Levi's Vintage Clothing

I would look for the new F/W collection to be available at the end of July/early August...FYI, cultizm is about the best place I've found to purchase items (especially the raw denim pieces) from the EU/Global collection.

Thanks, I'll keep my eye on Cultisim later this month.

US availability for LVC is extremely limited (despite the indication from collection catalogs each season that the collection will be fairly expansive)...for the past several seasons here in the US it's included the rigid 47 501s, rigid flares (646s and 517s) a 'vault' piece or two and couple overpriced 'finished' jeans. I really wish they would expand the availability of rigid jeans here in the States.

any reason why Levi's released two womens "throwback" jeans recently? we just got two different 60s labeled jeans into the store, both orange tab little e. weird to see when its not LVC. they also just sent us a womens jean almost like a crop with red yellow and green selvedge.

I know that LVC here in the US had some women-specific pieces there were set to be released with the recent spring/summer collection (they were in the catalog at least), but I wasn't aware that they ever hit stores...for the US, they have a tendency to put much more in their catalogs than they actually ever release.

I have a question!! Will my jeans stretch out? 1947 501's 32x38.. I am a true 31/32, but they fit slightly too high for my taste, trying to sag a little, and they are too tight for that. Any ideas?

waistband stretcher...or just soak the waist and put them on while wet...

Which one works the best? Waistband stretched..... where do i get these? They're just regular hoooks/clothes hangers right, in a particular way of hanging them up?

just to let you guys know, ALL Levis stores will recieve the 98 dollar selvedge 501s in a raw and washed form sometime this month. also, they are changing the cut of all 501s around the world, something more similar to the 47 cut.

just to let you guys know, ALL Levis stores will recieve the 98 dollar selvedge 501s in a raw and washed form sometime this month. also, they are changing the cut of all 501s around the world, something more similar to the 47 cut.

When is this scheduled to happen, 40oz? This includes even low-grade stf?

yeah. the cut is changing all around the world, the first time they have had a unified 501 cut. it is becoming similar to the 1947 cut.

Hmmm, a puzzle. They redesigned the 501 around fall 2003, the design was by Gary Harvey, and the design aim was to emulate a 1947 cut; straight legs, but with a slightly lower, tilted rise, losing the 90s carrot shape, with a mild antifit. (It was at the same time they reintroduced the much steeper, almost vintage-style arcuate). This was instituted in Europe at first, but was then, I believe, rolled out across the US, too.

I can't see how they could make it much more like the 47, except for it being higher rise, which would surprise me. Is there any more info?

My one guess would be that they're making it generally slimmer; the 2005 cut was straight, but not too slim, and was also designed so it could be worn oversized.

Edit: Just found some info from the press release, last time around:

When Gary Harvey, Creative Director of the 501 brand, masterminded the new cut, he found inspiration in the 1947 501. Back then, the 501 had a straighter, less tapered leg, the waist was lower, more tilted – and it was Anti Fit. All these elements are revisited in the new version. Although it harks back to the 501’s utilitarian origins, the cut looks more contemporary - and more timeless. The waist is lower and more dipped at the front, the back pockets move down, the fly opening is shortened, the seat is cut wider and the leg cut is straight. “It’s a more iconic look, reworked for the next 10 years or more,” says Gary, “but it also looks more like… the 501!” More authentic, less polite, with darker denim finishes making for a more raw look, the New 501 is made to be worn low, and oversize.

I'll try the new ones on tuesday and tell you how they fit. From what I heard, they are slimmer in the thigh. sounds eerily similar to what they tried to do last time. Anyway, as i understand it, this is a big thing because the 501s have never been the same all around the world.

Going two sizes up on 1947s , just got a pair of W38 L34 , measuring just over 18 1/2 inches width across the waist . If these shrink 2 - 3 inches on the waist after soaking they should stretch to about a 35 inch waist with hopefully a looser thigh fit and wider leg opening . I am looking for a more authentic fit and hopefully this will do it !!

I'll try the new ones on tuesday and tell you how they fit. From what I heard, they are slimmer in the thigh. sounds eerily similar to what they tried to do last time. Anyway, as i understand it, this is a big thing because the 501s have never been the same all around the world.

I had a run down today, although I haven't seen them; the main change is the slimmer leg, tapered down to the knee (the old one was pretty straight down from the thigh, hence not too similar to the 47). Some changes to the top box (not sure if it's less antifit), back pockets, arcuate etc remain much the same, other details like belt loops and pocket openings are modified.

btw, i stopped by the Chicago levis store and noticed that they had a skinny cut for women called the "1966 skinny". From the looks of it, it looked like a reproduction of the 1966 606 Super Slim jeans. It didn't have a patch, and the cut looked very similar to my 606s. Orange tab and the weirdest thing was a few pairs had capital E's. Next to those were some other orange tab jeans called the "70s flares" which had a unique back pocket stitching which looked pretty similar to warehouse duck diggers. It was the first and only time I've seen a pair of levis without an arcuate.

btw, i stopped by the Chicago levis store and noticed that they had a skinny cut for women called the "1966 skinny". From the looks of it, it looked like a reproduction of the 1966 606 Super Slim jeans. It didn't have a patch, and the cut looked very similar to my 606s. Orange tab and the weirdest thing was a few pairs had capital E's. Next to those were some other orange tab jeans called the "70s flares" which had a unique back pocket stitching which looked pretty similar to warehouse duck diggers. It was the first and only time I've seen a pair of levis without an arcuate.

the 1966 skinny must have been the 606s, origanally the came with a big e orange tab, nothing weird about or was it only an E on an plain orange tab like with the cotemporary Capital E Premium line???... to the 70s flare i remember there have been jeans made by levi´s called "movin on" which had been produced until the 80s, sometimes you can see "The Toff" wearing them in Knight Rider with but pretty ugly pocket design!

It's been a while since I've read this thread or the board in general, so this may have been addressed somewhere here, but I was going to pick up a new pair of '47's at the Levi's store yesterday and all they had were washed versions. I tried on a pair, which was true to tagged sized (not pre-washed size) and the fit was horrible--nothing like the last pair that I had. The denim felt quite a bit lighter than what I remember, but I'm sure that was because the starch was washed out, and they had a much baggier fit than what I like. Does the European version have a slimmer cut?

Also, to any of you that have the 1967 505's, how have your zippers held up? I just broke my zipper after wearing them for about a year. I was thinking that I would take them to a tailor to get the zipper replaced & I was thinking of getting another pair, but now I'm thinking that button fly is the way to go. Wouldn't the 47's be the closest in fit to the 505's? I had a pair of the 66 501's at one point, but they weren't nearly as slim as they were made out to be.

Washed 47 are made in a different factory, in Turkey I believe; the raw versions should be OK. (Incidentally, there will be a new US factory producing the raw at some point, hopefully the fits will remain the same but you never know)

I would say the 47s are not as slim as the '67 505; they are slightly slimmer than the 66 501 though. THe 67 are slightly tapered, but wider in the thigh; you'd have to downsize them to get them to look as slim as the 47, but the overall shape would be closer to the 505 I reckon. For all that, there are so many variables, that if you really like the 505 cut I personally would stick with that and resign myself to replacing the zipper at some point...

Edit: I dropped in Cinch yesterday and saw samples for the incoming range, some of whihc looked terrific. However, I believe the sample are made in Europe, with the produciton examples coming from a new factory in the US, so it's hard to be conclusive. I liked the 1922 501 (I've also seen it listed as 1927 essentially it's the 501 once production switched to Cone denim) - arcuates looked very hand-done and vintage style, shape was rather like the 1901, with narrow, widely-spaced back pockets, but with redline denim, which looked good and dark.

There was also a little e 1978 replica with the stock control tag, which seemed to be cut much wider than the original... but again, this was a sample.

CInch also have the 333 on sale, IIRC down from £145 to £100.

Washed 47 are made in a different factory, in Turkey I believe; the raw versions should be OK. (Incidentally, there will be a new US factory producing the raw at some point, hopefully the fits will remain the same but you never know)

I would say the 47s are not as slim as the '67 505; they are slightly slimmer than the 66 501 though. THe 67 are slightly tapered, but wider in the thigh; you'd have to downsize them to get them to look as slim as the 47, but the overall shape would be closer to the 505 I reckon. For all that, there are so many variables, that if you really like the 505 cut I personally would stick with that and resign myself to replacing the zipper at some point...

Edit: I dropped in Cinch yesterday and saw samples for the incoming range, some of whihc looked terrific. However, I believe the sample are made in Europe, with the produciton examples coming from a new factory in the US, so it's hard to be conclusive. I liked the 1922 501 (I've also seen it listed as 1927 essentially it's the 501 once production switched to Cone denim) - arcuates looked very hand-done and vintage style, shape was rather like the 1901, with narrow, widely-spaced back pockets, but with redline denim, which looked good and dark.

There was also a little e 1983 replica with the stock control tag, which seemed to be cut much wider than the original... but again, this was a sample.

CInch also have the 333 on sale, IIRC down from £145 to £100.

Do you really like the 1927 denim? I think it's far too modern-looking, so very shiny and not at all hairy. This is true for all the redline(Cone) denim in my opinion. Really like the 27 otherwise.

The small e 501 was presented to me as a 1978 but I dont know which is correct or why they'd choose 78 pver 83.

I realise that I'm very slow with the pics, they will be up asap.

I checked the tag in the pair of 47's that I tried on and it said that they were made in the USA.

So has the shape of the 47's changed since prior seasons?

I didn't know that but I don't look at the washed pairs too often. Although it's normally only the higher-price washed versions that are made in the US, there must be other variations from what we get in EUrope.

So has the shape of the 47's changed since prior seasons?

For the raw, I believe the shape is the same. I saw what looked like the spring 08 ones yesterday and sizing looked identical to previous editions.