Levi's Vintage Clothing

I just got my new '47's from Cultizm. Great service ordered them and two days later they're in Connecticut from Germany. The odd thing is they are marked 36w - 34L and Cultizm says they should measure 35w - 34L but out of the box but they measure 38w. If they shrink down to a 35w that would be great. Anybody had a similar experience? What do you think?

I just got my new '47's from Cultizm. Great service ordered them and two days later they're in Connecticut from Germany. The odd thing is they are marked 36w - 34L and Cultizm says they should measure 35w - 34L but out of the box but they measure 38w. If they shrink down to a 35w that would be great. Anybody had a similar experience? What do you think?

that is really weird...and goes against everything i've ever heard in regards to sizing 47s. thats really annoying to hear. I hope they work out. is it not possible to have dejan send you the measurements of the actual pair he will mail you?

I was always under the impression that levis tagged size was intended to be after the expected shrinkage (meaning a tagged 36 shrinks to a 36). I saw that note on cultizm and was wondering if levis was moving towards the more avant garde sizing method to make fatties feel skinnier.

that is really weird...and goes against everything i've ever heard in regards to sizing 47s. thats really annoying to hear. I hope they work out. is it not possible to have dejan send you the measurements of the actual pair he will mail you?

I might be wrong, but I had a couple pairs of 47s and they were all tagged 30, measured 32 before soak, and measured 30.5 after soak and stretched to a 31 after a couple days of wear. These were older 47s, maybe around late 90s early 2000s, but a pair I bought in 2005 measured the same way.

I could have been on crack for all those years though.

as far as I know when the tag reads 501XX the tag size is the size pre-wash.

if there's no XX then the tag size is the tag size.

I've never had a pair of XX stay the same size as the tag...

as far as I know when the tag reads 501XX the tag size is the size pre-wash.

if there's no XX then the tag size is the tag size.

I've never had a pair of XX stay the same size as the tag...

^

This is the usual rule of thumb for LVC (except for '47's) as far as I know. This is what the Cultizm page says for the 47's:

"Measurements: waist runs 1'' less than tagged, inseam / length is true to size

Example: Tagged size 34''-34'', measured size 33''-34'' "

The above is pretty much the rule of thumb for 47's if you look back on the thread but I'm also pretty sure there have been other entries over the last couple of months were people said the '47's sizing was changing along the lines of what I got.

I think it'll work for me anyway. I won't have to worry about shrinkage as much. I just hope they are still classic slim fit in the legs.

Posted these in the Evolution thread last night and Erk suggested posting here as well.

They are LVC 1933's from about 4 or 5 years ago. They were my first selvedge jeans so made sense that they'd be the first pair to post here

33s_front.jpg

33sback.jpg

33s_label.jpg

33s_backleg.jpg

33s_cuff.jpg

I'll get round to photographing some more from my collection soon...

Are you sure you didn't find those in an abandoned mine somewhere? I mean jeez, the patina and fade look that great, I've seen nothing like it. Looks like they still have a lot of life left in them too -- a testament to that teflon coated Cone denim. Can't wait to see what they look like in another 4-5 yrs.

LVC 1947 are no longer undersized.Cultizm need to revise their sizing instructions. I've posted this a few times, but obviously this is a big change. the 32W and 34W run true to size, looks like the bigger sizes might actually be oversized.

I don't think they'll shrink down three inches. If it were me I would ask Cultizm to measure a few pairs and see if they have any true to size, or else find a large-sized 34. It's a pain for them, but it is their responsibility.

Speak'n of 47s I got this in an e-mail a day or so ago from Dejan. All you Valencia St fans looks like Cultizm scored big. These you do need to get a larger size in.

Comming soon:

1947 501xx made on Valencia Street, San Francisco, California

This wonderful item will be available within the next 7-14 days in these sizes:

28/34 - 30/38 - 32/36 - 34/40 - 40/38

29/34 - 31/32 - 32/40 - 36/32 - 42/34

29/36 - 31/34 - 33/38 - 36/38 - 42/36

30/32 - 31/36 - 33/40 - 36/40

30/36 - 31/38 - 34/38 - 40/34

Hey electrum,

Amazing '33's! Don't think I've ever seen a pair of repro denim look so good.

How long did you go between washings on those babies?

Sorry, but you have me confused with "The Clerk" -- he's the proud owner of those gems. I can only hope that my '33's age that well...

LVC 1947 are no longer undersized.Cultizm need to revise their sizing instructions. I've posted this a few times, but obviously this is a big change. the 32W and 34W run true to size, looks like the bigger sizes might actually be oversized.

I don't think they'll shrink down three inches. If it were me I would ask Cultizm to measure a few pairs and see if they have any true to size, or else find a large-sized 34. It's a pain for them, but it is their responsibility.

Thanks for the confirmation. I thought I had seen you and some other folks discussing a change to the '47 fit.

sorry to repost, but I really want a pair of 1947 32 X 34 if they can be found on sale and my WTB threads keep getting pushed back. I'll pay a commission and even get two if I have to. need help fast, my dad who is going to India next weekend so need these before he leaves. please PM me!

Will also take 55's/37's

I have a question about 1947s.

I have a pair of Saddleman and they fit quite like how 1947s should fit.

yet for those of you who own the 1947s in the Exile, Brain Dead wash.....

the denim and fit seem to be quite different the denim feels really light and the fit feels a bit more relaxed...can anyone explain ?

thanks.

Stupid noob question - if I buy a pair of 1927s from Ratuken and another pair from cultizm, what exactly would the difference be? Different denim? Different sizing? From the photos on the two websites they seem identical...

Although I've never done it myself, buying LVC from Japan looks like it could be confusing.

In addition to having the EU-based LVC, Japan appears to have their own collection...one rule of thumb...if it's "Made in the USA" what you'd get from Ratuken would be the same as what you'd get from Cultizm.

It also appears that on the whole, japan and europe get the same "catalog" each season. That could be an incorrect perception on my part though...

Shorty (and you) are correct, LVC Japan tend to carry the whole Euro range, and augment it with a few models of their own. Then they might vary the washes too, and of course they had the modified cuts a couple of years ago.

For something like the 1927, it will be the same production.

The JP LVC is a lot different from the EU/US LVC. Even if they have the same models the denim is different as is some of the detailing, like shape of pockets etc. Also, sizes are wayyy different. JP LVC are often undersized when raw and shrinks to 2-3" less than tag size.

Some garments, like I think a shirt I saw, is the as in EU but its mostly different.

I stand corrected. IN 2003 they were definitely using US production for 2/3 of their models (LVC was originally a joint venture overseen by Japan and Europe), obviously that's changed.

Are you sure the denim is different, though? It's definitely Cone for the 1927-83 models, is it a different spec?

Although I've never done it myself, buying LVC from Japan looks like it could be confusing.

In addition to having the EU-based LVC, Japan appears to have their own collection...one rule of thumb...if it's "Made in the USA" what you'd get from Ratuken would be the same as what you'd get from Cultizm.

My 47's I got this week from Cultizm that didn't follow the usual 47 sizing are made in Belgium not USA.