SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

The issue of sizing, quite understandably, dominates many of the forum threads. But I would like to ask a general question, and my apologies if I have failed to discover the answer in a previous thread — if so please direct me! It concerns the relationship between raw and one-washed denim. If a jeans model is offered by a brand in the same denim, and production lot, in raw and one-washed versions, is there an expectation that the raw will become, or at least approximate, the one-washed in terms of fit? Or is there a gulf between the two that reflects the real differences in the way raw denim is handled by the enthusiast and processed by the factory?

This question has arisen not only out of my own experience but was posed recently in the PJB thread: see discussion between shining and kenzie.

Thanks!

Edited by The Flâneur

The washing machine gave my jeans some unwanted vertical fades. How do I prevent this? Use a net?

6966320695_7b72a3ee72_z.jpg

i got the same problem as him after i done my initial soak, only that it is only a few creases and not fades. what should i do to prevent it from turning into fades? can i iron them out or just let them disappear slowly?

Any suggestions for a jean that's a straight up and down cut, mid-rised, not too roomy top block or hip flare and without a taper? I've got the Real Japan Blues 105BSP, something similar would be nice. What would you recommend?

I know I've seen one before but my memory isn't working, so I thought I'd mine sufu's vast knowledge.

I missed my chance to pick up the latest release of the Rogue Territory double indigo work shirt, and the mister freedom midnight cpo is out of my price range, so I'm wondering if anyone can direct me to a similar deep/double indigo workshirt.

What's a solid pair of non-pretentious, everyday jeans that doesn't slip into the denimbro category?

I'd prefer that they be made in North America.

LVC '47 501 raw?

3sixteen sl-100x?

Tellason John Graham?

etc.

Edited by Shoreman

Posted · Hidden by Maynard Friedman, March 13, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by Maynard Friedman, March 13, 2012 - No reason given

Does the stated weight of most shrink-to-fit jeans on websites such as BiG or SE relate to their pre- or post-shrink weight? Eg are Flat Head 3xxx jeans 14.5 oz raw or post-wash?

---x-post from SExI14 thread----

hello, i just received my sexi14s in the mail today and i have some kind of a problem.

so i tried them and, as with normal brand new denim, i can't button up the last button, but i find the leg to be really bigger than i thought.

so either i hot soak them, which should make the leg a bit narrower, or i return them for a pair of 27s(i have the 28) but i fear that the 27 will be too small of the waist, since i cant fully button up the 28.

also, will the denim stretch back to its original length over time after the soak ?

thanks

I've been wearing a pair of skulls for over a year now and they're developing nice fades. however i'd like to taper the leg from the knee down, so i've two questions:

1. would the honeycombs look weird? Maybe i should have it tapered about 2-3 inches below the knee to avoid this?

2. is it possible to keep the chainstitch or would i have to have the jeans tapered by tailor with a union machine, so he can do the chainstitch again?

thanks

can someone tell me how much these levis are worth? probably not much because i think they are a replica version of lvc 1947 501s. but they're too small for me so i most likely need to trade or sell which is why it would be helpful to know their value. thanks

35mjk2p.jpg

5n38n.jpg

2vkbytw.jpg

Hi all,

I'm looking to get something new to add to my rotation, and I'm curious to hear some suggestions/feedback. What I currently wear most frequently are a pair of APC PS (tagged 29) with the following measurements (BiG method, of course):

Waist: 32.5, Frise: 10, Brise: 14, Thigh: 10.75, Knee: 7.75, Leg: 6,75

I'm looking to get something <$300 that will really require a heck of a lot of work. I'm really hoping to get something that will evolve quite slowly, and I'm not deterred by not seeing results even after several months of hard wear. So the first quality I want this new pair to have is resilience, I guess.

In terms of fit, I'm looking to go more a slim/slim-straight route as opposed to the painted on/skinny fit I've got going on right now. So I'm looking at getting something that might look like 12 thigh, 8.5-9 knee and 8.5 leg?

An obvious choice would be something like a pbj xx-005 or 007, but I'm curious to know what other people might have in mind, or what sort of sizing advice one could give for the pbjs.

Thanks in advance!

