Studio D'artisan

LFC4ever

Hog, SDA 101s fit pretty true to size or you could size down one and stretch them out slowly by about an inch. By that I mean get them back to their raw size from post-wash - not as easy as some other denim.

I'm probably a true 33 and wear size 32 in all of my jeans including my 101s. Mine are in need if another wash and the waist is probably around 33.5-34 now, which is about the raw measurement.

My 001s on the other hand fit bigger in the waist and rise, so I sized down to a 31. They are still raw and measure about 34.

Gnomes... if you read this could you report on your SD-101's assuming they've had some look in over your FC0105's!

I wouldn't mind knowing how much stretch you got out of them ... I know you went 33, was that true to size? 

From my understanding SDA stuff seems to fit a size smaller than some of the other repro. Or so I read.

cheers mate....

I can get you some measurements tonight.  The waist is a tad snug on mine however, as they seem to shrink a bit more in the waist.  They also do not in my experience stretch in the waist like the Full Count denim does.  

yes, I went true to size.  I am generally a 33

Edited by garden gnomes in space

another thing I should add is that I am very aware of hip measurements in jeans and how they fit me.  The SDA's seem to be a bit snugger in the top block that my FC 0105's and Warehouse 415's.  I could put this assumption to rest by measuring.  The rise is also maybe .5" lower as well.  I doubt that would make much of a difference in fit but maybe it does.  

TL;DR = I prefer the fit of my FC 0105 and WH 415 to the DSA 101's, but maybe I just need to wear the SDA's into submission a bit more.  

Edited by garden gnomes in space

Hoggy,

These may work for you in a size 34 looking at the (washed) measurements on the chart:

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/frisbee/item/10000398/

They're the 01 cut but in a 14oz denim (I've heard in the past this is a partially sanforized Cone denim) with no hidden rivets and at a great price. I've seen these in American Classics a few years back (about £200 I believe) and they look good. I understand there's an inch shrinkage on the waist. Someone with better knowledge may be able to chime in.

The pocket tab and arcs look like the pre-lawsuit ones by the way so this may be something if a stock clearance.

rise does make a lot of difference in sizing jeans for me. all to do with my particular anatomy. i'm asian so i've got thin legs and barely any arse, but considerable deep-fried tempe belly. so lower rise (mid- to nearly low-, 10 inch minimum like on my dry bones red-d) actually works better for me overall, since if the rise is too high i will have to size up on the waist to accommodate my gut, and then my arse and legs will suffer in fit (too loose) as a result. the (occidental) formula that the waist measurement should be bigger as the rise gets lower doesn't work for me, since my hip is smaller than my waist/belly! :D a case in point: with the sda 103 cut which i got in the champloo/ok-515 form, i was a bit undecided whether to get the 33 or 34. the waist measurements on those sizes don't seem to differ that much when raw, maybe an inch. but since the rise on the 33 was lower i decided to get the 33, assuming that even if the waist is a bit tighter it's not gonna be high enough to dig into my belly. and this reasoning was (sort of) justified in the end, once washed the rise got even lower, so the waist measurement works fine, and i can still stuff myself with all the tempe i want. i won't be able to have another child though, since the 103 is a veritable ballcrusher. i suppose that's just the price i've got to pay to feel kuniyoshi-san's handiwork on my legs.

Edited by oomslokop

Anyone have any experience with the SDA Storm Rider jacket in one-wash?

I tried on the used variant at Blue in Green several months back, a 38, I think and it was a size too small.

However, the one-wash version seems more generously sized. There are plenty of measurements and modeled photos on Rakuten, but still I struggle to pick a size. The guys wearing a 38 are similar in height, but 3-5kg lighter. I'm not sure what to make of the chest measurements because of the inner lining. The sleeves on the 40 will definitely be long.

I don't anticipate that it will shrink too much with the sanforized denim and infrequent washing it will receive.

• 4 weeks later...

Bought a second pair of SDA XXX-28 from Naoki at Pants Shop Avenue recently (my opinion the XXX-28 are among the best SDA has made; possibly the best). Just want to say what a pleasure it is to deal with Naoki. He is a perfect gentleman who speaks flawless English and is always accommodating. Japan to Florida in 3 days!

Hi everybody,

I'm new to this forum and kinda new to japanese jeans, but I'm interested in buying a sd-103 as I guess that this fit is really nice. I'm not sure about the actual measurements as I can't try them on in a store. So I must order some pair and would like to know about your experiences if they are true to size?!

Hi everybody,

I'm new to this forum and kinda new to japanese jeans, but I'm interested in buying a sd-103 as I guess that this fit is really nice. I'm not sure about the actual measurements as I can't try them on in a store. So I must order some pair and would like to know about your experiences if they are true to size?!

You guessed right.  Check out BiG for measurements.  The 103 is a slim straight cut with a low back rise, fitted top block.  for someone young and/or relatively lean, TTS is probably your best bet on the 103. If you have large quads relative to your waist, you might consider sizing up 1.   I've got over 20 pairs of Japanese denim (I need counseling, obviously) and the 103 is hands-down my favorite cut.  Good choice.

• 2 weeks later...

lololol

Have you even read the posts above yours? On the same page? That will give you an idea of stretch. If you want more specific information, e.g. stretch on thigh, waist, etc then ask for it. Don't be so lazy and vague.

Anybody else with me on saying these are the most rugged, most color holding jeans they've ever worn?

Out of all the jeans I've ever worn, these 101s have held their color the longest, not had any spots of considerable wear more than others, any stitching issues, crotch wear issues or anything else. Going on a year now and they look like I've had them for a couple months. I wear them daily.

Anybody else with me on saying these are the most rugged, most color holding jeans they've ever worn?

Out of all the jeans I've ever worn, these 101s have held their color the longest, not had any spots of considerable wear more than others, any stitching issues, crotch wear issues or anything else. Going on a year now and they look like I've had them for a couple months. I wear them daily.

AGREED! iron heart crotch repaired after 9 months,sda 103 2.5 years......

The crotch went on mine in roughly the same time as my Flat Heads, Eternals, LVC, Edwin, etc. the colour is holding up very well though, apart from the white knees! They are a very rugged pair and I've had no stitching issues other than the arcs, but I'm not bothered about that anyway.

It's all personal preference, there is no sure way to do it off the bat. I would throw mine in the wash, minus the spin wash, and after that I would just let them hang dry. 

You can soak, but be aware you're not going to get rid of all the shrinkage in one go.

Well I got the beginning of a hole in the crotch after 4 months and another one around 8 on my 103s. I fixed both asap and they never spread. That being said, as mentioned, the quality of the stitching is amazing and the texture/contrast combo of the fabric is super impressive. They're my favorite, best looking jeans too.

If I had to tell the same story about some raw denim, I would say my momos 0805SP are what you describe. There's no sign of heavy wear after 8-9 months. The crotch is in perfect condition. They just feel invincible. And they're harder to break in than the 103s were.

Both awesome brands with unique texture and fading characteristics.

Not trying to derail this thread, but IMO the stitching / thread makes the most difference. I have not a single pair that has had rips, tears or crotch blowouts. The only noticeable difference is cotton vs. poly thread, and my Momotaro 0905SP was the worst. I had to restitch almost every part.

What I'm trying to say: ask 10 guys and you will get 12 opinions on the "most rugged & indestructable" jeans. And  others will claim them to be crap. We don't know how somebody sized his jeans, how hard he wears them or what he does in them. Those Observationsare always are too subjective to use them as general rule here.

Edited by Max Power