Levi's Vintage Clothing

the 505's are great. much more versatile IMO than the 517. still, i like the 517 because it's something different and has the same great fit as the 505; the real difference between the two is below the knee. you can wear the 505 with anything but the 517 only works with certain items due to the boot cut.

Sorry for the plug, but in case anybody was interested in purchasing a pair of LVC 551zxx from '96 for $130 shipped US, I have a pair listed on eBay that will end tomorrow morning:

every time I see a pair of these it pisses me off that they're not in the current line up. Look how dark they are compared to most current LVC... Lovely! Reminds me more of the denim used in my Sugar Cane 66s than that used in my 4170 55s and 66s.

Sorry for the plug, but in case anybody was interested in purchasing a pair of LVC 551zxx from '96 for $130 shipped US, I have a pair listed on eBay that will end tomorrow morning:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320710969034&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

2ltizop.jpg

somebody ought to grab those. they're 555's and a good model. much too small for me though. the 551 were the precursor to the 505. very nice denim on those too.

every time I see a pair of these it pisses me off that they're not in the current line up. Look how dark they are compared to most current LVC... Lovely! Reminds me more of the denim used in my Sugar Cane 66s than that used in my 4170 55s and 66s.

everytime i see these it pisses me off they're not my size. i would need a 38/34. they made them but they're scarce. but yeah the denim on old LVC was heavy & dark and i prefer it to the newer stuff. i like the new stuff too but if i had a choice between 555/554 or the 4170 models no question what i'd choose.

everytime i see these it pisses me off they're not my size. i would need a 38/34. they made them but they're scarce. but yeah the denim on old LVC was heavy & dark and i prefer it to the newer stuff. i like the new stuff too but if i had a choice between 555/554 or the 4170 models no question what i'd choose.

It pisses me off that I'm not a size 30 waist anymore. Over the past couple of months, I have come across several 555 LVCs with a size 30 waist when I would keep all of them if they were size 32.

I prefer the heavier and darker denim from the older LVCs than the denim on the current LVCs. I tried on a pair of '47 501s from the current season and even prefer the denim and fit of my '47 501's from 2007. I will be buying a pair of LVC's from the current season if I do not find any older LVC's in my size soon.

haha a good man cant pass up on a good deal. they will be hidden deep in the recesses of my closet though since i have always wanted a pair with a 32" inseam. a couple of months back i bought a 33 x 34 but wasnt able to get over the inseam, so i sold 2 pairs off. but now that i have finally located a pair at a steal, they will be well kept for now.

i am still in the eternal contest, so i will be wearing those till the end of next year on the rare occasions that i will get to sport some denim but other than that, i have got a used pair of samurai 710s i got off the supermarket for cheap, so that would be my wear pair when the eternals are in the wash.

having said that, the 1st gen $150 roys were my first contact with CONE denim and ive quite simply fallen in love with the texture of CONE. would have kept the CONE x ROY forever till i got the chance to wear them again but that wouldnt be very fair would it? having said that, this isnt the ROY thread, so not to derail. ha.

http://www.ln-cc.com/levis-vintage-clothing/levis-vintage-clothing-1947-501-jeans-rigid/invt/lvc010005den/

can anybody tell me why the pockets look so queer? i thought they were supposed to be more squarish?

They look legit to me. THe pocket shape varied from period to period, the originals often have pretty tapered pockets.

Must confess that when the Roy X Cone tour is finished I'm looking forward to wearing my 55 or my 47 into the ground... then from March or so I fancy a short, 60s-style cut, ideally something Japanese for a change.

They are available from LNCC with that big discount - personally, I'd snap em up now if you think you need a pair in the next couple years. I'd be surprised if they stayed in the range for a long time.

SOrry, know that's not what you want to hear.

Well, hopefully they'll be around next month in my size somewhere here in the US. The Union Square flagship store only just got theirs in so I might be ok. The discount only drops them to $211 plus shipping so it's not that much of a saving.

But you would get VAT off, surely, have you calculated for that?

Yeah, how oversized are they? With free shipping I might have to just sack up and get them.

Edit: Well, I'll be eating Ramen for the next month but I pulled the trigger on some Pantaloons. FYI the LVC guys said they run about 2 inches oversized and once shrinking and stretching is all done will probably end up back close to tagged in the waist. They are however tricky because they are pretty tapered in the leg. I gambled and went 33x34, my normal stf size is 34x34 so we'll see what happens.

hi paul, you know how i should size for the pantaloons, i'm a w32 (80cm) on the waist. thinking of getting a 33 or 34...

They're made from Japanese denim and there is not the same amount of shrinkage as with cone. Its also not the same denim as the 1901s or the 1880s .Also they are trim. Much trimmer is cut than the 1901s.

^ Well, we'll see. They may indeed make a swift return journey back to the UK. The details are just very intriguing what with the pocket shape, the waist band cut and the lining but you're right they have the potential for 'clown pants' to them.