Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

6 hours ago, Talan said:

For a shoes like this, for example (pic from JLB site):

1538345108_ScreenShot2022-12-11at11_12_09.png.2e708fcb2b78805b1aed8cd879e59723.png

I think others have said it buddy - but for me it’s a very specific type of shoes that it works with and I’d be thinking of a lot more finesse it’s than John Lofgren (or a pairs of military No.1s being bulled). If the shoe lacks structure, especially at the toe box then it’ll be difficult to create and maintain a mirror shine. Every fold and crease will break down the finish.

On a slightly different aspect, for me mirror finish is really just about filling up the leather pores until they become smooth and so lack character and eventually just hiding the leather entirely. This is even worse than cordovan (probably the most man made finish you’ll ever see in leather) since at least cordovan will eventually patina

Edited by Duke Mantee

12 hours ago, indigoeagle said:

A few years ago I tried a mirror polish on my Black Cherry Beckmans and it worked surprisingly well. Looked neat.

I had read that Hayashi-san of Resolute likes to polish his PB Chambords. If done properly the nubuck leather can look like shell cordovan.

DSCF8669.jpg

Nice job - but I 100% stand by my comments re it’s a process of hiding leather 

1 hour ago, Duke Mantee said:

Nice job - but I 100% stand by my comments re it’s a process of hiding leather 

But on the other hand, it is so nice to baby a precious pair of shoes. I even bought a Saphir items on purpose…  :huh:

6 minutes ago, Duke Mantee said:

Enjoy yourself 

I did my time bulling boots and now I love to ‘see’ good leather

I am not sure I am able to do a proper 'mirror' polishing though... Too lazy for this. I just love to have it well-cared. If it will be possible, of course :rolleyes:

I like that sharp angle on the sole. Reminds me of those vintage shoes known as Philadelphia Spades. 

2 hours ago, bartlebyyphonics said:

@Talan - back to attractions again: they seem to like a mirror polish on a worn in boot; not even hiding poor leather...

image.thumb.png.c9d7dd323ee0e09c5b4b58c2b259610a.png

Oh, poor me. Didn’t see the advantage of good leather with no care over bad leather with care… 

I used to be an obsessive shoe polisher. Lots of spitting & rubbing tiny circles with a cloth wrapped finger. Sounds vaguely obscene, doesn't it?

Back then I had one good pair of shoes (wingtips/brogues) & a pair of engineer boots. I recall my chums taking the piss out of my shiny boots yet to me it felt right to keep them regularly polished.

I rarely have time for that routine anymore & save that approach for for leather that has somewhat of a natural shine.

@JMS JK Superduty S and Hoggs of Fife Rannoch both have a lot going for them. They fit pretty differently, and, in particular, the JK have a lot more arch support (and the option for nonstandard widths, if you’re anything besides an E). For me, the fit’s better on the JK, but you can’t go wrong either way.

On 12/16/2022 at 8:07 PM, Talan said:

I enjoy taking care of good shoes. I'm probably too blunt. 

no problem! me too!

On 12/17/2022 at 1:28 AM, CSL said:

I used to be an obsessive shoe polisher. Lots of spitting & rubbing tiny circles with a cloth wrapped finger. Sounds vaguely obscene, doesn't it?

Back then I had one good pair of shoes (wingtips/brogues) & a pair of engineer boots. I recall my chums taking the piss out of my shiny boots yet to me it felt right to keep them regularly polished.

I rarely have time for that routine anymore & save that approach for for leather that has somewhat of a natural shine.

sounds good to me! never been into polish myself, always used dubbin so natural changes could be seen. sent a pair of boots to be resoled at cheaney factory; forgot to say no polish: they came back a very different boot... much flatter... 

these days I am enjoying what mink oil does to black leather; a sort of matt hum... 

3 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

While we had the controversy of "mirror shine", what's everybody's take on Jodhpur boots

I have traveled several times in Rajasthan (Jodhpur is a city in Rajasthan) but I have never seen any special local boots... Everyone seems to wear sandals or basic flip-flops in India. At least that's what I've always worn in India, the cheaper the better. Also, there are quite a few places to be barefoot in India - temples, ashrams, pretty much all indoor areas. No much use for boots...))

By the way, the word "Aryan" itself is of Indian or Iranian origin. Hitler seem to be known in India, at least in any airport you can see Mein Kampf in a bookstore, probably considered appropriate reading on the plane :wacko2:.

Not a fan of mirror shines or Jodhpurs. I can understand a mirror shine but in general if it's in the context of trying to somehow "dress up" blue jeans it's a hard sell for me, and when it comes to boots with similar silhouettes - which I don't love with jeans - I will always prefer laces. 

Edited by AlientoyWorkmachine

I’d been eyeing the black (Tender) sidings boots for too long. Finally took the plunge and a 5 mile walk to break them in some. Aside from the inclement days where my blundstones will be taken out I think these will be my go to until summer and even then they’ll get wear. 

CECD4BDA-4B74-45E6-8185-B88057C518D0.jpeg