Levi's Vintage Clothing

chromium, I never had a pair of rigids that didn´t shrink, so I don´t konw what went wrong with yours... give another try, with boiling water, but beware that the leather patch could become jerky!

i think so ! Thanks for your advise .i will try again and soak in boiling water.

i think so ! Thanks for your advise .i will try again and soak in boiling water.

Paul T is totally right, I only would soak em a second time if the lack of shrinkage is on the leg length side, remember that the waist doesn´t shrink that much and often stretch back nearly to the size before the first soak/wash...

Does anyone know where i can get 1966 501 rigid in a 32/34 preferably in the uk ? I've searched online and eveywhere is sold out

modual, I have a pair of 66s I bought from American Classics 2 or 3 yrs ago. Theyre limited edition, a run of 1210, labeled as 34' but actually 32'. I tried wearing them a couple of times but they've always been too tight. Still raw. I'd be interested in selling.

A mentioned before, the current cut is based on the 1947; it's similar but not by any means identical. The other contender is the 1966, which I THINK has a slightly lower rise, the only person I know who has both is Rob, PM him and ask.

(he's on the 501 visual guide thread, for one, where there's more info about all the cuts, http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=34010)

Great video, btw, love that introduction too.

Edit: Sorry, I thought you were repeating your question, you weren't, my bad... http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=53045

No sweat, questions like the one I had seem all too common :)

I never pm'd Rob, but I did find a pair of '47s on Cultizm in my size (with a 38 inseam to boot...gonna roll the hell out of them).

I have a question about shrinkage. If it takes ~ 10 soaks to reach full shrinkage, would it be feasable to just do them all right off the bat? i.e. several one-hour soaks/hang-dries in a row? If it sounds like a winner, then I wouldn't mind putting in the time. I just wouldn't want to risk any heavy dye loss, nor ruin the colorfastness of the denim.

I suppose this is how the addiction to denim begins :o

Hi guys

I just bought a pair of 67 505 and as far as I know, this jean is pre-shrunk, do I still need to give it a cold/hot soak before I wear it? Because I searched and found 2 different answers.

Thanks

I soaked mine and they didn't shrink at all.

A question for everyone (which may've already been asked, and I'm sorry if it has):

What have your experiences been with keeping the 1947 501s completely dry? That is, not shrinking to fit, but wearing them straight out of the box. I'm a big fan of the roughness and hue of the untouched denim, and am completely in love with the fit of a 31x34 as-is, but have been told by a few people to size up and shrink-to-fit because the end results will be better and I won't have to worry about them shrinking to be too small once I actually do wash them. So, has anyone done this, and if so, what were the results? If I wash them after 6-8 months of wear, will they shrink to the same size they would if I shrank them right out of the box, or will the stretching that occurred negate that? Dry clean instead?

Again, any help is appreciated.

505: these only stretch a little, max. 1"

1947: you wanna do it the same way ì´d do, buying a size the fit perefctly unshrunk,

I wouldn´t be afriad of shrinkage if you´d wash em in cold water, if it doesn´t give a good cleaning result just give em a dry clean... you can say the hotter the water, the bigger the shrinkage.

jyoni - several cold soaks probably won't make much difference compared to one. It's the first wash, with agitation, which gets most shrinking out of the way. Although you could soak them several times, if you really want maximum shrinking it would probably be better to do a machine wash without soap - it's all a question of priorities. Personaly, I soak just the once, as I like them crisp at first, and I think you get slightly higher contrast fades that way. Soak them hot if you want more shrinking.

505 - no need to soak at all, they are Sanforized. The only reason to soak would be to lose the new-denim sheen. Which some people like.

Snickersnicker, wearing the 1947 true to size and then cold-washing only is a pretty good approach that many people have used. Dry cleaning doesn't work too well when the jeans are worn-in, it looks weird. When you wash them, simply do so cold, preferably by hand (use a soap block and brush for the difficult to clean areas like hems and pockets) and shrinkage won't be too severe. You'll probably only really notice it along the length. Good luck, and make sure you show us the results in six months!

