't the reissues have a paper tag?

Holy shit. And such a good size too. If I bought those I would have to wear them.

Is that a leather tag on those. Don't the reissues have a paper tag?

These are very early 50s, the paper tag came in around 1954. And hence very valuable, examples with an intact leather tag are very rare indeed,

Haven't checked cos my broadband is slow today, can anyone see if the tag looks slightly embossed??

I cant really tell if it is embossed or not. if i had to give you an answer i'd say its not embossed. but it is very difficult to capture the embossing, which I learned the other day when I was trying to photograph my leather patches to post in this forum.

nice original price tag on those. $3.98

also, does anyone have a fit comparison or a description of the color of the denim for the 1927 501? I'm lookin for something a little more tapered than the 37 and really dark denim, but has a cinch back and belt loops. the 501 guide says these are similar to the 1901, is that in fit and color?