Ande Whall Denim

iloveredstripe

I emailed ande about a contest, we'll see what he says. honestly, I really want to see how the regular denim fades. with him changing sources so often, I think the current japanese batch is really something special. with me being such a big fan of zimbabwe denim, I suggest we try something like that. or see if he can source something similar. weight wise, I don't wanna do something super heavy weight. it's impossible to wear during the summer, plus honestly, it's a gimmick. so let's say 13-15oz, 15oz max?

I do love the standard 14.5 oz 15oz but I'd love to see Ande go at a 18oz, contest wouldn't happen for a while though, I'm sure he's backed up and I heard his town got hit by an earthquake... his studio got messed up I beleive

I emailed ande about a contest, we'll see what he says. honestly, I really want to see how the regular denim fades. with him changing sources so often, I think the current japanese batch is really something special. with me being such a big fan of zimbabwe denim, I suggest we try something like that. or see if he can source something similar. weight wise, I don't wanna do something super heavy weight. it's impossible to wear during the summer, plus honestly, it's a gimmick. so let's say 13-15oz, 15oz max?

Thanks for sending him an email Poly! I was going to do so this evening but you beat me to it. I think having your support will really help us out.

I agree about not going super heavy weight. I'm wearing the 14.5oz right now and they're perfect to me. I live in NYC, so I definitely experience all 4 seasons, and these have served me well no matter the temperature. I tried on a pair of Iron Hearts the other day, and that heavy denim just seemed absurd. I don't want my balls to be sweating through my jeans all summer long.

I haven't experienced the Zimbabwe denim first hand, but everyone else seems to like it, so I'm definitely down.

EDIT: or have I? Where is the 14.5 oz denim from?

Yeah - I'd be very keen for an AW contest (am also wearing my 14.5's today!).

If possible it would be nice to see a new denim, agree that it wouldn't need to to be overly heavy but I would trust Andes judgment (and with the Jap denim he is currently using, I'm sure he can source / may already know of something that's perfect).

Some thoughts: Maybe a Christchurch Earthquake theme of some sort, (fault line wings?), we could donate some money or something...? and if it does take off, maybe apply the "You can't be in any other denim contest" rule?

Yeah - I'd be very keen for an AW contest (am also wearing my 14.5's today!).

If possible it would be nice to see a new denim, agree that it wouldn't need to to be overly heavy but I would trust Andes judgment (and with the Jap denim he is currently using, I'm sure he can source / may already know of something that's perfect).

Some thoughts: Maybe a Christchurch Earthquake theme of some sort, (fault line wings?), we could donate some money or something...? and if it does take off, maybe apply the "You can't be in any other denim contest" rule?

Definitely dig the charity denim idea. Then maybe my lady won't look at me like a crazy person for dropping $$$ on jeans

heavy denim is not absurd, I understand why poly is saying 14.5 oz but I'm just saying it would be cool to see what ande can do with some heavy denim

i'm not saying it's absurd. what i love about ande whall in general is that it's a simple super high quality product. I've strayed away for a long time of super heavy weight denim because I don't think it really adds anything to a pair of jeans other than a gigantic cost. it's almost a fad/gimmick. one of the things ande whalls really aren't about. and while yes, he did create an amazing pair of 18oz/19oz denim for his special customers, I don't see a reason to deviate so far from his already quality product. I'll wait for him to chime in, it would be nice to see ande whall's pop up all the time in the evo thread, as I feel like ive been in an ande whall contest by myself for the past 3 years. :o

Good point poly, the thing I like about heavy denim is that it appears to be a bit sturdier but, it the construction is high quality it shouldn't matter. I guess more what I'm looking for is a unique pair of andes so let's just wait and see what he says

How does a contest work? I assume the details on the contest jeans will be same as the deluxe? Or will Ande throw in something new and mind blowing?

As of right now this is purely hypothetical. We are hoping Ande will be down to create "something new and mind blowing" but he may have too much on his plate at the moment. Poly sent him an email, so hopefully we will know soon.