Just picked up my first pair of raw denim-- a pair of slim fit from Uniqlo. They are pretty skin tight in the thigh area but are perfect in the waist. Will they eventually stretch out in the thighs? Thanks.

They'll stretch in the thighs, but not much very much. Perhaps .3 inches accross (which is actually .6 inches, thighs aren't measured all the way around typically.) They'll also shrink right back down as soon as you wash them - I'm afraid thigh measurements are fairly permananent

Hi all,

I'm looking to get something new to add to my rotation, and I'm curious to hear some suggestions/feedback. What I currently wear most frequently are a pair of APC PS (tagged 29) with the following measurements (BiG method, of course):

Waist: 32.5, Frise: 10, Brise: 14, Thigh: 10.75, Knee: 7.75, Leg: 6,75

I'm looking to get something <$300 that will really require a heck of a lot of work. I'm really hoping to get something that will evolve quite slowly, and I'm not deterred by not seeing results even after several months of hard wear. So the first quality I want this new pair to have is resilience, I guess.

In terms of fit, I'm looking to go more a slim/slim-straight route as opposed to the painted on/skinny fit I've got going on right now. So I'm looking at getting something that might look like 12 thigh, 8.5-9 knee and 8.5 leg?

An obvious choice would be something like a pbj xx-005 or 007, but I'm curious to know what other people might have in mind, or what sort of sizing advice one could give for the pbjs.

Thanks in advance!

I think you'll definetely be looking at one of those pbj's for what you described. I'd reccommend you just give a call to BIG if you have sizing questions, you shouldn't have any problem considering you already measured yourself.

@bradapalooza

Thanks for the response! I just feel like I've been eyeing pbjs for forever now, and I want to be sure that I'm not just being blinded by some silly personal conviction. So pbjs tend to be hard to break in/have a lengthy break in process. Any word on Eternals, Momotaros or 3sixteens?

@bradapalooza

Thanks for the response! I just feel like I've been eyeing pbjs for forever now, and I want to be sure that I'm not just being blinded by some silly personal conviction. So pbjs tend to be hard to break in/have a lengthy break in process. Any word on Eternals, Momotaros or 3sixteens?

Well, the pbj's are dyed on both warp and weft - so the break in has a nice blue overcast to it - as far as I know Eternals have a fairly normal break-in time - Momotaros can take quite a while and 3sixteens have a pretty normal break in time. The 3sixteens are a great deal for the price - but I'm not sure I'd personally consider them a much higher quality piece then the APC's. I think you'd be very happy with the pbj's on the other hand because it is a very unique jean with all the qualities you asked for.

Well, the pbj's are dyed on both warp and weft - so the break in has a nice blue overcast to it - as far as I know Eternals have a fairly normal break-in time - Momotaros can take quite a while and 3sixteens have a pretty normal break in time. The 3sixteens are a great deal for the price - but I'm not sure I'd personally consider them a much higher quality piece then the APC's. I think you'd be very happy with the pbj's on the other hand because it is a very unique jean with all the qualities you asked for.

Awesome, well I was heavily leaning towards the pbjs anyway, but I did just want to cover my bases. Now Friday (and my paycheck) cannot come soon enough! Thanks again for the help

Anyone have an suggestions for getting rid of the smell of black sulfur dyed denim? I've tried soaking, vinegar, febreze, heating them in the oven, everything I've found online, but they still smell horrible. I almost can't stand to wear them. Any suggestions for additional methods would be appreciated.

^omg you're such a noob. Ur like not supposed 2 wash them before 6 months! The Nudie 'How to properly fade you jeans' guide says so.

Clearly soaking them in vinegar and cooking them is less damaging than a cold cycle with a detergent. Such a noob omg.

I find this topic got low response from the senior denimheads while those who are still new is flooding this topic.yet only a selected few is answered..

Because most of these questions have been previously answered or are mindblowingly stupid.

Edited by Lozinski

Anyone have an suggestions for getting rid of the smell of black sulfur dyed denim? I've tried soaking, vinegar, febreze, heating them in the oven, everything I've found online, but they still smell horrible. I almost can't stand to wear them. Any suggestions for additional methods would be appreciated.

Just curious, what pair are you specifically referring to? (I ask because I've been eyeing the Momotaro Deep/Grand Inidigos which have a sulfur dyed weft)

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic