The Flat Head

LFC4ever

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a few standard TFH workshirts (HN-52W, CO-30W) that fit pretty well besides being too big in the neck, and I have one 7104 Western shirt (Long Horn style tag) that fits great everywhere

Looking now at the standard TFH Western shirts (F-DS101 or similar—standard TFH style tag, not Long Horn): to which of the above do they fit more similarly? Any insight?

Edited by julian-wolf

Got this great Flat Head Native Check short sleeve in 42 for cheap on Grailed. Fits pretty much perfect, definitely better than my Native Check westerns I had years ago. I think these are cut differently because this shirt is 1-2" longer than my westerns in the same size, I'm sure of it. I really like this color, it's supposed to be gray but it looks more like a light purple, which doesn't look like anything else in my closet.

IMG_1393.thumb.png.4ef0b1c259b41537fcd2a31dbec21ed9.png IMG_1401.thumb.png.802b63b39daf17015dd7c86d8f55d5f6.png

IMG_1406.thumb.png.ed86134708f34e171c5e0a57069dff9f.png IMG_1407.thumb.png.39bb657ab799ed19f873d12ca812873d.png

Anybody have the long sleeve green Native Check in 42? I'd buy it. :D

2 hours ago, Cold Summer said:

Anybody have the long sleeve green Native Check in 42? I'd buy it. :D

I have a short-sleeved Western with the square snaps in 42... it's never fit me (unless I wear it open, which is not a thing I do). It's a nice red/grey plain check. If I can remember where it is I'll dig it out and take a pic; perhaps it's of interest to someone here..

Edited by mondo

1 hour ago, mondo said:

I have a short-sleeved Western with the square snaps in 42... it's never fit me (unless I wear it open, which is not a thing I do). It's a nice red/grey plain check. If I can remember where it is I'll dig it out and take a pic; perhaps it's of interest to someone here..

Send me some measurements and pics, I'd be interested if I think it'd fit me.

1 hour ago, Cold Summer said:

Send me some measurements and pics, I'd be interested if I think it'd fit me.

Ha... I feel bad now – I rummaged around upstairs and found the shirt, but mondo jr has claimed it. I'd forgotten he'd started to take an interest in clothing... at 13, he's 6' with a 30" waist (the bastard) and will easily eclipse me in the coolness stakes if he hasn't already. As it should be!

Nice to see fresh Cold Summer posts in the FH thread, though! All we need is itsbenhere to have bought up all the legacy items out there before new production kicks in..

No worries! As long as it goes to somebody who enjoys it. :wink:

Yeah, I haven't been on SuFu much lately. This year was supposed to be my "no buying new clothes year" (which, as you might be able to tell from above, I haven't *exactly* achieved, but I have cut my spending by like 90-95% so it's been a good experience overall.) On top of that, I've been preoccupied with more important life things in recent months (like the birth of my daughter!) so I haven't given the clothing hobby as much attention.

I only have a couple of Flat Head shirts, my 3005s, two pairs of sneakers, and a couple other small things these days. The last shirt I bought was over two years ago, when I found that yellow Glory Park flannel for cheap on eBay. But I'm always on the lookout for shirts if they seem like they'll fit me, as I still think Flat Head's shirts are the best in all regards except for fit (usually.) The FH stuff that fits well I'll keep for life.

TFH 3001 bought these from self edge back in 2009.  Wear them for everything, mainly my go to for home projects etc.  washed tons of times.  Repairs to crotch blowouts/pockets/hems.  I have tons of extra pieces from getting past jeans hemmed,  used one to repair the knee finally.  Still as comfortable as ever.

E5387503-A8A8-4438-BCCB-49A7322BF2D9.jpeg

DB3277DD-F9A9-4CE0-B133-8BA6550D4A1C.jpeg

On 10/29/2020 at 9:30 AM, JDelage said:

Measurements look great! Seems like they kept the wider shoulders and shorter length, and opened up the chest more. Still got some decent taper to the bottom opening, which I always liked about FH tops. 

On 10/21/2020 at 11:32 PM, mondo said:

Ha... I feel bad now – I rummaged around upstairs and found the shirt, but mondo jr has claimed it. I'd forgotten he'd started to take an interest in clothing... at 13, he's 6' with a 30" waist (the bastard) and will easily eclipse me in the coolness stakes if he hasn't already. As it should be!

Nice to see fresh Cold Summer posts in the FH thread, though! All we need is itsbenhere to have bought up all the legacy items out there before new production kicks in..

You rang? :P

But actually, I do have some new stuff I could post that I've got over the years... I should get around to that! Like Cold Summer, some big life changes, so just fell off posting here for some reason...

haha.. impressive, I didn't even use that tag thingy. I tend not to post much (whatever my count is, over 15 years it probably amounts to once a week), but I do remember the days when seeing a Cold Summer or itsbenhere post on the FH thread would be reason to start my clicking there...

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2019 at 3:09 PM, SuperJackle said:

With the recent TFH developments, I thought now might be the time to move on a pair before they may or may not become nonexistent. Since I’ve had some hit or miss with mainline flat head fits, the measurements on the one-wash R&H x TFH x RJB 004 looked great, so I pulled the trigger. This is not your normal “relaxed tapered” or high tapered. It is a fuller cut with a very versatile 7.8” hem, size 33 and hemmed to 31” length. 

The one wash measurements are as follows and I gotta say, R&H were spot on with their size chart:

waist 16.5”, front rise 11”, back rise 15” thigh 13”, knee 13” down 9”, hem @31” length = 7.8”

A238FF43-79DE-4789-9F76-4220684988F5.jpeg

Pocket bags seem about as thick as normal from TFH or RJB. Although I have a pair of 1015 in the exceed denim which have thicker pocket bag material.  Pocket openings are also very usable! The shape seems to have been cut a litter bigger than even 3005, and the top block has been designed to hug the hips a little less in order to access the pockets.

Youve all seen this denim for a minute, so I won’t go really into that, but it’s pretty insane 14oz left hand twill. 

@SuperJackle (or anyone else who has this pair) How have you been along with these? What has the shrinkage / stretch been like with additional washes / soaks? Strongly considering these as my next pair. Undecided between a 33 and 34. On paper, a 33 1-wash would suite me well, But I've been going with 34's in other pairs for the extra room in the thighs. And, in my experience, there's always a little more shrinkage to be had. So I'd prolly go with a 34 just to be safe... 

I have a pair of SE RJB 105BSP in 33 that are too tight in the thigh, but they are a slimmer cut than this 004. 

I have a pair.  Bought the one wash 32, normally wear 33 or 34 in FH.  They have stretched out to a comfortable fit but didn’t over stretch.   I have been wearing for about a month and a half now without washing.  

I did hot soak them when I got them before wearing and I maybe got 1/2” inseam shrinkage and that’s about it. Nothing much that I remember.  R&H measurements were pretty spot on.  

So far I love them.  Glad I didn’t size up.  I think if I did I would have to wash them more often to tighten them back up.  

Anything else specific let me know.