Worst case scenario, we could just do a contest with the current models, or with whatever new model is sure to come out at some point this year.

I'll answer your questions noodle.

1) How does a contest work?

A contest involves any number of people >1 being involved in wearing the same type of jean/denim. Typically the cut is the same for every person, though the waist size varies based on the contestants' waists.

2) I assume the details on the contest jeans will be the same as the deluxe?

Well, the contest pair would actually be different than the typical deluxe model (in theory). It would have details that you cannot get on any other pair, whether that be a special type of denim, a special leather patch, different cut, or a cinch back (like the roy contest jeans) maybe. really anything that gives it distinguishing characteristics, and draws in people who want to participate in this limited opportunity.

3) or will ande throw in something new and mindblowing?

an example of something ande could do (this was mentioned before) would be to use a special type of denim, or make a different back pocket design. note; these are just two random examples, as there are many more exciting details he could use that are way better than mine.

thanks for your inquiry.

(4)

sorry for the late response, ande emailed me the other day, just been busy.

He's down for offering a contest! but it will have to be in a few months due to the damage from his workshop. He's got special denim he has access to as well, all these details will work out in time, but until then count me in! I am in no rush to run out and buy another pair of jeans until this contest starts. as he stated about the denim it's "one off seasonal crazy experimental selvage"

sorry for the late response, ande emailed me the other day, just been busy.

He's down for offering a contest! but it will have to be in a few months due to the damage from his workshop. He's got special denim he has access to as well, all these details will work out in time, but until then count me in! I am in no rush to run out and buy another pair of jeans until this contest starts. as he stated about the denim it's "one off seasonal crazy experimental selvage"

*denimboner*

This is fantastic news! I figured it wouldn't be for a few months. I'm in no particular hurry either, but I will certainly be counting down the days.

In case a ton of people try to jump on this later on, should we try to maintain a list of those who are initially interested? It may not mean shit until we actually put some money down, but I just don't want people who are truly excited about this to get screwed out of a spot later on.

Also, thanks for answering Noodle's questions more thoroughly, aleopold

*denimboner*

This is fantastic news! I figured it wouldn't be for a few months. I'm in no particular hurry either, but I will certainly be counting down the days.

In case a ton of people try to jump on this later on, should we try to maintain a list of those who are initially interested? It may not mean shit until we actually put some money down, but I just don't want people who are truly excited about this to get screwed out of a spot later on.

Also, thanks for answering Noodle's questions more thoroughly, aleopold

If its available in the Miner cut then I'd be interested

Hell yeah I am in!

Sounds like we have support from three members for the Miner cut too... sbreslin and dawei94 you guys better not flake out on me! AW contest denim in a Miner cut is my holy grail - love that extra bit of room in the thighs and med/high rise.

The Miner won't work for everyone, so hopefully we can arrive at a compromise... perhaps contest denim and features in a few different cuts. Allowing different cuts will make for an unconventional contest, but hey Ande is not a conventional guy!

Hopefully I'm not getting ahead of myself but damn this could be awesome.

i'm not saying it's absurd. what i love about ande whall in general is that it's a simple super high quality product. I've strayed away for a long time of super heavy weight denim because I don't think it really adds anything to a pair of jeans other than a gigantic cost. it's almost a fad/gimmick. one of the things ande whalls really aren't about. and while yes, he did create an amazing pair of 18oz/19oz denim for his special customers, I don't see a reason to deviate so far from his already quality product.

Agreed. Interesting that someone recently popped up on the small questions thread, who'd been told that the best quality denim, is the heaviest denim. It's like saying that the best Marshall amps are the ones that go up to 11.

Well done on getting the contest going, poly, sounds terrific.

It's like saying that the best Marshall amps are the ones that go up to 11.

So what are you trying to say? The best ones don't go up to 11? I don't get it.

If we are giving preference to people who are initially interested, then count me in. Though I haven't posted in the thread, I've been following he development of the contest posts everyday.

What has two thumbs and would give his right testicle for a pair of Ande Whall contest jeans? This guy!