Denim World Championship - SuFu Division

Max Power

@pudaspriest: my gf wants to see them horses - you didn't take pictures, huh?

They unfortunately did not allow pictures of the horses, but I had to get pictures of the outside of the building. You don't see these kind of attractions too much anymore, at least where I live. 

BOOKED FLIGHTS TO JAPAN! so pumped!

November 8th-15th. 

Can anyone in the DWC that has been/can recommend their top 3 places around Tokyo to visit? 

Are you staying in tokyo the whole time or are you getting out of the city as well? 

November 8th-15th. 

Can anyone in the DWC that has been/can recommend their top 3 places around Tokyo to visit? 

depends what you want to do/see/eat?

rmc store, kapital store, iron heart hachioji, pbj tokyo. ramen places in ueno and harakuju, ginza barin, any random japanese sushi place. take a trip to fuji, asakusa temple, odaiba island, tokyo skytree and plenty more. just if you're travelling a little out of tokyo, would be worth to get a jr pass and hop on the shinkasen to make full use of it.

November 8th-15th. 

1. My favorite was definitely seeing Mt. Fuji. Took the bus to Kawaguchiko, then the cable car up Mt. Kachi Kachi. Don't stop at the viewing deck though; follow the trail up to the top. You get an amazing view of Fuji there from the forest. Was lucky enough to see two golden eagles up there circling their nest and the mountain.

2. General Harajuku/Shibuya/Ueno areas with all the denim/silver/leather/boots shops. Pick your stores wisely, unless you have enough time to hit them all.

3. Robot Restaurant. Very fun silliness, made for the little kid in you, with some seediness thrown in.

On a related note, I very much wanted to go to Hawk Cafe right near Skytree (went on the wrong day when they were closed). You can get up close and handle all the hawks and owls in the cafe.

There's so much to see just in Tokyo, not mentioning day trips to places like Kamakura. If you're going with a special ladyfriend, Disney for sure too.

Edited by Iron Horse

Well I changed my mind, posting these here because they look a lot better than the iPhone shots I just posted!

Hey guys, so I got my hands on a much nicer camera so I snapped some quick photos of my OA02XX's to test it out.

Instead of cramping up the DWC page I'll just post them here.

fkSiUlC.jpg

bx5QmKq.jpg

wOJTIhO.jpg

9r5xmcb.jpg

YEaHGEw.jpg

mF5y975.jpg

VNtOrv3.jpg

They unfortunately did not allow pictures of the horses, but I had to get pictures of the outside of the building. You don't see these kind of attractions too much anymore, at least where I live. 

Are you staying in tokyo the whole time or are you getting out of the city as well? 

I have no idea, i saw a flight sale and booked it...I think i would like to get out of tokyo, we are only there for 7 days  so hopefully a few of those days we can get away from tokyo. I would love to see some of the Japan country side/moutains but i don't know how feasible that is in 7 days. 

depends what you want to do/see/eat?

rmc store, kapital store, iron heart hachioji, pbj tokyo. ramen places in ueno and harakuju, ginza barin, any random japanese sushi place. take a trip to fuji, asakusa temple, odaiba island, tokyo skytree and plenty more. just if you're travelling a little out of tokyo, would be worth to get a jr pass and hop on the shinkasen to make full use of it.

I will have to investigate this jr pass and see where we can go on the shinkasen. I would love to see a tonne of japan while there. 

1. My favorite was definitely seeing Mt. Fuji. Took the bus to Kawaguchiko, then the cable car up Mt. Kachi Kachi. Don't stop at the viewing deck though; follow the trail up to the top. You get an amazing view of Fuji there from the forest. Was lucky enough to see two golden eagles up there circling their nest and the mountain.

2. General Harajuku/Shibuya/Ueno areas with all the denim/silver/leather/boots shops. Pick your stores wisely, unless you have enough time to hit them all.

3. Robot Restaurant. Very fun silliness, made for the little kid in you, with some seediness thrown in.

On a related note, I very much wanted to go to Hawk Cafe right near Skytree (went on the wrong day when they were closed). You can get up close and handle all the hawks and owls in the cafe.

There's so much to see just in Tokyo, not mentioning day trips to places like Kamakura. If you're going with a special ladyfriend, Disney for sure too.

Excellent! thanks, i think all of the things you mentioned will be planned out. Probably wont have time to hit all the stores but i would definitely like to visit a few of them and perhaps pick up a new pair. Grabbing a pair of jeans while in japan has always been a cool idea to me. 

Disney would be amazing, only been to the one in orlando Fl and i miss going...the GF may enjoy it, might have to run that idea by her 

^7 days is way more than enough to get out of Tokyo. While you many not be able to go too far, you can easily hit Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka in that frame. I also highly recommend the jr rail pass if you do plan on leaving Tokyo. If not, then no need to. While your trip is a bit short it'll still be loads of fun. Enjoy! I'm thinking of booking a trip in April, but haven't decided if I want to go back or go somewhere else.

If you have the time and the inclination I highly recommend visiting a nice traditional onsen ryokan somewhere outside of Tokyo. They are probably my favorite thing about visiting japan, relaxing hot springs, amazing cuisine and great service. I am going to japan for a week in December and my wife and I planned our trip around the ryokans we wanted to visit. 

If you do get a rail pass definitely go to Kyoto, it is so nice there! Much better traditional Japanese atmosphere than around Tokyo but you can jump on a train for a quick ride into Osaka if you are craving some big city action. 

^7 days is way more than enough to get out of Tokyo. While you many not be able to go too far, you can easily hit Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka in that frame. I also highly recommend the jr rail pass if you do plan on leaving Tokyo. If not, then no need to. While your trip is a bit short it'll still be loads of fun. Enjoy! I'm thinking of booking a trip in April, but haven't decided if I want to go back or go somewhere else.

