The Flat Head

LFC4ever

3 hours ago, el padre said:

Everyone got their own tastes but... I think these are spot on as they are. They'd be my Sunday best / job interview / up in court jeans if they were mine.

Lol thanks, I can see your point but I'd be embarrassed to wear something with such egregious crotch-fading when I'm trying to look respectable. (I really don't understand why that is, by the way. These aren't tight in the crotch at all.)

17 minutes ago, Cold Summer said:

Lol thanks, I can see your point but I'd be embarrassed to wear something with such egregious crotch-fading when I'm trying to look respectable. (I really don't understand why that is, by the way. These aren't tight in the crotch at all.)

Yeah fair enough :-) i might think twice about wearing them to a job interview with that fade. Depending on the job. Although... Don't you risk a higher contrast crotch fade if you wash less?

I picked up TFH Single Riders jacket in a 42 from R&H back in the early summer. It was too hot to wear it when I got it, so it sat for a few months. I started wearing it when it got cool enough in the fall, and immediately realized the 42 was too small. With just a tee, it fits like a well tailored shirt. Buit with any type of over shirt it's too tight and restrictive. So i got the 44. To me, the 44 looks big on me, but it's very comfortable and easy to wear. I sent fit picks to Danny and his crew, he replied saying that he and everyone there said the 44 looks like a much better fit. I'm selling the 42 and have it listed in the for sale thread. 

It's a truly gorgeous jacket! It's just about everything I've wanted in a leather jacket. From the fit, styling, leather, and details. 

20211110_170659.thumb.jpg.fd5d3f0f2a8cf1829f1456f5de274015.jpg

20211110_173226.thumb.jpg.ae38fb8278fc8706b5313d8c71116a44.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, 1fookntitefd said:

Do you have BIG style measurements if so please post!

Waist 93 cm

Front rise 28 cm

Back rise 41 cm

Thigh 34 cm

Knee 24.4 cm

Leg opening 21.6 cm

I do not know initial inseam measurement, jeans were hemmed before shipping accordingly to requested length.

11 hours ago, Talan said:

Waist 93 cm

Front rise 28 cm

Back rise 41 cm

Thigh 34 cm

Knee 24.4 cm

Leg opening 21.6 cm

I do not know initial inseam measurement, jeans were hemmed before shipping accordingly to requested length.

Are these fully shrunk? Asking because every pair of flathead i owned shrunk about 2 inches from tag size…

1 hour ago, 1fookntitefd said:

Are these fully shrunk? Asking because every pair of flathead i owned shrunk about 2 inches from tag size…

It was soaked but not machine washed. It seems to me it stretches a lot too.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, KPJ said:

I was at Self Edge yesterday and they said Flat Head is back in business!! Where can I get more information about this? What cuts are they going to be making? Still using pioneer denim? 

There's a lot of stuff on their website. Still selling the core models - 3005, 3009, 3001, 3002. Recently introduced a new model, the 3004, which is a relaxed fit with a slight taper. As far as I can tell the denim hasn't changed. There's still plenty of old stock floating around on Japanese sites like Yahoo Auctions, and 2ND.

The collection seems much smaller than in their early-mid 2010s heyday, but it looks good. Some of the new flannels look quite nice.

6 hours ago, persco_ said:

What's the best way to buy from the Flat Head? I want to get a couple of things from their site, including the single rider leather jacket in black. But I'm not sure if they ship overseas. Anyone here ordered directly from flat-head.com?

2nd is great, just copy paste google translate translation under yr original english message to email them. https://www.rakuten.ne.jp/gold/2nd/

After all these years, I finally tracked down another one of the CW-68W red Native Check shirts in 42, which I stupidly sold years ago and regretted ever since. In (seemingly) great condition! For a good price!

Selling this shirt was dumb, because it fit pretty good. For me, this is the greatest Flat Head shirt of all time, the fabric, color, details are all just perfect. Here's a shot from back in 2012:

51.thumb.png.fb82b01c0d032865fd389d6c4019b4de.png

Speaking of eBay finds, I also came across a deadstock HNW-61W in size 42. I've had the green version of this shirt for ten years now and it's probably my most-worn shirt of all time. I'd be tempted to buy this as well but I already have several yellow flannels and don't need another one.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the single rider's jacket in over dyed black tea-core, but it's a really really dark brown, not quite black - see my post above. The latest batch that R&H has received and put up on their web shop appears to be more black than the batch I purchased from. Both are nice, but I think I prefer a true black, as much as I love dark brown so dark it's almost black. 

For sizing on this jacket, it's typical TFH slim through the body and arms with wide chest and very wide shoulders. It depends on what you plan to wear underneath it. In the 42, I could wear just a tee and it fit like a well tailored shirt. But with any type of overshirt, it was too tight and constricting, so I went with the 44. I think the 44 looks big on me in pics, but it's much more comfortable and a pleasure to wear. The little extra length in the arms and body is also welcome. Let me know if I can offer anything else. 

I'm still trying to move the 42... 

I have a new black version of the TFH single rider's jacket arriving Wednesday. I got it to replace the brown version I bought used. The tag size on my brown one is 40, but it's definitely the chest size, not a normal size 40. My chest is ~40 (39.5" to be exact), and the jacket fits me with no room for more than a t-shirt. P2P is like 19.5". Shoulders are just under 18". It would fit a normal but trim size 38 This is an older version, I think. The new ones have different measurements. So the size 40 on the current new version measures around 44 in the chest and 19" across the shoulders.

Here's the fit of the one I have in brown:

EHv0dot.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, which one of you jokers is going to get these new Flat Head overalls? Same 12 oz denim as my always-popular 7002W denim shirt, so we know it's capable of ferocious fades. Somebody wear these every day for six months working on restoring your 1989 GMC Suburban you rescued from the auto graveyard before the first wash and get back to us.