The Sneakers we wear with our jeans

Flash

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/6/2023 at 5:44 AM, Broark said:

Anyone have experience with US Rubber sneakers?
_MG_0067__39515.1685726925.jpg?c=2

Just a word of warning if anyone else was in the market for some deck sneakers. :unsure:
I ended up picking these up from Leffot on sale (~$70 USD shipped) and I have to say these are some of the cheapest feeling sneakers I've tried.
They seriously feel like something you'd pick up from Walmart as a knockoff / lookalike of Vans. Glad I didn't spring for them full price, but even at the price I did pay I feel a bit conned.

• 3 weeks later...

Both brands are manufactured by Moonstar, I've owned both and found the quality to be comparable.
The Doek feel a bit more substantial due to the cork insole, but I found the Oxfords to be too narrow for my feet so I ended up getting rid of them.

4 hours ago, Depth said:

Would love to know peoples experience with shoes like pottery vs doek and other kurume made canvas sneakers?

I've had a few pairs of Moonstars, a Doek court sneaker and some SLP low sneakers.. as @Broark says, the Doek have a more solid feel due to the cork (which probably makes them better to wear without socks as well, should you be so inclined). Shoes Like Pottery share a plain blue rubber sole with the Moonstar B-Ball models (like a low Chuck Taylor). Moonstar gym shoes have more of a ripple sole and a different treatment of the toe-cap rubber – there's a greater variety of Moonstar models, but as far as I can see the other two are pretty much the same as Converse Chuck Taylors or Purcells, in high or low.

Sizing is fairly consistent, in that whatever fits in one brand will work across all of them. They run a little large, but (as mentioned above) not particularly wide. If you have ever tried Common Projects you'll be familiar – I am EU 45 in general, but 44 would be the sweet spot for me in Kurume sneakers if I could find any. I can make 43 work length-wise, but they feel a bit tight across the toes by the end of a long day.

They wear very well – the rubber is much more durable and flexible than Converse, tends not to split badly where the ball of the foot flexes and wears down without shedding fragments like an eraser. I don't drive and am quite active at work – they all feel fine after 12-16 hours. Overall, I feel the Doek are best to dress up or down (mine are ecru/dark brown) and work well with chino / denim / military-inspired clothes, but there's not much in it. Moonstar do quite a few collaborations – I've a nice dark indigo / indigo rubber pair they did for Studio Nicholson that I picked up second hand. Finally, they are all quite expensive – worth it if you have your heart set on a particular model or are a wear-it-until-forced-to-get-a-new-one person, but I would wait for sales or buy lightly used.

20 hours ago, mondo said:

I've had a few pairs of Moonstars, a Doek court sneaker and some SLP low sneakers.. as @Broark says, the Doek have a more solid feel due to the cork (which probably makes them better to wear without socks as well, should you be so inclined). Shoes Like Pottery share a plain blue rubber sole with the Moonstar B-Ball models (like a low Chuck Taylor). Moonstar gym shoes have more of a ripple sole and a different treatment of the toe-cap rubber – there's a greater variety of Moonstar models, but as far as I can see the other two are pretty much the same as Converse Chuck Taylors or Purcells, in high or low.

Sizing is fairly consistent, in that whatever fits in one brand will work across all of them. They run a little large, but (as mentioned above) not particularly wide. If you have ever tried Common Projects you'll be familiar – I am EU 45 in general, but 44 would be the sweet spot for me in Kurume sneakers if I could find any. I can make 43 work length-wise, but they feel a bit tight across the toes by the end of a long day.

They wear very well – the rubber is much more durable and flexible than Converse, tends not to split badly where the ball of the foot flexes and wears down without shedding fragments like an eraser. I don't drive and am quite active at work – they all feel fine after 12-16 hours. Overall, I feel the Doek are best to dress up or down (mine are ecru/dark brown) and work well with chino / denim / military-inspired clothes, but there's not much in it. Moonstar do quite a few collaborations – I've a nice dark indigo / indigo rubber pair they did for Studio Nicholson that I picked up second hand. Finally, they are all quite expensive – worth it if you have your heart set on a particular model or are a wear-it-until-forced-to-get-a-new-one person, but I would wait for sales or buy lightly used.

Thanks for the detailed reply! I am a 6.5/7 Mens in Converse chuck 70s, do you recommend sizing up to size 7 or sizing down to 6? I have pretty slim feet, so I don't personally worry whether they are too wide. 

Thanks everyone!

sorry, should have said earlier – EU 45 is US 11; I find I'm an 11 in Chucks. US men's 7 is EU 39.5 or Japan 25.0 cm – whatever size it says on the shoe corresponding to 25.0 cm (or slightly below, like 24.5) should be good. The Japanese size is the standard they're constructed to.

16 hours ago, mondo said:

sorry, should have said earlier – EU 45 is US 11; I find I'm an 11 in Chucks. US men's 7 is EU 39.5 or Japan 25.0 cm – whatever size it says on the shoe corresponding to 25.0 cm (or slightly below, like 24.5) should be good. The Japanese size is the standard they're constructed to.

Thanks for the help! ill probably end up sizing down to 24 versus sizing up to 25. im closer to a 6.5 then a 7. Appreciate it once again.

Edited by Depth

• 2 weeks later...