I can already sense that I'll be going back to Japan, its been somewhere i've always wanted to go. Definitely going to be going to Kyoto, my trip will coincide nicely with the autumn colours there! I'll eventually get around to posting some denim updates and a rough itinerary for criticism closer to the date 

If you have the time and the inclination I highly recommend visiting a nice traditional onsen ryokan somewhere outside of Tokyo. They are probably my favorite thing about visiting japan, relaxing hot springs, amazing cuisine and great service. I am going to japan for a week in December and my wife and I planned our trip around the ryokans we wanted to visit. 

If you do get a rail pass definitely go to Kyoto, it is so nice there! Much better traditional Japanese atmosphere than around Tokyo but you can jump on a train for a quick ride into Osaka if you are craving some big city action. 

Kyoto is a must for me...the Onsen ryokan (no idea thats what they were called) is exactly what i was looking for! thanks! The hot springs and that atmosphere is precisely what i want to get out of this trip, as well as the seeing the city life of Tokyo. 

now this is where my opinion may vary. 7 days is not a lot of time around tokyo. for me, i would recommend against heading towards kyoto and spend time around tokyo and the outskirts of tokyo like fuji and such. there's plenty to be had in and around tokyo plus if you're planning on heading to disneyland/sea, that's already at least 1 full day gone 

now this is where my opinion may vary. 7 days is not a lot of time around tokyo. for me, i would recommend against heading towards kyoto and spend time around tokyo and the outskirts of tokyo like fuji and such. there's plenty to be had in and around tokyo plus if you're planning on heading to disneyland/sea, that's already at least 1 full day gone 

No, I agree with this. To properly see Kyoto, one needs to slow down and spend two days there at the least, preferably four or five days. Osaka can be done quickly, but that's another whole day or two to see Dotombori, Amemura, Osaka Castle, etc. Plus, Nara is a must-see for me in Kansai, and that's another whole day.

I think seven days is good for Tokyo with one to two day trips out of the city (Fuji and maybe Kamakura). If it was two whole weeks, then I think it would be fine to do a week in Kanto, and another in Kansai.

Edited by Iron Horse

Personally I think Kansai is much more appealing than tokyo and I would spend most of my time there if I had my choice. They are right though that trying to see both tokyo and kyoto in a week is ambitious. Another option is too spend most of the time in the tokyo and go do an overnight trip somewhere like hakone.

Here are some old photos from the beginning of august, I was planning on pairing these with photos of the repairs that SESF would do at the beginning of september, but it has been 6 weeks and some change and i still haven't gotten them back. 

My jacket has gotten a decent amount of mileage since i took these photos and i'll get some up to date photos once my pants come in the mail. 

Also i started school again so i havent been able to be as on top of documenting my process but ill do my best in posting at least twice a month or so.

cheerz

DSC_0519_zpse0ianhuc.jpg

DSC_0520_zps6l4rwuxm.jpg

DSC_0523_zpshyeinp8d.jpg

DSC_0526_zps1agmme1q.jpg

DSC_0527_zpsfxvqcn9g.jpg

Been slacking on jean updates, stopped raining for a while today so i quickly snapped a few. Only added a bit of sharpening through lightroom because i find my fuji raws get mushy when processed through LR without it. Used the Provia Film setting on the camera which makes these are true to colour as possible. (some of my focusing is off..but whatever) 

Flat Head 3009 (4 machine washes, 3 soaks) - crotch repair done by Mikhail Zenon in sydney (does great work!). I've washed these once since the last update, so i think I'm at 4 machine washes now and 2 soaks plus the initial hot soak. These things shrink up nicely after each wash, loving them so far and the back pocket arcs are completely destroyed now. the back left is gonna fall out soon enough as well. 

21557936920_d8a74203be_k.jpgDSCF5718 by matt karai, on Flickr

21123189604_fd4f06ff57_k.jpgDSCF5711 by matt karai, on Flickr

21559082209_56159ab0f5_k.jpgDSCF5721 by matt karai, on Flickr

21755321951_57a233c18d_k.jpgDSCF5722 by matt karai, on Flickr

21734381212_789e551ea6_k.jpgDSCF5723 by matt karai, on Flickr

Momotaro 0205sp (4 machine washes) - Not too much of a change i don't think, its not popping as much since i haven't been wearing it as much recently. It'll get a bit of wear this summer during evenings and maybe some camping trips or early morning hikes but other than that probably not much. Gonna rock it for most of my trip in japan in november tho :)

21734364712_df386c8bf7_k.jpgDSCF5724 by matt karai, on Flickr

21557996060_a0f901fa3f_k.jpgDSCF5725 by matt karai, on Flickr

21123301534_8549a8f437_k.jpgDSCF5726 by matt karai, on Flickr

21123323934_a4e6280c2a_k.jpgDSCF5728 by matt karai, on Flickr

Edit: downsized the pictures, the full size images were giving both my phone and my work computer some trouble with loading. 

Edited by karanimal

great updates here guys. can't believe some of the pairs are almost trashed already! i have just started wearing mine again after 3 weeks with the tailor. should update mine soon too. 

@Max, really hope you get your jeans back soon man. they were just getting good. 

After a manic few weeks of work it was time to let off some steam good & proper last weekend. And like all the best weekends, it started with some Swedish Viking metal: 

ne8b95Ml.jpg?1

And then Saturday we headed to Villa Park, Birmingham to see South Africa vs. Samoa in the Rugby World Cup. Plenty of overpriced lager was consumed:

wuwAcjkl.jpg

FkW6rvJl.jpg

Following SA losing to Japan last week they came out all guns blazing - great game.

TDKZJbBl.jpg

And here's how the jeans are looking:

l8ll2PZl.jpg