Self Edge, SF/NY/LA/PDX - updates & info

kiya

And I don't want anybody to see any light, just call a spade a spade and admit to being a beast. Stop claiming quality and craftsmanship when it doesn't matter if the shit is sitting in the closet. Admit that the "limited quantities," "special edition," "collab" - ness of the whole thing is what is driving this crap.

Jungle Cloth? Ain't many even seen "Jungle Cloth" before, but it is the hypeness, dopest, shit to drop. I gotta gotta have it. Must have jungle cloth, blah i'm done.

I will just quickly jump in and say that I agree that the current market is being driven quite a bit by small number/limited edition products and hype. Smart maketing on the sellers part IMO. Exclusivity and trendiness outsells quality any day, and the guy who just has to have the next hot thing keeps Self Edge and BiG in business for those of us that only buy a couple pairs of jeans a year.

As for the jungle cloth pants, I have a Rickson deck jacket made of that material that I wore all last winter and so far this winter. I wouldn't want a pair of pants made out of it.

Does your lifestyle match the way you dress?

I sure like to think so. I've spent most of my life living in coastal New England towns, passing the time sailing, fishing and scalloping, and collecting artifacts from the beaches. This was when I wasn't spending my time working at a living history museum dedicated to 19th Century shipbuilding. Much of my free time these days is spent restoring historic 19th and early 20th Century homes.

Is that enough, or do I need to actually build a time machine and go back to a merchant vessel in 1932?

Care to explain further zissou as to why one's lifestyle needs match their dress? Just as you said you giggle at dude's with harleys that don't fit the part.

My point about escapism on SF is that it is my personal opinion that buying and wearing shit to escape one's everyday life seems fake. They are trying to create an image of something that they aren't actually living. Use whatever example you want. But, if that's just what they like, then my opinion doesn't matter, and that doesn't effect how I think about what I wear.

Are we beating a dead horse yet??

A salute you, Captain Zissou

Hell, I should be Fleet Admiral for having to deal with this shit. Thank you, though.

to everyone who is "shitting up" this thread--

i won't speak to whether this is an important discussion or not - i think points have been made on both sides - and sure, sufu is an appropriate place to debate it, but this thread is about "updates & info" regarding Self Edge.

if you really want to debate this, you absolutely have every right to, but i think insisting on doing it in this particular thread rather than one devoted to the actual topic at hand is questionable. it's just upsetting people, and even though there's an argument to be made that it's relevant to Self Edge, you're compromising the quality of your own discussion by antagonizing people needlessly (and i say that to people on both sides).

i honestly hope i'm not bothering anyone by saying all this, but i do think maybe it would be better all around if this could go somewhere else, for the sake of the topic if nothing else

^^ I agree, I was stoked to see Self Edge in the Chronicle and posted the link ... I wasn't really thinking so much about the content as much as that it featured the store and Kiya was interviewed, etc. Maybe I should have posted it elsewhere ....

I am super stoked about the Jungle Cloth jeans and Saturday.

This brings up something interesting..

Despite what many are thinking, I actually don't mind this at all just as long as it's not being dragged out with the same points being made over and over again.

I actually enjoy having this thread host these types of conversations, i was a user here far before Self Edge existed and i enjoy seeing conversations like this, even if they may be anti-productive when it comes to promoting a store like mine.

You'll notice that quite a few times this thread derails into territory which has very little to do with actually promoting the store or products which we carry, i'm fine with that and like to think of this thread of a place where people can come and talk about the politics around Superdenim. It's when ignorant or poorly thought out arguments are being spouted off that gets me worked up or annoyed..

For the record, i have very very rarely had any posts deleted out of this thread, if your post disappears you probably very obviously did something to trigger it from the Mods acting on their own or myself.

Dead horse thoroughly beaten.

jungle cloth = very warm pants

true or false?

...I seriously don't know but seem to recall someone eluding to the fact they aint a summer pant. Can someone clarify?

They're definitely warm pant but they don't feel heavy and the inside feels like a pressed cashmere so it's not bothersome when worn in hot climates.

to everyone who is "shitting up" this thread--

i won't speak to whether this is an important discussion or not - i think points have been made on both sides - and sure, sufu is an appropriate place to debate it, but this thread is about "updates & info" regarding Self Edge.

if you really want to debate this, you absolutely have every right to, but i think insisting on doing it in this particular thread rather than one devoted to the actual topic at hand is questionable. it's just upsetting people, and even though there's an argument to be made that it's relevant to Self Edge, you're compromising the quality of your own discussion by antagonizing people needlessly (and i say that to people on both sides).

i honestly hope i'm not bothering anyone by saying all this, but i do think maybe it would be better all around if this could go somewhere else, for the sake of the topic if nothing else

mmg - A thread for this specific topic was started by geneticdrifter but it seems that people have neglected to use it...

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?p=2135078#post2135078

how long you in london for kiya?

From tomorrow morning till saturday morning..

Sufu Hai Gaiz Meet-up with Sybaritical and Tweeds thursday then this on friday:

http://www.sincitylondon.com/

Then off to Gosport for a week.

