SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

Hey guys, I have a quick question regarding Nudies.

Do SJ, Svens, & Bootcut OLA all stretch a lot/the same amount? If any of you have time, could you go briefly in-depth & explain how each stretches? (I don't plan to ever wash these, by the way).

I'm going to unsticky this -- it seems to have become a superdenim institution, so I doubt it will ever drop off the front page.

shouldnt it be the other way around and keep it stickied? this is probably on the best threads on the denim forums.

I'm looking for a looser dry selvage like the nudie baggy bjorn or regular ralf but with a smaller rise. I think the baggy bjorn have much too high of a rise. any suggestions

rescues... no idea how high the rise is on the baggy bjorns but 66s, kings are cut pretty high on the waist.

i'm a skinny guy, 5'6 and 115~lbs . my size 28 nudie slim jims fit ok but the thighs are too baggy/loose on me. the creases on the back of the thigh help make look slim when i'm standing still but it looks ridiculous and empty when i'm walking. is there anything i can do to make the thighs tighter? i was thinking about taking them to a tailor to have the thighs taken in/tapered but i don't know if that's a risky procedure and i'm not familiar with the quality of the tailors in my area. i'll try to take some pictures later if possible

sorry for the shitty camera phone pics

0114071400.jpg

0114071401.jpg

0114071401a.jpg

Guest jeffvyain
i'm a skinny guy, 5'6 and 115~lbs and i have really thin legs and no ass. my size 28 nudie slim jims fit ok but the thighs are too baggy/loose on me. the creases on the back of the thigh help make look slim when i'm standing still but it looks ridiculous and empty when i'm walking. is there anything i can do to make the thighs tighter? i was thinking about taking them to a tailor to have the thighs taken in/tapered but i don't know if that's a risky procedure and i'm not familiar with the quality of the tailors in my area. i'll try to take some pictures later if possible

I wouldn't risk it. once you go above the knee, you're playing with fire. get some new jeans if you don't like the fit. in my opinion, they look fine, but i can understand if you want something tighter...next time size down and stretch out the waist, and i would probably go for the pbj 05s or maybe some skull 5010s with thighs that skinny. in the end, it's worth the extra cash, and then you'll have a looser pair of nudies as well (if you decide not to sell em)

Richter, get some apc new cures. Should give you a similar look to the slim jims but slimmer.

It depends on how you want them to fit, but i, personally, would go with a 31 in the s5000vx and a 32 in the s0500xx. i have a measured 32 in waist. i have size 30s in the s5000vx and i tried sizing down to a 29 with the s0500xx when i ordered them for the contest, but they were too small, even raw. both fits are slim, with the 500xx being the slimmer of the two. the 500xx also hs a slight taper. you can find pics all over the place of the 500xx in the denim contest thread, and here's a pic of the 5000s on me, unhemmed, on a 6'1, 165 lb body.

DSCF2697.jpg

hey thanks, if i followed ur advice, how would my samurais fit my true size 32 waist?

i dont' want it to be too tight but just slim enough

i am fairly new to denim, and have several questions

growing up, i never really liked jeans because my parents bought me the cheapest, shittiest, worse fitting itchy jeans, so i never gave them even a second thought

many years later though, i have been reintroduced to jeans, only of much higher quality, and like them very much

i have a few pairs of lucky jeans, and recently purchased a pair of the evisuxpuma jeans

i have spent many hours over the past few days reading these forums, namely the encyclopedia thread, so i have a pretty good understanding of details abotu denim, brand, etc etc

so for my questions:

-my evisuxpuma jeans, which i have had for about a month(and soaked once to remove the initial starch) are wearing in quite well. they are honeycombing nicely, etc, but in the knee area they bulge out quite a significant amount when my legs are straight. is there a remedy to this, or is this quite normal? most of the pictures of various users jeans that i have seen dont have as large of a bulge in the knee area as i have. i dont want to shape my lifestyle around my jeans(such as not bending my knees or not sitting down often), but it seems that very few of you do since you want to get the worn, lifestyle-molded look in them, so is there something i am doing wrong?

