Levi's Vintage Clothing

Those 1944s look great.

I am still looking for a pair of 555 ones tho. Would swap a kidney for a pair.

Honestly, I think the 2010 issues are better. Didn't notice the beltloop problem roy6 mentioned, but the detailing and, most of all, the fabric, is some of the best I've seen. Altho like many recent ones, they're made well oversized.

I was going to say this as well...the most recent run of 1944s appear to be the most authentic LVC have put out to date...I guess aside from the fact that they weren't actually MADE by Levi's.

Honestly, I think the 2010 issues are better. Didn't notice the beltloop problem roy6 mentioned, but the detailing and, most of all, the fabric, is some of the best I've seen. Altho like many recent ones, they're made well oversized.

Guest rusholmeruffian
I was going to say this as well...the most recent run of 1944s appear to be the most authentic LVC have put out to date...I guess aside from the fact that they weren't actually MADE by Levi's.

Aye, there's the rub.

Guest rusholmeruffian

Came accross these recently, wondering if PaulT or another expert could help.

I remember LVC bringing out a distressed version of the 1st blue jean around 1999. These have had the wash label cut out, so maybe are seconds (although I can't see any fault)

Does anyone know the factory from the number 822 stamped on the button ?

IMAG0159.jpg

IMAG0160.jpg

IMAG0161.jpg

IMAG0162.jpg

IMAG0163.jpg

IMAG0164.jpg

Incidentally, distressed denim isn't my thing, if anyone wants to buy, pm me.

i would like to know what's with the huge oversizing. when this happens is it a production error or are they doing this on purpose? if on purpose, what possible use can it serve except to cause a man to sag his jeans. your advice to get actual measurements is a lesson i had to learn the hard way a couple of times before i wised up.

i would like to know what's with the huge oversizing. when this happens is it a production error or are they doing this on purpose? if on purpose, what possible use can it serve except to cause a man to sag his jeans. your advice to get actual measurements is a lesson i had to learn the hard way a couple of times before i wised up.

They're basically shrinking to tagged size at the waist. Probably makes it easier to get non-sufu LVC buyers fitted.

They're basically shrinking to tagged size at the waist. Probably makes it easier to get non-sufu LVC buyers fitted.

Except they sell every pair with a brown tag attached that tells them to buy 2 inches larger in the waist. I'd think non sufu people might take that to heart and end up with balloon pants.

thanks Setterman. yeah that makes sense, i just wish they would make up their mind how they want to size them and stick with it, so each tagged size would shrink to roughly the same waist/inseam across the whole range. it would be a huge help to take the guesswork out of it. especially in light of the fact that so many (me included) have to buy over the internet and cannot try them on before purchase. plus if you have to send them back for refund/exchange due to these issues it can add to the cost of getting a pair.

Except they sell every pair with a brown tag attached that tells them to buy 2 inches larger in the waist. I'd think non sufu people might take that to heart and end up with balloon pants.

this happened to a friend of mine with a pair of regular STF. he's actually about a 36-37 waist and wears 38 in regular pants. so on his first ever STF purchase he reads Levis advice and buys a size 40. he soaked the hell out of them in hot water and put them in the dryer trying to shrink them down. the end result was after fully shrunk they wouldn't stay on his hips. with a belt he looked like a bunched up paper bag. his wife exchanged them but i had to tell her what size he needed to get.

Forgot about that tag. yeah, if you follow that you wind up jeans that are waaay too big.

With all the recent talk of Levi's produced in the Valencia St. Factory, coincidentally, I came across this pair of LVC 1963 551zxx dated July 1996, yesterday. The denim is darker and not as thick as the denim on the LVC 201xx 555's I had.

I was able to fit them on but the crotch area is a bit tight. These jeans were preshrunk, so I am wondering if they would stretch out. I am thinking that a crotch blowout later down the line would be inevitable.

They appear to be never worn and they are stamped "Irregular" with the Levi's red tab cut off..

