SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

2 questions,

1 - When hot soaking denim will changing the water every hour to keep it hotter increase the shrinking?

2 - Whats better for maximum shrinkage after a soak? air dry or tumble dry?

many thanks in advance

If you want them to shrink a lot, skip the soaking & throw them in the washer on hot. If they're still not shrunk enough, throw them in the dryer on hot.

If you want them to shrink a lot, skip the soaking & throw them in the washer on hot. If they're still not shrunk enough, throw them in the dryer on hot.

But there unworn raw selvedge, wont putting them in the washer make them harder to fade?

no .

ahh right, thanks for your help gimegimme, some people on heres knowledge baffles me.

I always thought that the indigo would run if i washed them making them harder to break in?

Do i need to wash them with any detergent or any thing like that?

ahh right, thanks for your help gimegimme, some people on heres knowledge baffles me.

I always thought that the indigo would run if i washed them making them harder to break in?

Do i need to wash them with any detergent or any thing like that?

nope...just hot water...no spin cycle. depending on the jeans we're talking about, the shrinkage might be minimal if they're sanforized.

no .
nope...just hot water...no spin cycle. depending on the jeans we're talking about, the shrinkage might be minimal if they're sanforized.

Ahh right great, well there soaking as we speak.

I dont know weather to air dry them or tumble them, what would get me the most shrinkage?

I have a pair of shrunken Levi 501xx STF that I've had for two weeks now. The fade on them is becoming slightly apparent (noticably after I took a 30 minute soak with them the day I brought them home) and the whiskers and honeycombs are starting to make permanent creases. I currently starch them with a good, thick spraydown of liquid starch in the areas reccomended to me once a week on Sunday nights.

Now, could I starch more frequently and/or perform multiple starchings in the same session so as to see faster, maybe better, results?

I have a pair of shrunken Levi 501xx STF that I've had for two weeks now. The fade on them is becoming slightly apparent (noticably after I took a 30 minute soak with them the day I brought them home) and the whiskers and honeycombs are starting to make permanent creases. I currently starch them with a good, thick spraydown of liquid starch in the areas reccomended to me once a week on Sunday nights.

Now, could I starch more frequently and/or perform multiple starchings in the same session so as to see faster, maybe better, results?

Just keep starching like you do now. Not really anything is gained with a lot of starch expect they will smell worse. Give it about another 3 weeks and your creases willl be permanetly set and you wont really need starch.

Nice!

Thanks for the help, mate! I'll definitely take the smell factor to mind.

Does fading just occur naturally in 501xx and other denims? I'm guessing it differs whether it's a dry dye, overdyed, dark, etc., and whether the material's raw, selvedge, or the common stuff, eh? More so, I'll venture a guess that it depends on the type of denim used. Right again?

Nice!

Thanks for the help, mate! I'll definitely take the smell factor to mind.

Does fading just occur naturally in 501xx and other denims? I'm guessing it differs whether it's a dry dye, overdyed, dark, etc., and whether the material's raw, selvedge, or the common stuff, eh? More so, I'll venture a guess that it depends on the type of denim used. Right again?

All denim fades. The degree to which is fades is based on the type of denim used, process of dying and type of dye used, among many other factors.

Using starch is favoured by some, but many of us don't bother...its a lot of hassle for the results you get.

I think the 40100's are a mix of synthetic & natural indigo, and the 40400's are all natural masa indigo....something like that.

ok thanks so the 40400's and and the 40401's are made of the same?

here are the patches for reference if it helps any

sc40100h-pa.jpg

sc40401-128ra.jpg

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic