SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

It is very adviseable to soak raw denim before wearing.

Soaking can be doneat any time - but soaking before you actually start wearing them is a must.

All your creases and whiskers and combs would be out of place if you soaked later...

It's not like tighter denims form nicer honeycombs - it simply seems to be easier , and the combs are a tighter net.

If your jeans are loose - the combs would be further apart.

Not necessarely meaning one or the other is nicer

It is very adviseable to soak raw denim before wearing.

Soaking can be doneat any time - but soaking before you actually start wearing them is a must.

All your creases and whiskers and combs would be out of place if you soaked later...

It's not like tighter denims form nicer honeycombs - it simply seems to be easier , and the combs are a tighter net.

If your jeans are loose - the combs would be further apart.

Not necessarely meaning one or the other is nicer

How if i dont intend to soak it later on but normal wash them only?

It's waist size is a size smaller than my therefore it's tight. What do you suggest? Soaking it? Afraid it gets too tight.

Thanks.

i have a few quick q's regarding skull 5010xx's:

1. which will offer the best fades? 6x6 one wash, 6x6 raw unwashed, or 6x7?

2. anyone know if it is still possible to find the 6x6 models withOUT the long inseam?

i read the entire skull thread and ideally i would like a 6x6 no wash in size 27 with the shorter inseam, but i fear i may not be able to find one. in which case i may just settle for the 6x7 in 27 to get the shorter length and suffer for a bit until they stretch out...

The fading would probably depend more on you than which skulls you get. Personally, I don't think it makes any difference at all if they're one wash or raw.

Is hemming that horrible? If you get them from BiG, they'll chainstitch them for you.

How if i dont intend to soak it later on but normal wash them only?

It's waist size is a size smaller than my therefore it's tight. What do you suggest? Soaking it? Afraid it gets too tight.

Thanks.

I don't really understand this question?:confused:

Are you saying that you don't intend to soak them later, but you're going to wash them? Soaking/washing give you similar results....when the jeans hit water, they're going to shrink...you'll want to do that as soon as you get them.

Yeah - that's a strange question..

Answer - washing is like soaking - but washing involves - normally - soap and a machine.

But some people do handwash, but that's besides the point.

Important - soak and wash include water - and will therefore shrink the denim.

If your jeans are already tight to begin with - when raw - you might want to soak them whilst wearing them ....

8 hours ?

I would say 4 hours and lukewarm...

Never been a fan of cold soak...

Haha 8 hours cold because thats when i sleep.

So i guess i would do it in the day. Is it lukewarm through out the 4 hours? Or at the start?

I guess i'm guilty in this but mine is preshrunk 501 jeans. Do they hardly shrink even after hours of soaking in lukewarm water?

Besides the description note stapled at the pockets of new 501, how can i indentify whether they are shrink to fit or not?

Hi,

I'm having a heck of a time trying to find shirts in a medium tall size. I should be more specific, I'm having a problem finding GOOD shirts in a medium tall size. I'm not a big fan of the old-man-looking eddie bauer stuff.

Does anyone know where I can find shirts in this size (especially t-shirts, as I've yet to find a medium tall t-shirt). What about polos? I went to ralph lauren's website, but the smallest their polos go is large tall, which is a bit too big for me.

Thanks!

Can anyone recommend me the closest dry or dry/selvage jean to the Levi's 511 cut? I'm looking into the APC New Cures, or the new Good Society Slim cuts, but what else should I be considering? The KMW Rockers also look pretty similiar, but they're a bit expensive.

Nudie grim tim or nudie thin finn. They both have the same taper at the legs but the thin finn has a lower yoke (back pockets)

The fading would probably depend more on you than which skulls you get. Personally, I don't think it makes any difference at all if they're one wash or raw.

Is hemming that horrible? If you get them from BiG, they'll chainstitch them for you.

i am not against hemming, i just don't want to have them hemmed and then realize i got the wrong size and not be able to exchange them. and it would be a pain and expense to ship them back just to get them hemmed and sent back again. especially considering that the 7x6 come in the right length for me in the first place.

now i just need to decide on a size and get them ordered. there is way too much contradiction on sizing and stretching in the skull thread.

26 in dior mij (tight at first, stretch to fit), 26 or 27 in nudie depending on the cut, 26 in somet 008 slim (was tight but stretched to perfect after 2 wears, possibly would end up too loose after a few weeks). thinking 27 in skull, though the leg measurements sound perfect the waist seems like it will be hella tight...

There can be acouple of reasons:

a)As mentioned in replies above, the fabric may not have been singed ie the flames which eat away the stickout fibres may not have been used or insufficiently used. However, in such a case, the fibres will appear even when you buy the jeans.

b)The cotton fibre used is of lower length - shorties as they are called. The fibre length of cotton determines to a large extent the quality of a cotton fabric. Finer the fabric , the longer the length of cotton required. Eg for very high quality garments, Egyptian cotton - which is very high staple cotton - is used. For denim, an average staple cotton is used. In case the cotton used is of much lower length, then during washing, the yarn will abrade and fibres will come out.

c)A relatively less important reason is that sometimes chemicals are used during dyeing or washing which weaken the yarn and make the fibres loose and enable them to come out.

Even if the cotton is of a little inferior quality, it can be made up with Mercerising the fabric. This evens out the yarn and makes it more durable. Most of the fabrics you see nowadays in Premium denim have been Mercerised which gives them a more cleaner look

There can be acouple of reasons:

a)As mentioned in replies above, the fabric may not have been singed ie the flames which eat away the stickout fibres may not have been used or insufficiently used. However, in such a case, the fibres will appear even when you buy the jeans.

b)The cotton fibre used is of lower length - shorties as they are called. The fibre length of cotton determines to a large extent the quality of a cotton fabric. Finer the fabric , the longer the length of cotton required. Eg for very high quality garments, Egyptian cotton - which is very high staple cotton - is used. For denim, an average staple cotton is used. In case the cotton used is of much lower length, then during washing, the yarn will abrade and fibres will come out.

c)A relatively less important reason is that sometimes chemicals are used during dyeing or washing which weaken the yarn and make the fibres loose and enable them to come out.

Even if the cotton is of a little inferior quality, it can be made up with Mercerising the fabric. This evens out the yarn and makes it more durable. Most of the fabrics you see nowadays in Premium denim have been Mercerised which gives them a more cleaner look

soaking removes starch/sizing, too.

good for the health of your jeans, especially if you are gonna wear 'em six months straight w/o washing.

chicken calls this noriotoshi

I have a small/dumb? question concerning hairiness of denim, I searched but nothing came up really and I think it's interesting for all of us:

I've noticed that hairiness is also an issue for some people around here

and it's seen as something positive/an extra sign of quality.

20061129_01.jpg

(picture stolen from Moz)

But if I remember correctly, I was once told that when a fabric is hairy like that, it is a sign of low(er) quality, because it shows that the yarn used consists of shorter

(= cheaper) threads, since they are shorter the ends pop out. If the threads would be longer, there would be less ends popping out and the fabric would turn out less hairy.

Anyone out there who could tell me more about this?

It's a bit technical and I hope I managed to make it clear enough.

Anyway, there haven't been enough tecnhical threads on here recently imho.

Oh and if by any chance I could have found this using the search button, please slap me!

i am not against hemming, i just don't want to have them hemmed and then realize i got the wrong size and not be able to exchange them. and it would be a pain and expense to ship them back just to get them hemmed and sent back again. especially considering that the 7x6 come in the right length for me in the first place.

now i just need to decide on a size and get them ordered. there is way too much contradiction on sizing and stretching in the skull thread.

26 in dior mij (tight at first, stretch to fit), 26 or 27 in nudie depending on the cut, 26 in somet 008 slim (was tight but stretched to perfect after 2 wears, possibly would end up too loose after a few weeks). thinking 27 in skull, though the leg measurements sound perfect the waist seems like it will be hella tight...

I'm sure if you give Gordon your measurements, he can tell you what size to get and whether you should hem or not.

Hi,

I'm having a heck of a time trying to find shirts in a medium tall size. I should be more specific, I'm having a problem finding GOOD shirts in a medium tall size. I'm not a big fan of the old-man-looking eddie bauer stuff.

Does anyone know where I can find shirts in this size (especially t-shirts, as I've yet to find a medium tall t-shirt). What about polos? I went to ralph lauren's website, but the smallest their polos go is large tall, which is a bit too big for me.

Thanks!

You're in the denim forum. :confused:

I currently own a pair of SExIH indigos and I have been wearing them about 4 1/2 months since release (I believe they released in april? I am not sure). I have never soaked them and I kind of have mixed feelings about wanting to soak them. They are starting to develop fades on the rear and some towards the front aswell. I just wanted to know what everyone on here suggested.

One reason I fear shrinking them is because they will slim back and I may not be able to fit them. Any advice is good advice. Thank you.

I currently own a pair of SExIH indigos and I have been wearing them about 4 1/2 months since release (I believe they released in april? I am not sure). I have never soaked them and I kind of have mixed feelings about wanting to soak them. They are starting to develop fades on the rear and some towards the front aswell. I just wanted to know what everyone on here suggested.

One reason I fear shrinking them is because they will slim back and I may not be able to fit them. Any advice is good advice. Thank you.

Why is it you want to soak them now? IH's shrinkage is very minimal, and they'd stretch back out very quickly if you did soak them. Talk to Kiya if you're concerned though.

So, looking through my closet, I notice that the crotch on my 007s (75-80 days wear) is wearing thin, soon to have a hole, the crotch on my katos will join the PBJs in another month to two months of wear, and I can only imagine my 008s will need a repair in not so long. So, the question is, can I find some cheap source of durable denim to make a bunch of repairs?

Also, reinforce now, or wait for a tear?

So, looking through my closet, I notice that the crotch on my 007s (75-80 days wear) is wearing thin, soon to have a hole, the crotch on my katos will join the PBJs in another month to two months of wear, and I can only imagine my 008s will need a repair in not so long. So, the question is, can I find some cheap source of durable denim to make a bunch of repairs?

Also, reinforce now, or wait for a tear?

I'll let someone else comment on when to reinforce...but I thought maybe you could ask Gordon if he could spare some of the extra denim cut off when people have their jeans chainstitched?

Don't know if this is the right thread to post in, but:

I'm looking for a pair of jeans to break into, preferably:

- a little low-waist, but not too much

- slightly tapered leg

- straight or a bit slim cut

- price tag: up to 200 ish 300 i guess, must be worth the price

- no brand preference, although I usually hear about Nudies, LVCs, Sugarcane, etc.

- can match well with both converse or sneakers (dunks, air force 1's)

- pockets that i can easily put stuff into (I own a pair of New Standards but it is a pain trying to reach into the pocket, plus they are too tight for my taste)

- have decent fading results

If anyone can help, please give several suggestions that would match the above criteria :P

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic