Studio D'artisan

LFC4ever

Been a lurker here for years but decided to finally make an account. Hello sufu'ers!

Just got back from a trip to Japan where I bought a pair of sd-107's. I wasn't going to buy jeans, but a friend persuaded me to go to the SDA store in Harajuku and as soon as I tried on a pair I fell in love and I knew I had to buy. These are the first slubby pair I've ever owned and already my favourite. Previous pairs have been two pairs of Imp's, a MiJ Lee and a N&F I got in Vancouver (will make separate posts for these), but these SDA's are the best.

32W (I'm 172cm) with no tailoring to the jeans - a great fit off the shelf. When I tried them on I could barely do the buttons up, but they've already stretched a bit after 2 days of wear and are really quite comfy compared to what I endured with my other jeans. I probably could've sized down 1 more, but at the time when trying them on I felt like these were the tightest I could get into.

Initial fit pics, apologies for the phone cam:

9500564741_47caacee87_z.jpg

9503365420_08858a11ab_z.jpg

9500564873_6a9e67caf5_z.jpg

9500563335_ceb1b25d84_z.jpg

9503365854_f64f54c56b_z.jpg

Great first post Dogenzaka! You definitely made the right decision not to size down because that fit is, in my mind, exactly how that cut should fit. I like that you got the natural leather belt at the same time, as it will be rewarding to see both the denim and leather evolve together. Studio D'Artisan jeans do seem to take some patience but if you stick with them, the evolution is incredible. Keep us updated from time to time won't you?

Definitely will :)

I'll take some better pics, and I've got the other pairs in my collection that I want to show to the community. The MiJ Lee's are going on 4 years now no wash...lol. Might have taken it a bit far, but I loved them so much I just didn't want them to change! Will be doing a soak on those and posting before and after pics in the coming days.

Welcome Dogenzaka,

Good to see some SDA action again. Did you buy your jeans one wash or have you soaked them already? If not, you may have trouble down the line as the 15oz denim shrinks a bit in the waist and does not stretch out easily. Also, I wouldn't call it slubby, it's one of the smoothest denims I own!

Bought them 1-wash, the unsanforized jeans at SDA were really expensive and apparently they don't have much stock available. I paid 21000 yen for these which I think is a great deal for such a high quality product.

All my other jeans have been super smooth, this one has a bit of hair and white freckles on it. I wasn't sure if I'd like it when I held the jeans in my hand, but once they were on I saw the light. The next pair (won't be for a few years) will be the slubbiest denim I can find!

Your jeans are unsanforized, they've simply been washed once to remove the shrinkage. Also, the hairiness and white specks do not indicate slubbiness, which relates to irregularities in the weave, they're just a sign that the denim is neither sanforized nor singed. Your Lees, Imperials and N&F were probably all sanforized.

Anyway, enough from me, keep posting!

Your jeans are unsanforized, they've simply been washed once to remove the shrinkage. Also, the hairiness and white specks do not indicate slubbiness, which relates to irregularities in the weave, they're just a sign that the denim is neither sanforized nor singed. Your Lees, Imperials and N&F were probably all sanforized.

Anyway, enough from me, keep posting!

Ahh that makes sense, thanks for clearing that up. I still get a bit confused with this stuff, but that's why I'm here  :blush:

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/09/2013 at 5:48 PM, movingslow said:

yeeeesh!  well done vgadjo

On 13/09/2013 at 7:08 PM, Bobbo said:

Looks amazing Vgadjo! Hope mine will turn out that well.

Thank you guys. Though the denim is incredible and the construction impressive, I've had to fix them a few times. I used denim patches from my hemmed pbj 005. It's all done by hand as you can tell. It's a bit messy but it gives some character.

Fixing your jeans is part of the journey! Here are a few examples:

9762857114_5495203b1b_n.jpg9762847246_507b374130_n.jpg

Reinforced pocket bags.  As I keep my thumbs in my pockets quite often, some holes had appeared.

10087965454_137e58fd4e_n.jpg9762634702_64a6a9c050_n.jpg

Reinforced button holes. These began shredding after 8-10 months. Used pieces of selvedge line to fix some.

9762847364_35b516df2b_z.jpg

Crotchs fixes. Quite usual, it's better to fix them ASAP before they start spreading.

Edited by vgadjo

Champloo  OKI-515 : SU1 @W34

Limited Edition

Serial Numbered

Produced by Double Volante

15oz, SD-103 silhouette, mid rise straight leg fit
Crotch rivet

Front pocket openings reinforced with extra pocket lining
Half lined back pockets
Blue line selvage
Deerskin leather patch 

'still working on the 101s & 105s,  so these will remain dry for quite awhile_ w/ tags & all.

kmmx.JPG

s7a6.jpg

0vzl.jpg

Edited by BrownMetallic

The 15oz denim will stretch, but not easily and it'll take some time. Right now, those jeans are probably as tight as they'll get, so if you are managing with slight discomfort, you'll be ok in a couple of weeks with regular wear.

• 2 weeks later...