-i have seen many brands mentioned here, but also have noticed some that are rarely mentioned, if at all. such as: true religion, lucky, chip and pepper, seven for all mankind, etc. i am curious, why so little mention of these jeans?

also, what is the opinion of lucky jeans around here? i have several pairs and find them to be a good fits, but dont really know much about the type/quality, etc. hopefully some of you could give me specifics

-what exactly is raw denim? sounds like a noob question and it is, but in readin most of the linked threads on the encyclopedia thread, i never found a definitive answer. inw earing my jeans, i see honeycombing, etc form much more commonly in my evisuxpumas as opposed to my lucky jeans(vintage straight being my favorite of them) would one be raw denim and the other not? could i be told the specifics between these two types of jeans i have and others? also, what exactly is slub?

-i am about a 30 inch waist, 138 pounds, 5'8", slightly slender

as far as my evisupuma jeans go, i have the men's 'regular' type 'worn in' style waist 30 length 32, and they fit very well in my opinion, but then again i am not well versed in denim and various wears. japanese selvedge denim seems very intersting and appealing to me(although difficult to obtain), as do various other brands, so could anyone make some suggestions for me? if the look, fit, quality, etc is good enough, the cost isnt too massive of a factor to me.

also, how do many of you feel about belts with quality denim, and what belts do you suggest?

i am quite interested in denim now, and hopefully you guys can help me out, any info and detail is appreciated, as well as specifics and anything else u can think of that will steer me correctly and inform me well

much much thanks, i am really very interested in quality denim

-my evisuxpuma jeans, which i have had for about a month(and soaked once to remove the initial starch) are wearing in quite well. they are honeycombing nicely, etc, but in the knee area they bulge out quite a significant amount when my legs are straight. is there a remedy to this, or is this quite normal? most of the pictures of various users jeans that i have seen dont have as large of a bulge in the knee area as i have. i dont want to shape my lifestyle around my jeans(such as not bending my knees or not sitting down often), but it seems that very few of you do since you want to get the worn, lifestyle-molded look in them, so is there something i am doing wrong?

Having a knee bulge is normal, the possibility of you having a larger knee bulge is that, your jeans aren't your true fit and are actually baggier, which means when you do sit down or whatever, and start creating the "knee bulge" it makes one, but when you stand up, the knee area will still be baggy with the extra bulge which would make it appear to be huge. I think that makes sense.

-i have seen many brands mentioned here, but also have noticed some that are rarely mentioned, if at all. such as: true religion, lucky, chip and pepper, seven for all mankind, etc. i am curious, why so little mention of these jeans?

also, what is the opinion of lucky jeans around here? i have several pairs and find them to be a good fits, but dont really know much about the type/quality, etc. hopefully some of you could give me specifics

People on this forum aren't interested in those brands because they think they are shit brands. Don't ask me why, but it's probably the same thing as, a group of members that love a model of a car but when asked about another kind of car, they think it's garbage.

-what exactly is raw denim? sounds like a noob question and it is, but in readin most of the linked threads on the encyclopedia thread, i never found a definitive answer. inw earing my jeans, i see honeycombing, etc form much more commonly in my evisuxpumas as opposed to my lucky jeans(vintage straight being my favorite of them) would one be raw denim and the other not? could i be told the specifics between these two types of jeans i have and others? also, what exactly is slub?

Raw Denim = Unprocessed Denim, its denim at it's most natrual state, where it has never been worn, washed. Its sort of like raw meat, and the denim such as true religion, chip and pepper, etc are cooked steaks. They distress their jeans to have all the creases, fades, etc on their jeans already.

-i am about a 30 inch waist, 138 pounds, 5'8", slightly slender

as far as my evisupuma jeans go, i have the men's 'regular' type 'worn in' style waist 30 length 32, and they fit very well in my opinion, but then again i am not well versed in denim and various wears. japanese selvedge denim seems very intersting and appealing to me(although difficult to obtain), as do various other brands, so could anyone make some suggestions for me? if the look, fit, quality, etc is good enough, the cost isnt too massive of a factor to me. [/quote[

You mean, suggest a brand? Theres brands posted on this board everyday, just look around. Theres plenty of websites carrying raw denim and most likely aruond your city at local boutiques. For beginners just go for some nudies, apcs or lvc 47s. As for belts, I just wear whataever.

