Denim World Championship - SuFu Division

Max Power

Hi everyone! I went for my usual walk through town today and thought I'd take some photos for the neighborhood challenge.

Starting out the door of the hostel I've been in for nearly a month now...

image.jpg

As time goes on, I find myself getting more and more restless in this part of town, and my walks have meandered a bit longer and farther every day. Today, I decided to revisit the botanical garden a couple kilometers down the road. On the way there, I passed by my favorite brewery:

image.jpg

The Ecuadorean microbrewing scene is really only getting started, and in other parts of the country I've only come across two towns that have sold any beers other than the government-sanctioned Pilsener, Brahma, or Club. This brewery has supposedly led the microbrewing charge in Cuenca and now has five varieties of beer they make in house. At $3.50 for a 750ml mug, I can't really complain! Unfortunately, it's too dark inside to get any good shots of the beer itself.

Moving on down the creatively named Calle Larga (aka Long Street), one of the main connecting roads in this part of town.

image.jpg

Without a doubt, my favorite aspect of the city proper is the huge proponence of street art. Having seen some terribly ugly scrawls during my time living in Seattle, living in Cuenca (and throughout Ecuador in general, really) has reaffirmed my faith in graffiti as an art form.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I wish I had brought my camera on my previous walks.. these, though amazing in their own right, are rather small and uninteresting compared to some of the murals in the southern part of the city.

Anyway, after a lot of walking, we come to this:

image.jpg

Kind of weird, right? This huge, out-of-place building is the Central Bank of Ecuador. The same building, inexplicably, houses the Cuenca Symphonic Orchestra and a small technical/architectural university. It also shares the block with the botanical garden and a very well-preserved Inca ruin:

image.jpg

Into the garden on the left:

Here is the cactus garden, one of my favorite parts of this walk.

image.jpg

In the above picture, there are three species of cacti, all with very different and useful purposes. The top-right cacti, whose name escapes me right now, can be drained and used as a very effective insect repellant.

Just below it is a relative of nopal, one of the most nutritious plants in the Andean Sierra. The tennis-racket shaped leaves are traditionally fried and eaten with meats, vegetables and sauces throughout Latin America. Another related plant, called tuna, is eaten regularly to cleanse the body of toxins.

The straight, tall cacti in the middle are San Pedro, or Wachuma, a very hardy cactus known for its psychoactive properties (containing mescaline and several other alkali). It has been used by shamans throughout the Andean region as a medicine and for ceremonial purposes for centuries. Peyote, another mescaline-containing cactus native to the southwestern US, Mexico, and Guatemala, has been used by Mayans and other indigenous groups for similar purposes.

Cacti really are beautiful!

image.jpg

(Also, try and find the bird!)

Through this gap in the cacti garden you can see the cultivated space I headed to next.

image.jpg

(cont.)

Edited by chicote

If you grew your hair and wore a horned helmet you could pass as a Viking Max. What do those runes on the stone say?

Indeed I had really long hair some years ago. Glad that this phase is over. The runes on that so-called big Siggtrygg-stone say "Asfrid had this stone made for Sigtrygg, her and King Knuba's son".

@chicote: great post!

Edited by Max Power

Another part of the making.

After cutting all pieces, it was time for sewing.

First Mr. Ruttloff attach the lining to the yoke.

18411362329_aaf419a15a_c.jpg

18571085376_caf9a14ef7_c.jpg

Then the yoke is sewn to the leg, with a Union Special double chainstitch mashine.

17976638453_4fc0eb6215_c.jpg

18592849872_c94e911d81_c.jpg

18570851366_14a95b372a_c.jpg

Flatten the seams and attach the right to the left rear leg with the same mashine.

17976521703_f03f8d595d_c.jpg

18592593362_9bfd69db82_c.jpg

The result.

18571206426_43a4600698_c.jpg

Chicote - great posts, which make me reminisce about my time in Ecuador 25 years ago! Outside of Quito, my main recollections are the market in Otavalo; Inca ruins in Ingapirca; the beautiful topiary in the cemetery in Tulcan and a quaint, crazy little coastal town called Bahia de la Caraquez, which was being eroded by the Pacific (I note it has now seen quite a bit of development in the last quarter of a century). I had a great time there with lots of good memories and some strange tales! I look forward to your future instalments.

great updates, everyone! is there any fixed date until the challenge pics should be uploaded? because of my new job as dad i do not find much time at the moment. 

Chicote, wow what an update. Looks absolutely amazing there learned quite a bit. I really so like how South America embraces the graffiti and treats it as a form of art. During my trip to Brazil I was absolutely floored at the amount high quality murals and pieces there were.

I am also going to take a look for some amamranth, sounds like a nice alternative to bread.

Straightedge, so by the end of two years we will finally get to see the final product?

Congrats on the new job, Bill-E! From what I've heard, there are some pretty busy hours on the night shift.. but hey it pays well in the end!

And hey, thanks everyone! It's a pain in the ass to type these posts out on my phone so nice to see they're appreciated.

Maynard, sounds like an awesome trip! I got stuck in Bahia for four hours on my way to Cuenca from a bit further up the coast... it really has developed fast, you can see its towers clearly from 100 kilometers up the beach! It'd be great to hear some of your adventures in the future.

