Samurai Jeans

gimmegimme

Long time lurker, first time poster, I'm interested in purchasing a pair of the s710xx and after reviewing this thread was hoping for some suggestions o sizing.  I think I need either a 33 or a 34 as I have pairs of 3sixteens (SL-130 size 33, st-100 size 34, 30bsp size 33) and Flathead 1001's (size 34) that I love the fit on and all measure right around 17.5 in the waist and 12.5 in the thigh.  I was hoping someone with more experience with Samurai's could give me their sizing opinions.    

Also, I have read and reread the BIG descriptions for the regular and 15 year 710 models and have no idea what the difference is, any idea?  

Thanks in advance!

Right. Just about to enter the Realm of Raw with a pair of 710xx, possibly 15th anniversary edition size/availability allowing. I've read most of this thread and have taken a lot of helpful info re: size and fit to confirm my choice of the 710s. I do however have a size/fit question from an angle I haven't seen covered... Namely, I tried a pair on at S.O.A.S on a recent trip to London. The size I chose was pretty much bang on, perhaps a tiny, tiny bit tight. My question then is, if they are a perfect fit in the shop brand new, will they be the right size to buy bearing in mind soaking/shrinking and subsequent stretching?

Ps two things I really, really don't want are saggy arse or hip flare...

I don't have any experience with samurai, but really be careful with unsanforized denim in general. If it hardly shrinks at all, then you shouldn't worry, but I believe that the 710xx denim shrinks about as much as you would expect unsanforized denim to. In that case, especially if it's already a tad tight before a soak, you might want to get a size up. Definitely voice your concerns to the shop owner and I'm sure he'll help. Unsanforized denim is a big gamble and can be expensive if you mess up, but by having the opportunity to try stuff on you eliminate so much of the guesswork. Take advantage of that.

Right. Just about to enter the Realm of Raw with a pair of 710xx, possibly 15th anniversary edition size/availability allowing. I've read most of this thread and have taken a lot of helpful info re: size and fit to confirm my choice of the 710s. I do however have a size/fit question from an angle I haven't seen covered... Namely, I tried a pair on at S.O.A.S on a recent trip to London. The size I chose was pretty much bang on, perhaps a tiny, tiny bit tight. My question then is, if they are a perfect fit in the shop brand new, will they be the right size to buy bearing in mind soaking/shrinking and subsequent stretching?

Ps two things I really, really don't want are saggy arse or hip flare...

I have a pair of 710's, and I can tell you that my size 33's now measure about 35.5" in the waist, so no worries about the denim stretching in the waist. You won't get as much stretch in the thighs though, so just be careful there.

Because how long you've been wearing your jeans is directly related to how they fade and change over time.  Because if there's a hole in the crotch and you've been wearing them for four months rather than twelve it gives you a dramatically different picture about the quality of the denim.  Because it gives people interested in buying the same jeans a better idea of how they can expect the jeans to fade.  And so on.

Occasionally people with this attitude show up here - "It's just a stupid pair of jeans, who cares" - and while I understand why people who don't particularly care about jeans would think this way, won't people who spend hundreds of bucks on their pants be interested in nitty-gritty details?  The whole reason why people are buying stuff like Samurai in the first place is because they think all these little parts of the hobby are fun.  If you don't care about that sort of thing, then fine, but why bother with expensive hobbyist-oriented brands like Samurai in the first place?  At the very least you shouldn't act surprised when people ask if you did a hot soak or cold soak, or comment on the patina of copper rivets or whatever. 

Everything you said on the first parts was all I needed.

But I don't get the second part, "Occasionally people with this attitude shows up here"? That I don't get, Is this a forum where you can express your feelings or thoughts. If you don't like what I post, just say so, I'll be happy to remove it. How can I be one of those people if I spend hundreds to even thousands on pants?

And why spend time on a forum which specifically caters to people who DO care about these things? 

I spend time on this forum to get knowledge from other members here. I never said I never cared about the details of the jeans, the rivets, back pockets, and the type of denim used.

Artisandenim & PDXvegan: My experience with 710XX is that the waist will actually end up 1" bigger than the raw measurement. I am a true 34.5" waist and I comfortable wear a tagged 33 for 710XX. (It started at about 34", shrunk to 33" with the soak, and is back up to about 35" now...)It's all about how you want to wear it but if you can button them up presoak you should have no problem getting them on down the road. I do not tumble dry though, so if you plan to tumble YMMV.

The only difference between the 15th anniv is some gold thread instead of silver on the "side of the back pocket", a 15th anniversary tag stitched into the pocket bag, and there is an extra lined denim coin purse (separate item that comes with the Jeans) with a samurai badge inside it.  The material is the same 19oz on both versions. The anniversary pair is nice but if you can't get it just go with a regular production pair. They are basically the same pants.