thanks man

People on this forum aren't interested in those brands because they think they are shit brands. Don't ask me why, but it's probably the same thing as, a group of members that love a model of a car but when asked about another kind of car, they think it's garbage.

would that be because all jeans from brands like true religion, lucky, chip and pepper, seven for all mankind, paper denim are all distressed and not raw?

also what does a term like one-wash mean? the pair of jeans has been washed once? what is the difference with that? and what is similar to one wash? i remember seeing related trms

also, where can i look to see what some of these abbreviations like rrp, apc, vlc stand for?

sorry for the nubness

what are some protective oils or treatments i can put on the leather patches on my jeans that will eventually give it that shiny/rich-colored vintage look?

and where to buy mink oil?

mink oil seems to work -- i've heard of numbers of credible people using mink oil on their leather patches. you can find it in most shoe repair stores.

but other people have used pecard leather dressing. i just got a jar of it for my vintage 50s horsehide leather jacket i scored on ebay. crownzip on this forum recommended it because my jacket was a looking quite dry. unbelievable how well the thing works. the jacket was obviously used and old before, and now people ask me where i got my brand new jacket.

but if you want that aged, beef-jerky look on your leather patch, i've seen people pour boiling hot water over the patch. crazy shit.

thanks man

would that be because all jeans from brands like true religion, lucky, chip and pepper, seven for all mankind, paper denim are all distressed and not raw?

also what does a term like one-wash mean? the pair of jeans has been washed once? what is the difference with that? and what is similar to one wash? i remember seeing related trms

also, where can i look to see what some of these abbreviations like rrp, apc, vlc stand for?

sorry for the nubness

1st question: no its not that, some brands make nice distressing...

2nd question: one-wash meens literally one wash, the raw denim has been washed once so that just meens they do the shrinking for you so you don't have to soak em yourself...lol only related term i can think of is....1wash?

3rd question: model names...did you meen rrds? rrds = nudies regular ralf dry selvage

apc = the french brand APC

vlc...i think you meen LVC...lvc = levis vintage clothing

Guest jeffvyain
hey thanks, if i followed ur advice, how would my samurais fit my true size 32 waist?

i dont' want it to be too tight but just slim enough

what more do you want man? i showed you a picture of me, who is a measured size 32, wearing size 30s. judge for yourself...that's all i can tell you. "too tight" and "just slim enough" are relative terms. only you can answer that question

Does anyone know how much shrinking to expect after the first wash of a pair of nudie straight sven dry selvage?

about an inch in the length, the waist shrinks back to its original state but will stretch back out with wear so it doesn't really matter.

edit: 40 degrees celcius...is what i did. hotter temps will probably shrink them a tad more. stretch them in the leg when they're damp if that's a problem.

Maybe this is a super noob question on my part or ignorance by stores:

When Saks labels their raw denim with dark blue wash. Are they just being noobs and writing dark blue wash instead of dark blue indigo dye?

Another question

and my godbrother recently bought a pair of "raw denim" (which he claims ot be, but I say otherwise), the jeans tag says, "Unwashed Denim with multiple processing wears and distress". If they're still Unwashed Denim, and if it is thrown into the washing machine, will dye come out? and is unwashed denim with loads of distress on it still = to raw denim?

and my godbrother recently bought a pair of "raw denim" (which he claims ot be, but I say otherwise), the jeans tag says, "Unwashed Denim with multiple processing wears and distress". If they're still Unwashed Denim, and if it is thrown into the washing machine, will dye come out? and is unwashed denim with loads of distress on it still = to raw denim?

Raw denim means that the fabric has not been washed after the dye.. But as far as im concerned denim can be distressed eventhough its raw.. But not sure..

So if it's still raw denim but with just loads of distress (and these jeans are faded and everything, but they say its unwashed), if he threw it into the washing machine, would indigo still come off?

and let me rephrase my first question, when a store labels there raw denim to have a dark blue wash, does that signify "dark blue dye"?

yes the indigo will still come out if they are unwashed as you say... Indigo comes out of all indigo dyed jeans, more or less....

dont know about the last question, but i would suppose it doesnt mean the same...

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic