Self Edge, SF/NY/LA/PDX - updates & info

kiya

kan haz three hundred fourty five cents and zero dollars insted?

You have no choice but to buy now, they are long enough for you and also made in your size.

Buy now.

kiya I might buy them if I could find them on the website. Where iz? :-D

They'll be for sale on saturday January 23rd... We're photographing and measuring them over the next couple of days.

^ I saw that article as well. I like style coverage that highlights my taste I.E. when S.E.N.Y was in the NYTimes style section, but somehow I thought the Chronicle's article was tacky. It made "workwear" seem like a fad that was coming into vogue, and a result of the "Recession", as if the whole style industry was responding to a call to need more functional garments.

^^^ Edit NVM, I reread the article, it is more tasteful and historically enlightening than I thought. I just get bitter when I feel as though everyone starts rocking workwear-style clothing as if it's American Apparel--- it will ruin my fondness of the aesthetic.

One more thing, I really hated the photo Of the dork wearing stunna shades and a arctic fur-trapper hat with trendy P-coat and unlaced boots posing with a cigarette next to LULEMON!

Yeah I thought that some of the photos were right on and displayed what the article was talking about: the Iron Heart and Buzz Rickson, Full Count, what might have been Levi's Vintage Collection, and some of the outerwear, but other photos looked much more urban outfitters - maybe they photographed outside of one for some of the other photos? It would have been nice to see some more direct correlation between the brands/pictures/article - similar to what members do on here.

the idea of hipsters dressing like they're not living off a trust fund is a well-used fashion meme and one that last had a major fashion moment in the 90s with grunge... this "workwear" thing is probably the latest expression of that to coincide with the current downturn, you can have $300 repro jeans that's extravagant but only understood by you and your closest 50 message board "friends" - a socially acceptable alternate to carrying a million dollar purse made out of the skin of people who defaulted on their subprime mortgages.

it's great how kiya dismisses the whole idea in the slamxhype interview - it's probably tough for people to understand how a store like selfedge and the brands it carries is really a manifestation of a whole otaku culture that would exist whether or not workwear was the it thing. btw i find it weird that there wasn't any byline on that piece, are we really so post-authorship?

the idea of hipsters dressing like they're not living off a trust fund is a well-used fashion meme and one that last had a major fashion moment in the 90s with grunge... this "workwear" thing is probably the latest expression of that to coincide with the current downturn, you can have $300 repro jeans that's extravagant but only understood by you and your closest 50 message board "friends" - a socially acceptable alternate to carrying a million dollar purse made out of the skin of people who defaulted on their subprime mortgages.

it's great how kiya dismisses the whole idea in the slamxhype interview - it's probably tough for people to understand how a store like selfedge and the brands it carries is really a manifestation of a whole otaku culture that would exist whether or not workwear was the it thing. btw i find it weird that there wasn't any byline on that piece, are we really so post-authorship?

well said. purse bit was funny. and i don't think you can fully understand something you don't know about. don't want to derail, but i would be interested to hear "yous guys" opinion on how many people have even heard of otaku. the percentages have to be small.

PEACE

just read through some of the comments on that article - wow, a lot of animosity. i can kind of understand it, though: hard to understand why someone would pay $300 for a flannel.

Agreed but only with reference for paying $300 for a "brand" flannel that was made in Bangladesh. I found a really nice "subtle" G-Star denim shirt the other day (looked very much like the over-dyed black denim that SE used in the latest IH collab) and they wanted $289+tax. Just for a tag really, the quality was average.

On the other hand, having been to SESF and felt the quality of all the garments in there, handing over $300 to Kiya and his associates would prove no problem to me. The quality is ridiculous plus the service is beyond helpful which makes for an easy purchase (as long as it hasn't sold out :)).

I look at it this way, if you forked out $80 for a Quiksilver flannel for example and it lasted you 2 years max and you did that over the next 10 to 15 (just using reference to dude's shirt in The Chronicle article above) years keeping in mind that they stay at $80, you'd have spent $400 / $600 respectively. With inflation and the like blah blah you'd be looking at way more including time and effort. Keep in mind I am talking of a Made in China garment. The level between this and an IH Hombre or Flathead shirt, well it doesn't even compare.