IMG_5481.jpg

IMG_5482.jpg

IMG_5484.jpg

wear them in the tub and wear them all day until they dry on you and they will fit. i have done it with sanforized Lee's and got them to fit a full size up. you'd be suprised how much they'll stretch to fit. after that cold wash/line dry and they'll maintain roughly the same size.

1937 owners,

How do your 37s actual measurements compare to tag size?

I'm interested in a pair and have seen some W34/L34s that are apparently true to tag size. I need a 32 waist after shrinkage so this would be good.

I just want to check other owners' experiences first.

Thanks

Maynard i have 3 prs and my experience is they measure TTS to 1 over. 2 of mine are 643's and the last was 4170 measuring 1" over raw. if you need a 32 i would buy a 32. if they shrink in the waist they'll stretch back out, i think 34's will be too big.

Those bibs that were on eBay went for almost 6 grand. Crazy.

I know, that is nuts.

And I don't know if this is original, or just one of the LVC versions (it doesn't seem to have the same distressing as the LVC, but I honestly don't know), but if it is original, this is also pretty rare and very cheap for what it is. It's a pre Type I jacket: http://cgi.ebay.com/levis-vintage-selvedge-blanket-lined-denim-jacket-xl-/170646304158?pt=UK_Men_s_Vintage_Clothing&hash=item27bb4ff59e

(oh and it's a BIN, so I shouldn't be blowing up anyone's spot).

I just tried on everything at the store in San Francisco and found that the 33 was the closest fit to what I'd like, but I didn't think that the material was as nice as the other models. They didn't have the 201 there, however. So, how does the fit of the 201 compare to the 33?

^The 201 is a fuller cut. It tapers out from the waist more and is wider in the top-block and all the way down the leg.

I don't think they are currently making the 201 though...

Just in the process of selling my 555 201's, for £280. Need to sell 'em though as I bought an Lvc 1930's A-1 style jacket, the one made by Aero in 2003 (cost me £290).

Do you have that Jacket Roy6 ?? If so, what's the fit like on you?

:)

Maynard i have 3 prs and my experience is they measure TTS to 1 over. 2 of mine are 643's and the last was 4170 measuring 1" over raw. if you need a 32 i would buy a 32. if they shrink in the waist they'll stretch back out, i think 34's will be too big.

Thanks colgems, my 1915s are tagged 30/34 but measured 34/35 raw and they fit fine, hence my need for a raw 34 waist in the 1937s. I think a size 33 may be the best bet.

My only other experience with LVC was the 201 from 2005 - they were oversized in the waist and length and didn't shrink as much as I'd hoped so I gave them away. Don't want to repeat that mistake.

Just in the process of selling my 555 201's, for £280. Need to sell 'em though as I bought an Lvc 1930's A-1 style jacket, the one made by Aero in 2003 (cost me £290).

Do you have that Jacket Roy6 ?? If so, what's the fit like on you?

:)

Yes, I observed you stealing that jacket, and was glad to see you get it. IIRC you got a Large? They're oversized, I'll bet that will be more like a loose XL, and since you like a kind of loose fit, I'll bet it will fit you just the way you want it to.

I have a small (the Aero tag in the pocket says 38), buts it's more like a loose 40 (I have a 40" chest):

5798790801_c94fe3db5b_z.jpg

5798790949_80fe2e8b23_z.jpg

Yes, I observed you stealing that jacket, and was glad to see you get it. IIRC you got a Large? They're oversized, I'll bet that will be more like a loose XL, and since you like a kind of loose fit, I'll bet it will fit you just the way you want it to.

I have a small (the Aero tag in the pocket says 38), buts it's more like a loose 40 (I have a 40" chest):

5798790801_c94fe3db5b_z.jpg

That's very observant of you Roy6, yes I have given up on looking for a 2003 ed. R'n'R to fit me, and I was chuffed with the final price (my 555 201's will be paying for it). Glad of the slightly looser fit as always, I just hope that it doesn't become a more favoured jacket than my '38 GW M-422.

The fit on yours looks great btw.

Must spread as usual.