Ooms, my research primarily has to do with the forced cultural integration of indigenous peoples resulting from economic interest in the Amazon (gold and oil drilling, deforestation, trafficking and overhunting of forest species and creation of trade posts and waste sites on indigenous land), but recently I've also become really interested in the roles of shamans and storytellers in furthering traditions, and of the process of becoming one or the other in indigenous groups that have already begun to westernize. Generally, these sorts of roles are passed from grandparents to grandchildren, but as cultures are rapidly changing this relationship has also been forced to adapt. I'm hoping to spend a couple of years with the Achuar, though likely not on this trip, to start to answer some of these questions... we'll see!

Also, great photos straightxedge! It's awesome to get the opportunity to watch the denim production process so closely.

e.- Brad, I'd be more than happy to bring some amaranth flour back with me to Vancouver! I probably will anyway for myself ^_^

Edited by chicote

thanks, chicote! yes, it's extremely busy at the moment. hopefully i will find some time during this week for a short trip to munich. i urgently want to get my contest pair hemmed. so fingers crossed!

just got back from a weekend in Cairns, QLD, Australia

A weekend of beaches, snorkelling and diving (2 sharks & 4 sea turtles), a helicopter ride out at the great barrier reef, and a bunch of gorgeous waterfalls within the rainforest

Here's a few highlight pics

18438239849_080f8cc1f5_o.jpgP6060083 by matt karai, on Flickr

18436716700_70a311e9fc_o.jpgP6060090 by matt karai, on Flickr

18436712760_7fc7f1dddd_o.jpgP6060147 by matt karai, on Flickr

18436707160_c411eeefe4_o.jpgP6060151 by matt karai, on Flickr

18598027706_6183f7cc22_o.jpgP6070537 by matt karai, on Flickr

18438217439_94022b5bf7_o.jpgP6070577 by matt karai, on Flickr

18003600713_82064fe165_o.jpgP6070641 by matt karai, on Flickr

18001588334_d940f41fbc_o.jpgP6080052 by matt karai, on Flickr

Edited by karanimal

Continued

18597850626_f503d9ea22_o.jpgP6080342 by matt karai, on Flickr

18624214645_4b90cb2cf2_o.jpgP6080372 by matt karai, on Flickr

18436516840_06387af88c_k.jpgP6080373 by matt karai, on Flickr

18001550004_1389b60575_k.jpgP6080391 by matt karai, on Flickr

18619609132_ef3c9d24da_k.jpgP6080442 by matt karai, on Flickr

18598049496_973deb8217_o.jpgp by matt karai, on Flickr

Might have to resize some of these, first time using flickr. If anyone is having issues with the photo size let me know and i'll resize them if need be  

Edited by karanimal

Apologies for spamming the thread but I had a down day so i tried to get out before the sunset to grab a few update pictures at just over 2 months of wear on both my flat head 3009 and momotaro 0205sp (2 washes and 1 wash)

Unedited other than lightroom converting them from raw 

e0niqw9.jpg

5z9oc9h.jpg

jN1Fjur.jpg

IMrMdeT.jpg

aDvjzKh.jpg

IC3BcM7.jpg

The sun was setting too fast for me and any where i tried to lay the jeans down flat the shadows over the denim were just not cooperating. Next month will be planned out better and the jacket will be hung for photos 

I was about to take a lot of pictures for an update on the TCB Oranges, but then the camera ran out of battery and I had to run to work, so this is what I got. I have lost count of wears, but they have had two soaks and one machine wash. 

FUJI7919.jpg

Edited by mandel9000

Same thing here because my seven weeks old daughter pukes very often and I don´t want to wash my jeans every two days.

So I have worn my pair only about five times until the contest starts. Not much evolution seen on them at the moment.  ;)

Hey its been quite some time since I've been on here! I got distracted with some other things and then went away for 10 days hiking and camping. I took a ton of pictures so don't mind my lengthy update! Im at about 7 weeks of wear on my jeans. At the 8 week mark I'm going to give them a cold wash and hang dry. My shirt is at about 5 weeks of wear I'm going to cold wash them with the jeans. The shirt has never been washed/soaked.

20150529_075208.jpg

20150529_075228.jpg

20150525_202439.jpg

20150526_100808.jpg

20150527_145846.jpg

My favorite shot, Canadian Tux while in Canada!

20150525_131606.jpg

Thats all i have for now I'm going to take a lot more pictures before and after the wash a long with detail shots for the challenge. Hope everyone is enjoying their jeans as much as i am!

Thanks

Edited by itschrisb

Same thing here because my seven weeks old daughter pukes very often and I don´t want to wash my jeans every two days.

So I have worn my pair only about five times until the contest starts. Not much evolution seen on them at the moment.  ;)

The jeans would just reflect your life as a new dad, and isn't the denimhead way all about having jeans reflect the wearer's life ;)

I've been in your exact situation 6 months ago though, when my daughter puked all over a brand new pair of jeans :D The puking will get less frequent and then it's smooth sailing - at least until you'll start her on solid food and then it's food thrown on them, but at least then the food won't be covered in stomach fluids :D