Let's face it, how many of your real world friends (not your Sufu friends) have actually heard of Flat Head (not a fish), Sugar Cane (not a toad that eats it) or Iron Heart (not Iron Man's heart)? Not many I am sure. So why pay $300 for a "no namer" brand such as these? Because with these companies, you pay for the quality. And for $300, the quailty is amazing.

PS $300 is just generalizing the price point, but I am using for arguments sake. Cool? Sweet.

Agreed but only with reference for paying $300 for a "brand" flannel that was made in Bangladesh. I found a really nice "subtle" G-Star denim shirt the other day (looked very much like the over-dyed black denim that SE used in the latest IH collab) and they wanted $289+tax. Just for a tag really, the quality was average.

On the other hand, having been to SESF and felt the quality of all the garments in there, handing over $300 to Kiya and his associates would prove no problem to me. The quality is ridiculous plus the service is beyond helpful which makes for an easy purchase (as long as it hasn't sold out :)).

I look at it this way, if you forked out $80 for a Quiksilver flannel for example and it lasted you 2 years max and you did that over the next 10 to 15 (just using reference to dude's shirt in The Chronicle article above) years keeping in mind that they stay at $80, you'd have spent $400 / $600 respectively. With inflation and the like blah blah you'd be looking at way more including time and effort. Keep in mind I am talking of a Made in China garment. The level between this and an IH Hombre or Flathead shirt, well it doesn't even compare.

Let's face it, how many of your real world friends (not your Sufu friends) have actually heard of Flat Head (not a fish), Sugar Cane (not a toad that eats it) or Iron Heart (not Iron Man's heart)? Not many I am sure. So why pay $300 for a "no namer" brand such as these? Because with these companies, you pay for the quality. And for $300, the quailty is amazing.

PS $300 is just generalizing the price point, but I am using for arguments sake. Cool? Sweet.

Hear hear!

it just seems like one of the points touched upon is whether $300 is a rational price because of the quality (i.e. 1 IH flannel lasts 4x as long as a Quicksilver [assuming you wear it for 8 years without throwing it up in the supermarket], it looks better objectively, etc.) or is it just valued by crazed otakus and bored/desperate trust fundies. i'm not sure where on the spectrum the this stuff falls.

just to be clear, i'm not trying to criticize the store or anyone else. i just want to figure out for my own sake, as i get pretty obsessive about things and want to make sure i'm spending money somewhat rationally and not feeding some kind of crack addiction.

that said, i'll probably just check out self edge this weekend, as i live less than an hour away, and hopefully i'll be able to remain detached enough that i don't drain my bank account entirely (i.e. buy more than 1 shirt :P).

It always makes me laugh when the yuppies dress up like real workers. What's next? Dressing up like soldiers? Only girly men with too much time and money on their hands worry about who they are going to dress up like next.

Sup Milspex.

One more thing, I really hated the photo Of the dork wearing stunna shades and a arctic fur-trapper hat with trendy P-coat and unlaced boots posing with a cigarette next to LULEMON!

I'm not suprised in the least about all the negative comments attached to that article. Other than Knugget (who looks like he isn't trying and would have blended in just fine 40 years ago), all the rest of the "men" where horrible choices as models, especially the guy in the fur hat.

Do you really believe that?

Uh, yes. This is sort of what the basis of a lot of what goes on in Superdenim is about, figured you'd been here long enough to see that.

Yes, but I would have said:

I/We purchase our garments at high prices not only because of the materials and craftsmanship that go into their construction, but also how they wear over time.

'Quality' is too vague.

Some days more than others.

It's easy to think you're the exception to the rule, but I think 80% of the people on this board are kidding themselves if they really believe that their affinity toward the clothes they buy isn't affected by fashion trends.

Craftmanship, materials, wear over time are all respectable attributes in their own right, but their importance (to me) is ancillary to whether I look good and feel good in that garment, and that has everything to do with the aesthetic preferences of myself and others around me, Like it or not, those preferences are affected by trends.

Now, cue post by an 18-25 year old declaring how their interest in vintage clothing transcends all things including space and time.