Levi's Vintage Clothing

What are the basic fit differences between the :

'47 501

'55 501

'66 501

'67 505

??

Look to the visual guide for more details. But, from the '47 to the '55, the '55s are bigger in the waist, seat and thighs for the same tagged size. From the '55 to the '66s, the jeans get smaller in the waist, rise and seat, a little smaller in the thigh, and much more tapered below the knee. From smallest to largest for the same tagged size it would go, 47s, 66s, 55s.

Can't help with the 505. I think historically they should be cut very much like the 66 501, but I believe LVC has customized it a little slimmer than that.

Colegems, thanks and couldn't agree with you more about preferring darker heavier denim that takes time and honest wear to break in.

very nice Grant! +rep. i prefer the older LVC models. they don't carry a premium for nothing. i prefer the darker heavier denim, you have to put your time in but the results are worth it.

Look to the visual guide for more details. But, from the '47 to the '55, the '55s are bigger in the waist, seat and thighs for the same tagged size. From the '55 to the '66s, the jeans get smaller in the waist, rise and seat, a little smaller in the thigh, and much more tapered below the knee. From smallest to largest for the same tagged size it would go, 47s, 66s, 55s.

Can't help with the 505. I think historically they should be cut very much like the 66 501, but I believe LVC has customized it a little slimmer than that.

the 505's have a higher rise, tighter thighs, all around more tapered leg and bigger back pockets than the 66 501. they are one of the trimmer models. probably the closest comparison fit wise to any i have are the 47's but they are pre-shrunk. they are one of the better models and i don't think LVC took any liberties with the fit. the old models were trim and a tad smaller than tagged size. i owned a couple of prs of real vintage 505's from the early 70's and they were almost identical in fit and cut. the LVC repros are almost identical to the originals.

Pavlov's -- I've been wearing my '66s quite a bit of late and will say this: they stand out among all other LVC models. The lower rise coupled with fuller thighs can create an odd fit if not sized properly. Honestly, the '66s have to be pretty snug to work. I hadn't worn mine much for the first year or so that I had them, but since gaining 25lbs. they fit much better.

Well, my '66s are a size 36 and I believe they were 37.5" pre-soak and shrunk to 35" after a couple hot soaks. My '67s are also a size 36, but were closer to 37". Obviously, you needn't soak the '67s. The thighs will be slimmer than those of the '66s, definitely.

so the 67 505 is basically the slimmest of the '4X/'6X lvc models? slimmest leg opening too?

no the 47 is the slimmest + it is stf, so if you're new to LVC you have that added risk. the 505 is the next slimmest model i have first-hand experience with (i haven't owned any but i'm sure the 606 is quite slim) my 505's are slimmer cut than my 66 501's in the same waist size despite the 66 501 being STF. my 505's are some of the best looking and best fitting jeans i own. i wish i had more than 1 pair.

also the LVC 517's are trim in the waist and thigh esp. considering they're sanforized. maybe it's because they're a later model or probably their being bootcut but they don't get a lot of love here. but i really like mine. i tend to choose what jeans i wear based on the rest of what i'm wearing. (i don't like to mix eras) but i usually wear my 517's with either frye harness boots or 70's era vasque and my buzz rickson OD M-65. it gives a good late 60's/early 70's look.

I picked up the One Pocket Sunset Shirt and the Four Button Sunset Shirt from the Gilt sale. Did not really need them but it was like hey Gilt has LVC and if I don't buy it now, the stuff I am interested in will sell out. As with Gilt no returns except for a Gilt credit:( My question is how long before any of this stuff ends up on Ebay for a premium?

hows the flare on the 517?

cheap, i think the leg opening measures around 9.5" they're cut trim in the thigh and flare out below the knee. they're something different from the norm. i don't wear mine but once in awhile but i like them. i have the raw 1971 orange tabs and they're pretty cool.

^Funny, I have a pair of LVC 517's that have been sitting in the drawer for the past 4 years....The flair is considerable, and the rise quite high as well.

the fit & rise is about the same as the 505. although the 517 is a more fitted cut. the design is similar the pocket size and location etc... the real difference is the 505 tapers below the knee and the 517 flares out.