Ooe-Yofukuten & Co.

Just saw a notification from Standard & Strange, I’ve got 3 pairs of theirs already so I’m good but if anyone else interested now’s your chance:

New Ooe Yofukuten jeans go live at 9am Friday Morning!
Save this link, it's where the jeans will go live tomorrow.

Attention! The latest batch of Ooe Yofukuten's OA01 Fit has landed in store, and is releasing online tomorrow! Deliveries from Ooe are infrequent, as only two sets of hands touch each pair during production, marking a drop like this as a special occasion.

This email serves as your advanced warning: New jeans go live tomorrow morning (Friday, August 26th) at 9:00am Pacific time!

af020305-f27b-4789-9d6e-67249d647294.jpe
c91b56f8-09b1-46e6-9749-c5a1cbbbb4c7.png

9e7c47ef-6611-458c-9f52-5541a65d3fd1.jpe
fb4b218e-312b-480a-bd5d-084a6e544f55.jpe

These are made from Ooe's new XX4 denim. The product of years upon years of research, these are a 13.5oz, 100% cotton, 7x7 selvedge denim with a white ID, loomed in Japan exclusively for Ooe, and to their exact specifications. The warp threads are dyed with a green-cast indigo, specifically chosen to age like sample fabrics from the 1940s - with gray weft threads selected for the same purpose. Slightly hairy and surprisingly soft (even while raw) these are a comfortable mid-weight fabric that fades relatively quickly and can be worn almost year-round.

The OA01 is one of our favorite denim fits of all time. A mid-century fit, with a medium high rise, relaxed top block, full thighs, and comfortable straight legs (that taper almost imperceptibly to a roomy leg opening), it's handsome on virtually anyone. They're sewn up in a classic five pocket configuration, featuring hidden rivets at the rear pockets and exposed ones on the front - the lemon yellow thread is 100% cotton, since fabric this nice deserves equally impressive stitching

I was refreshing the page every second, item appeared at 9:03 AM and my size 38 was sold out. Not so sure it wasn't sold to anyone else who were... more equal than others...(((

I was curious to see how quickly the OA01xx 0522 would sell out. The jeans showed up online at 9:01am for me and all sizes were available. I checked out the size 38, but didn't buy since I have a pair in the xx2 denim. By 9:02am the 3 largest sizes were sold out. These puppies went fast!

For what it's worth, the pair I purchased years ago had been returned to S&S a couple weeks after an Ooe drop. Keep an eye on their site starting in a week or so to monitor for returned stock. Alternatively, someone inevitably fucks up sizing with these jeans, so check the SuFu and Reddit "for sale" threads and Grailed over the next few weeks.

7 hours ago, Talan said:

I was refreshing the page every second, item appeared at 9:03 AM and my size 38 was sold out. Not so sure it wasn't sold to anyone else who were... more equal than others...(((

Sorry man. It looks like me and another dude on IG were lucky enough to grab a pair of the 38s. Not sure how many pairs they had? If it means anything to you, I was refreshing the page every second as well and did Apple Pay to make it as fast as possible. I’m getting them hemmed to 34” raw so if the sizing doesn’t work out for me I can reach out to you if you’re interested? In the past I have lost out on so many Viberg releases it’s sad. Was just lucky today. I’m sure you’ll catch it next time.

4 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Sorry man. It looks like me and another dude on IG were lucky enough to grab a pair of the 38s. Not sure how many pairs they had? If it means anything to you, I was refreshing the page every second as well and did Apple Pay to make it as fast as possible. I’m getting them hemmed to 34” raw so if the sizing doesn’t work out for me I can reach out to you if you’re interested? In the past I have lost out on so many Viberg releases it’s sad. Was just lucky today. I’m sure you’ll catch it next time.

I did the same with refreshing the page constantly, it changed at 9:03 only and 38 was sold out already. They claim they had 6 pairs in 38 which were sold at first two minutes. Well, it looks their system works just fine.

10 hours ago, Talan said:

I did the same with refreshing the page constantly, it changed at 9:03 only and 38 was sold out already. They claim they had 6 pairs in 38 which were sold at first two minutes. Well, it looks their system works just fine.

Mari said the launch was insane and this is what I saw on the Standard & Strange IG yesterday. It speaks for itself. 
003C6A6B-8FB0-4D4D-B0F5-016121813B80.thumb.png.763ddae9c2ffe6c42f850c4b2ac4645d.png

3 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Mari said the launch was insane and this is what I saw on the Standard & Strange IG yesterday. It speaks for itself. 
003C6A6B-8FB0-4D4D-B0F5-016121813B80.thumb.png.763ddae9c2ffe6c42f850c4b2ac4645d.png

Since I was refreshing the page constantly, I'm sure the jeans didn't show up for me until 9:03, when the size 38 was already sold out. Why that happened is another question. Of course, it was a real bummer, since I had been waiting for months since last December, when it was first announced. Nevertheless, since it happened, it was for the best. Many good things come to us in the form of bummers.

My mrs had to ring the doctors last week, she was bitten by something in Sardinia.. you or I would shake this off but her immune system is boned, the phone lines open at 8am, call at 7.59 and there is no ringtone... so 10 seconds to go and she's pressing ring, ring, ring on her phone.. it goes through at 3 seconds past 8am and says 'you're number 34 in the queue' wtf!! how!? :D

I was wavering on trying for a pair, had been interested in them for like 2 years now, but had to be on the road while they went online, so that made the decision to skip for me. That and the perfectly good pairs I currently have. Seem like great jeans but that level of hype is just sort of off putting and tiring tbh. I really hated sneaker head culture and when denim goes that way it’s just…well, it’s pretty antithetical to the spirit of denim imo. But I hope everyone posts some good pics of these eventually. 