(I used much the same approach with some of my Lees, look in the 'Evolution of Denim' thread for pix)

Thanks Paul and Sympathy. Regarding length shrinkage (which is what I'm more concerned about), can you just pull the inseams of the 47s to the desired length? I know this has been the case with the Nudies I own, but I'm not sure if it's the same for non-sanfronised(sic) jeans. The 31x34s have the perfect length for a ~1" cuff and an inch or two of stacking, and I would prefer to keep them as close to that length as possible.

Hmmm...I suppose I'll have to deal with an inch or so loss, though the fit is honestly perfect and I'd prefer not to. I'll just try to keep them dry as long as possible and use the weight method when the time comes. Thanks again!

Ann Arbor is an okay place. I've always felt the town was kind of soulless, and the UofM vibe has annoyed me at various times. Still considering attending there for law school, though. Encore Records on Liberty street is one of the best record stores in the Midwest, I must admit.

Someone know about 1955 dry in fault edition that produced in last 1 or 2 year ago from EU collection.

Nowaday these stuff still available and where i can get these?

What's an 'in fault edition?"

Cinch in London (5 Newburgh St) and cultizm.com both have the 1955 Rigid (dry) in stock. They're sized large, btw, unless you want them very wide indeed it's probably worth going for your actual size waist.

Will the upcoming F/W LVC collection featrure a natural indigo dyed denim? I have several pairs of 1947 LVC but would really like a pair in natural indigo. Although I like the 45 RPM Jomon, I always seem to come back to LVC.

Search this thread and ye shall find...

...that, yes, there is a XX, single pocket early version coming in natural indigo, I believe at around $400. I might well be posting pix on the 501 visual guide thread in the next week or so.

Edit: by the way, the reason it's an early model in natural indigo, and not the 47, is that the original jeans used synthetic indigo denim, which appeared on the 501 from 1922 or so.

What's an 'in fault edition?"

Cinch in London (5 Newburgh St) and cultizm.com both have the 1955 Rigid (dry) in stock. They're sized large, btw, unless you want them very wide indeed it's probably worth going for your actual size waist.

I think it's irregulary 1955 dry ,on the 2 horse patch say 50155-0116 instead 501XX and the denim looks like 14oz ,this model has come from EU LVC for 2 or 3 years ago.

Thank you Paul, I’ll keep my eye on it next week. I noticed while following your suggestion to research the thread that in discussing the 1873 and 1886 single back pocket cinchback jeans, for instance, you mentioned that the synthetic version is probably better than the natural version. Is it because the synthetic version fades better with more contrasts or is the Levis natural indigo dye color bland or uninteresting? Also, in this price range, I expect the run will be somewhat limited. Will they be sold in Levis flagship stores or possibly on Cultism and how to know when they are released so as not to miss them; watch this thread?

Oh, did I say better? I wouldn't say they are, just different. Some people think natural indigo denim must be better because it's more expensive. I don't necessarily agree - some of the natural indigo jeans produced by LVC have not been as nice as, say, the 1901 jeans. Look for more pics here:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=34010

There are of course many variables in indigo, we've had lots of debates here about which is better, some natural indigo jeans are a more royal blue colour, and harder to wear.. but not all.

I'm pretty sure Cultizm will have them, Cinch too, not certain about the US.

I've been promised a pair of the new (or is it the old) natural indigo jeans, plus the current Nevada-like jeans, to photograph. I'll post them on that thread when I get them, and will probably post a note on this thread too.

chromium, re those 1955 irregular... you know something I don't, I thought that model number was an error. 50155-0116 is LVC's own code for their 55 repro, and wasn't an original Levi's model number. Hence I thought that name on the leather patch (instead of on the inside tag) was simply a typo - but this only my supposition, not info from LVC. Would love to know more, if you know more.