^True that the leather patch was different on the first run ( I should have made that clear) but the ones in stock now at B.I.G and Pirates are a second run which just has a normal LOT16 leather patch.

However, when I went to double check before clicking "add reply" (so as not to make a fool of myself) I discovered that the second run of Anniversary 710XX does NOT include the denim coin purse w/ Samurai badge I have mentioned above so... guess i'm a fool in one way or another, no way around that  ;)

Thanks people, you've put my mind at rest and helped me regain focus. I think I always knew what was necessary but I had two voices arguing:

Gut: 'Those jeans are amazing. Get them now, what are you waiting for? So what if they are a bit tight - we can rock that, hell we can rock anything, get em get em, stop stalling'

Brain: 'Don't listen to that idiot - the one who always insists that we need extra, extra chili -  we all know how that works out. Yes they are amazing but do you really want to look like the ukulele/clavier/stylophone player in some random hipster band with yo' spray on jeans? Thought not - 1 up fool'.

etc etc

I'll throw up some pics as soon as - pre soak, post soak, fit etc.

I have a pair of 710's, and I can tell you that my size 33's now measure about 35.5" in the waist, so no worries about the denim stretching in the waist. You won't get as much stretch in the thighs though, so just be careful there.

Thanks for that - it was the thigh that was a bit tight and causing concern. I think i'll go one up. Also the buttons!! I thought I was never going to get out of the changing room...

Everything you said on the first parts was all I needed.

But I don't get the second part, "Occasionally people with this attitude shows up here"? That I don't get, Is this a forum where you can express your feelings or thoughts. If you don't like what I post, just say so, I'll be happy to remove it. How can I be one of those people if I spend hundreds to even thousands on pants?

I spend time on this forum to get knowledge from other members here. I never said I never cared about the details of the jeans, the rivets, back pockets, and the type of denim used.

No one is attacking you for voicing your opinion. Cold Summer explained the obvious reasons why someone would ask the question that you found irrelevant, and I was pointing out that this is a forum created specifically for the type of denim geek who would ask such a question, so you should fully expect to see that question asked often. And I'm certainly not questioning your denim-geek cred either. I know you post here plenty, I don't doubt that you're just nerdy as the rest of us. ;)

Hi guys. I'm hoping to order a pair of 25oz s5000vx today, and though I've ready fit guides (much love b_F), I'm still not certain whether to get 34 or 35 or even 36. I've read elsewhere that the 25oz don't shrink as much and don't stretch as much either.I currently have a pair of Edwin Nashvilles that I like the fit of quite well. I've been wearing them about 10 months now, 80% of days for at least a few hours, washed once about a month ago. They're size 34, 36" at the waist now and 13" at the thigh. My true waist is 36", but that's with winter fat. Much like jeans, I stretch and shrink throughout the year.

So, I'm leaning towards getting 35, what do you all think? I'm surprised at how excited I am to get going with these! If you'd have told me just a couple of years ago that I'd be buying jeans like this... ha!

From the shrunk sizes from your guide and 2nd's store, it seems like the thighs will be around what I have now. With the Edwins, if I pinch the thigh I've got about 4cm of room. It's the perfect balance of fit and comfort for me in that regard.

I was planning on asking them to check if the thigh ("wading" as they call it) is towards the wider end of the range, if possible. The Google translation back to english still makes sense, so they should be able to tell what I mean. Otherwise, I'll stick a ball in there to stretch it when drying after the soak or something.

2ND will not measure the jeans for you.

Better buy from Yuichi. He will measure the jeans for you and he gives a discount on shipoing

http://www.kaizoku-pirates.com/goods/1362208902252/

edit: if you got 4 cm room there shouldn't be any problem

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

Recently, I got 2 more Samurai shirts.

6e8814ea0fad57986972d54f3dd5bd0e_zps1ad1

8df13884f54d8c62b37e861ad7cb6945_zpsda73

Obviously, it is from their fishing club sub-label a year ago...

aee23fb144197bd2494e64d59e914126_zpsc519

Selvage for the cuffs:

35f1fb1393cc2b005f4c7a6982f46e1f_zps246b

aa62837226b7a319af959b8fda3cbeaf_zps754e

Selvage for cuff opening:

7a4adea76ea368970430c080aed523ac_zpsc355

back from the dead

dunno how many washes. 5 or so years of wear

Samurai 0500 worn to demo my kitchen and living room

7I3A1066_zps1018d095.jpg7I3A1080_zpsbbbe9553.jpg

7I3A1071_zpsbb40bb7c.jpg7I3A1083_zps6cbd2606.jpg

close up of the damage and DIY repairs