Samurai Jeans

gimmegimme

a customer brought a pair of 500XX into BlackBlue for a hem. they made me nostalgic for my 610LX from 6 years ago. i can't believe i ever could stand something so low. that denim doe...

09E82A8B-737E-41B7-B33C-5646DD904A36-890

Those are ridiculous. Can't wait to get the 0500xx back from you!

I'm looking to get back into the denim game after a few years.  I'd like to pick up a pair of s0500xx and I'm wondering how to size them.  

I have a pair of s5000vx from a while ago in a size 35 that don't fit -- they are good in the thighs but too big in the waist/leg opening.  I think the s0500 cut is better for my body type.  

Should I go with a 34 or 35 in the s0500xx?  I plan to wash them frequently, if that matters.

I'm looking to get back into the denim game after a few years.  I'd like to pick up a pair of s0500xx and I'm wondering how to size them.  

I have a pair of s5000vx from a while ago in a size 35 that don't fit -- they are good in the thighs but too big in the waist/leg opening.  I think the s0500 cut is better for my body type.  

Should I go with a 34 or 35 in the s0500xx?  I plan to wash them frequently, if that matters.

I just got my s0500x back from satchelbmoore hemming them. Here's the pre soak/post soak measurements for my pair. I've only done a single hot soak for about 45mins. I plan on doing another hot soak in a week or two since I'm sure there's a little shrinkage left.

These are tag size 36. Measurements are BiG style.

Presoak/Postsoak

Waist: 37.5 / 35.5

Front rise: 12 / 11.25

Back rise: 16.25 / 15.25

Thigh: 13.75 / 13.25

Knee: 10 / 9.75

Opening: 9.5 / 9.125

Inseam: 38 / 35.5 (before hemming)

Hope this helps!

Is it advised to go a little tighter or a little looser on the 710s when the special heavy weight comes out this Spring? I checked the general measurements and could fit both in a 34 and 35 waist.  Thanks.

Since the heavy version isn't out yet (it's sure that they will be released?) and you don't know if they run big or small (the final cut can always differ when different denim is used), it's useless to speculate about it now. Better wait until BiG actually has them in stock and posts measurements

Maybe yes. But I still think that there's an ideal weight for jeans that is around 14-18 oz. Anything above does not add much to the value, neither in terms of durabilty, fading and it's definitely less comfortable to wear. I know you're right that these would sell fast, but if they did 17, 21 and 25 oz, I'd go with 17.

I have 14oz (PBJ), 17oz (Samurai Black Shadows), 19oz (Samurai s710), 21oz (IH BB01's), and 23oz (IH SEXIHXLSXA13's). I like them all, but given the choice, I usually prefer the heavier denims unless it's over 90 degrees, and definitely when it's under 40 degrees. I just like the overall "burliness" of the look and feel of heavy denim. I don't think I'd buy anything below 17oz at this point. Different strokes I guess. The reason why I'd prefer the 25oz in this particular case is that I've heard the 25oz Samurai denim is a bit slubbier than their 21oz denim. This may not be accurate information though.

@B-Sandy: that's nice and strong Roping. Especially for Samurai jeans

@everyinchofgod: after trying out 17oz, 19oz and 21oz I also thought I could never go back. Now also owning 24oz & 25oz I see myself favor the more "authentic" denim again (13-15oz). But that said, I would still choose a 14oz over a 13oz denim ;)

I wish they'd do them in 15oz... Perfect weight in my opinion. Anything heavier I don't think I'll bother... Too uncomfortable.

Has anyone had any recent updates in relation to this 710 collab?? Seems like rumours have been ongoing for 18months with no 'real' details known...

I wrote it often before. I had numerous email contacts with Gordon, where he mentioned 15 oz, 17 oz and something heavier, like 21 or 24 oz. So far his plans, we'll know what Samurai commits to do when he announces the models. I think Samurai are not that easy concerning collabs and until you see the details it's pointless to speculate.

Edited by Max Power

This winter I've found that my 19oz 710s are good to about -10c with the wind chill. Anything colder and it's 25oz IH all the way. Even down to -30c I haven't added long johns.

Interested to see what the 19oz is like in the Spring. I know that I can't take 25oz above the mid teens.

This winter I've found that my 19oz 710s are good to about -10c with the wind chill. Anything colder and it's 25oz IH all the way. Even down to -30c I haven't added long johns.

Interested to see what the 19oz is like in the Spring. I know that I can't take 25oz above the mid teens.

The mid teens?! :D Surely you can make it to the 40's at least.

I've had no issues with my 710's in the summer. I've even worn my 23oz IH's (that don't breathe AT ALL) during the summer. I don't spend long stretches outdoors most of the time though, I'm usually in and out all day long. But the 710's breathe pretty well so you should be okay.

Hey,

not sure about Toronto but I've never been cold with my 15 oz jeans (sda, momos) until -15/-20 here in Montreal. From -15 to -28 (actual degrees) I wear some 710s and my legs are warm enough to walk outside for an hour or two. They're breathable enough to feel comfortable at the office too, a great pair overall.

When my gf tells me she's frozen with her 8-11 oz raws (N&F and Baldwin) I feel pretty lucky we've got so may options as guys ;)

But don't girls always feel cold? <_< I could wear my 19 oz 500 most of the time in the last (cold) summer, but the loose cut made me do it. The 710 were pretty gnarly. Anything above 25°C and I wear shorts, no matter what. For sure I won't be wearing heavy weight denim then. (Has anybody seen the Lemmy Movie, where Ian Scott asked him about his hot pants? Hilarious scene).

Edited by Max Power

But don't girls always feel cold? <_< I could wear my 19 oz 500 most of the time in the last (cold) summer, but the loose cut made me do it. The 710 were pretty gnarly. Anything above 25°C and I wear shorts, no matter what. For sure I won't be wearing heavy weight denim then. (Has anybody seen the Lemmy Movie, where Ian Scott asked him about his hot pants? Hilarious scene).

Hehe, right. But I'm told the same by all my male friends here wearing shitty thin jeans (probably 8-10 oz). So I guess it's quite cold. Below -20 you really need something thicker than 14-15 oz if you want to feel comfortable.

I was quite 'happy' to notice that cold reveals how good your clothes are, like jeans and hoodies. In fact, most of them (people) just try to cope with cold by buying expensive Canada Goose or Nobis coats when they could have bought good quality, durable clothes in the first place...consumption education, a long way to go.