Edited by AlientoyWorkmachine

12 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

My mrs had to ring the doctors last week, she was bitten by something in Sardinia.. you or I would shake this off but her immune system is boned, the phone lines open at 8am, call at 7.59 and there is no ringtone... so 10 seconds to go and she's pressing ring, ring, ring on her phone.. it goes through at 3 seconds past 8am and says 'you're number 34 in the queue' wtf!! how!? :D

Yes, exactly. This system of selling at exact time is all fucked up. Last year S&S launched a prepayment ordering for OA duck pants, everybody interested was able to place an order without stress and agitation. Why not following the same again? 

But surely they’d have to set a pre-ordering deadline for their new jeans (for which they’d almost certainly be a much higher demand for the duck pants) and then everyone will logon to pre-order at the same time and then… :laugh2:

45 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

But surely they’d have to set a pre-ordering deadline for their new jeans (for which they’d almost certainly be a much higher demand for the duck pants) and then everyone will logon to pre-order at the same time and then… :laugh2:

Well, they had pre-ordering deadline for ducks for a month or so. They would have the same for denim for a week or day, but not for 2 minutes... 

Edited by Talan

They’re gonna sell out regardless, right? You could just upload the inventory - whatever they get - and put them on the site like any other brand - without an announcement - or an announcement after a week if they weren’t gone already (they would be, someone else would buy a pair then make the announcement). Esp if you’re really about your customers owning “fewer, better things.” It’s tough, I get that it’s a business. But word would get out soon enough, the many of us who still kinda actually sorta want more, better things would snap them up.

But anyways, it’s kind of a sidebar. Just the natural result of what happens when you’re really good at making something and people find out, but inherently limited in production capacity (part of why ppl want them!). The wonderful thing is there are still so many other good options. 

Love supporting S&S when I can, but reach out to other shops that sell Ooe if you missed out. bF mentioned earlier, but Barnstormer also recently received a shipment. Also keep an eye on Ooe's IG, or reach out in advance, and you'll be able to order from them directly. Admittedly you'll only have maybe one or two chances a year to buy a pair, but it's always worth it. There's definitely not mainstream hype for the brand, so it's certainly possible to buy a pair with some leg work.

Edited by aho

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2022 at 11:27 PM, Talan said:

Ordered from Barnstormer. No hassle, no worries, no rush. Shirai was very calm and friendly. And the price is much, much lower than S&S asks for.

That’s great to hear! I paid almost $400 for my pair at S&S. Just soaked them today since I was on vacation for a while. I’m so glad it worked out for you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My new purchase, OA01XX, size 36

Hemmed to 85cm  , I was told 8cm shrinkage to achieve 77cm (the desired length after wash). I achieved 78cm after hot soak and initial wash.  

Received below washing instructions from OA. Thanks for their support. 

**********************************************************************************
<How to 1st wash your jeans in OA method >
1. Close all the Button of the jeans 
2. Soak in 40°C (104°F) water for 1 hour 
  60°C is too hot. The leather patch may shrink too much, and the waist to shrink too much.
3. Machine wash in cold water, No laundry detergent and softener. 
4. Dry in the sun (don’t use dryer. Too much shrinkage. ) 

We think your jeans is going to shrink perfectly 2 sizes in this OA method!

<Recommendation for the second wash> 
Don't wash it too much for the first 30 times wearing. After then It is important that you get a moderate washing. 
If you keep wearing it for a long time without washing, it’s going to reduce the life of your jeans! Don’t be so nervous for washing!

**************************************************************************************************************************************************

As I couldn't achieve and maintain 40C during initial hot soak, so rather than "cold wash" as 2nd step, I choose "hot wash" 40C, without detergent and spin. 

After washing, put into sunlight for 4 hours and later wore today for 5 hours. 

IMG_2508.jpg

IMG_2476.jpg

Edited by dada mafiosi

After Wash

Waist     85 (-6)
FR         31 (-1)
Thigh     32 (-0.5)
Knee     24   (-2)
LO        22.5  (-1.5)
Inseam  78 (-7 not -8 as desired)

Picture of hot soak

another pic is for an unwanted crease which was developed during hot soak, in order to keep dipping into hot water I folded one inseam and put some weight for short time, (behind knee, calf area), the picture taken after use of 5 hours, the crease is still visible [so guys extra care when washing or soaking) 

aw waist.jpg

aw knee.jpg

aw LO 22.5.jpg

wash.jpg

aw unwanted creaes.jpg

After Use

Initial waist was tight and difficult to wear, but quickly it stretched back

Waist      90cm (stretched back not completely , maybe later on, non wash width was 91cm) 
Knee      24.5 (0.5 increased after initial soak / wash state, as knee also a pressure point)
Inseam   79 (though after wash it was 78, maybe stretched as legs are relatively wide, so pressure is put on inseam length) (so I should have either gone for 83m or 84cm in raw state to achieve 77cm) 

Jeans constructions is immaculate and impressive, greenish yellow thread, hardware proportions not too heavy neither feel weak, leather patch feels like silk, light denim weight to use all year round. Perfect example of couple dedication in their work and it is about how they taking care of limited raw denim community 

I compared OA01XX with my FC1108 (size 35), which I have been using for almost a year. 1 cm leg opening and 0.5cm knee is wider in OA, remaining points seem similar. 

In Non Wash state OA01XX was light greyish in color. After wash it appeared as Indigo towards greyish tone. 

During 1st wear, I noticed soft, as wider legs so it was extremely comfortable. Let's see how this new fabric evolves 

Lastly: sorry for posting low quality pictures , taken from iphone 

au waist.jpg

au knee.jpg

au inseam.jpg

IMG_2525.jpg

IMG_2523.jpg

Edited by dada mafiosi