My point about escapism on SF is that it is my personal opinion that buying and wearing shit to escape one's everyday life seems fake. They are trying to create an image of something that they aren't actually living. Use whatever example you want. But, if that's just what they like, then my opinion doesn't matter, and that doesn't effect how I think about what I wear.

i'm using all the allotted time sorry. i tried to create a new thread, but you know...

so, zissou (or anyone), would you agree that people need to live like what they wear? In the example above you describe as escapism, how can we assume they are buying to escape? The suburban dad, owns that stuff cuz he uses it right?, for whatever reason, even if to look tough or rugged or whatever. If people buy what they want, b/c they like it, how can we call their purchase escapism? Do the leathers that make a soccer dad feel "hard" mean any less to him than your uber functional-designed with purpose "workwear" means to you?

we all see people we think are posing, or faking. but, do we as a community need to segregate people by how they think about their clothes as opposed to soley what they wear. Can i dress like a lumberjack just cuz i like the way it looks? or even better b/c i sit in a cubicle all day, have never left the city, have no intention to, but dream of being alone in the forest with my ax....? ;)

or are we on the next level shit where you aren't fashionable until you actually use your clothes for the right things? are the days gone where to be fashionable you wear the clothes correctly, you must now use them correctly? (by fashionable i mean posting here really. obviously people wearing more of streetwear/oversized/fancy back pockets style aren't going to be seen as fashionable by people here.)

PEACE

p.s. thanks for putting up with this kiya.

I don't think everybody is a trend hypester, but when sufu floods in with a bunch of ex-nike freaks beasting over the next "happening thing" it gets a little annoying.

I don't even care if people are into nikes. It is possible to be into two different types of culture. I just don't like the beasting and consuming involved. The sneaker "culture" seems to exemplify that mentality and I don't want workwear to turn into that.

And I don't want anybody to see any light, just call a spade a spade and admit to being a beast. Stop claiming quality and craftsmanship when it doesn't matter if the shit is sitting in the closet. Admit that the "limited quantities," "special edition," "collab" - ness of the whole thing is what is driving this crap.

Jungle Cloth? Ain't many even seen "Jungle Cloth" before, but it is the hypeness, dopest, shit to drop. I gotta gotta have it. Must have jungle cloth, blah i'm done.

So seriously...is this a vendetta against everyone who likes products that you label as being "hype driven" on here, or do you allow that there might be different instances, some people who are just beasting, and some people who have just found something that they really like, and that works for them, completely isolated from any notions of hype, or limited edition desirability. If you think that everyone here is oblivious to the fact that a lot of the people who are just getting into this have already bought so much, and so many different things that they will likely never have a garment with more than 3 months of honest wear, you are wrong, but to lump in a whole lot of other people just because they are excited about pieces that are also eliciting a fair amount of hype is wrong-headed.

On a different note...and this is not intended to be a jab, its a serious question, I definitely remember you used to post some good photos, and drop some decent knowledge here and there, but it seems like you have dropped that in favor of providing (generally) negative commentary on other people's purchasing habits, at least in the threads I subscribe to. Can you point me in the right direction?

Can i dress like a lumberjack just cuz i like the way it looks? or even better b/c i sit in a cubicle all day, have never left the city, have no intention to, but dream of being alone in the forest with my ax....? ;)

Sure you can, but this is perfect example of escapism. I don't think you need to be a lumberjack just to dress like one. You have a right to wear what you like. But, to me (and remember this is only my opinion that has been posted on the internets and should in no way effect how you feel about the clothes you wear) it just seems fake. Then again, I admit to obsessing over function just as much as form. So, something that may look good, but serves no function, seems useless to me.

Really, I think I've said about all I can on this matter x10. What it all comes down to is: Wear whatever the hell you want- I don't care, even if it's a latex body condom. Just don't, for the love of God, expect that I need to somehow justify to any of you what I am wearing.

Bring on the jungle cloth!

So seriously...is this a vendetta against everyone who likes products that you label as being "hype driven" on here, or do you allow that there might be different instances, some people who are just beasting, and some people who have just found something that they really like, and that works for them, completely isolated from any notions of hype, or limited edition desirability. If you think that everyone here is oblivious to the fact that a lot of the people who are just getting into this have already bought so much, and so many different things that they will likely never have a garment with more than 3 months of honest wear, you are wrong, but to lump in a whole lot of other people just because they are excited about pieces that are also eliciting a fair amount of hype is wrong-headed.

On a different note...and this is not intended to be a jab, its a serious question, are there still any threads where your contributions aren't just a whole lot of shit talking and complaining about how other people are spending their money, because I definitely remember you used to post some good photos, and drop some decent knowledge here and there, but it seems like that doesn't happen anymore, at least not in the threads I subscribe to. Can you point me in the right direction?

Just for the record, I post pics when I have something to post, not when I get something new, unless the new shit I get has not been posted before. BTW if you are not intending something to be a jab you might want to word it a bit differently.

But, as my post suggests, I am not calling everybody a beast. I like it when people find something that they are totally into and it is not hype driven, etc., but it is the instant level of enthusiasm about certain things. You know, two months ago it was standing in line for yada yada, and now it is standing in line for yidi yidi. The quick spike in over the top enthusiasm for this workwear stuff makes me think it is hype driven. Nevertheless people will come out of this with a legitimate love for this type of clothing and I hope that happens, but many will run to the next craze.

I think there are a lot of people on this board that are totally into this stuff because they feel it completely suits them. And i don't think that it is limited to only the OG posters (Cheep, DDML, beatle, poly800, miz, Paul T,etc), but there are a lot of new people on here as well that are truly (I believe) into this stuff (HaGa, Lendo, Happy Hooligan,DrHeech, and many others), but maybe it is the loud minority of Hypebeasts that are making me feel like this entire board has turned into a beast fest.