Levi's Vintage Clothing

The generally accepted date for belt loops is 1922. My rough guess would that these are among the last Amoskeag jeans - the Cone versions are much, much darker.

I think your right Paul. Going by the pics, that type of fly and suspender buttons were used up until the mid- to late twenties, so definately an early twenties pair.

As has been said though, beautifull arcs (they would've looked great on the 1915's/17's...lvc take note!)

Not LVC related, but. . . For those of you who bought the Levis Sea Salt Sevledge from J.Crew, how's the denim on those? How does it compare to other Cone Mills denim? And since I can't find the $20 pairs, worth paying full price ($140)?

funny... im wearing a pair right now. i would say not worth full price since for just a little more money you can get something nicer. for 20$ tho(what i paid for mine) they are a steal.

the denim is decent... very dark and smooth. sanforized, which im not used to. i have a feeling tho, the darkness comes from a sulfur top, not 100% indigo dye(im not positive about this tho. not really sure how it compares to other cone since ive never had any other sanforized cone.

they also have very little in the way of the details we come to expect around here... ugly bartacks abound, the hem is not chain stitched, no back pocket rivets, flimsy pocket bags. it is really just a modern selvage jean.

all that being said, i like mine, and if you can get them for 20$ get them. if not, save up some more money and get lvc or something from japan.

From photos, the denim looks decent to me, but not amazing... better than APC but not up to the LVC, and personally I find the lack of chainstitched hems a real turn-off. THey're cheaper than APC, of course, but for me, if you're going to spend 6 months wearing jeans in, best to start with something slightly better quality.

THat said it's a step in the right direction for Levi's. I really think they should introduce a standard, $120, selvedge STF 501 with full-on Cone fabric and keep it in the range permanently.

Great to see those... interesting also that there is very little lemon stitching; that the denim is tightly woven compared to the 47, with less of the fill yarn showing, and even though this denim is unsinged, they are not very fluffy - they are using a longer staple cotton than in, say the late 60s.

THe S in that position... I think it's Special length, or overlength.

I just bought and received these off eBay!

I know these aren't LVC, but...

5159918128_9346dd04cd_b.jpg

5159313339_625829344f_b.jpg

5159921192_244943b1a3_b.jpg

5159314631_61f1e362ef_b.jpg

5159919726_3ecf4f7399.jpg

5159919410_3a50d17c10.jpg

5159917962_c7db2dcb05_b.jpg

Anyone know the age on these? I think they're based on the 1966 cut.

Behind the inner tag, it reads:

555 0594 47513-4

501 0001

Anyone else seen/own these? Like/dislike?

I think those are pre LVC when capital E was first starting out. I wish I could tell you more but those were made on Valencia street because of the 555 button so definitely a nice find! Interesting rivets on them as well.

@Dom

They were the first capital E reissues, made before Levis Vintage Clothing was born. They were made 0594, according to the info on the tag you have given. They are a generic 1966 based repro, but made with the same denim as some of the early Lvc IIRC.

Nice find, and with the box too. Hope you didnt pay too much for 'em?

On the subject of belt loops. Here are my Lvc 55s a few days back in wjaywt.

IMG_5895.jpg

IMG_5899.jpg

5160752240_f1c0193e77_z.jpg

5160701036_0f88bf7f55_z.jpg

5160098435_af4f6dd8de_z.jpg

It has the offset rear loop as shown in the pics above. I could be wrong but initially, I thought they were the Jp version as I had read somewhere the offset loop distinguishes between the MIA and MIJ versions (even though it came with the big Made in USA tag). The inside tag (exactly like the one in the last pic which I took off the web from a rakuten site) says 55501-0051, which appears to be a 2009 model, and not MIJ.

Any thoughts? Could there be a MIA version but was released for the Jp market?

thanks dr house. I got it from my local levis shop here in Singapore a few months back. They only stock a few pairs and at that time there was only one other w36 left. If you google it you should be able to find a few Jp sites still selling those but I think with limited sizes left.

aho - yes, loving these the denim is really nice and slubby for 12.5 oz but they are fading very slowly :)

Those look terrific Ninja; nice slim calf profile too, did you buy actual size, or size up? If they're made in the US, then they have to be Cone fabric, so they will fade a bit quicker than the 47.

Haven't seen these before, I guess they're from the defunct LVC Japan - will ask if I meet anyone who knows.

Incidentally, is this guy a sufu'er? Maybe a Levi's emplolyee? Check out out the rope dyeing photos from ORta, and some excellent 1944 S501XX, on the next page. These have definitely joined the 55 as my fave 501.

Thanks Paul for the insights.

They are tagged 31 x 34. I bought them TTS when my waist was 31 a couple months back. I've dropped some weight and now am back to a 30 waist. So, I guess you could say it's more of a one size up now. However with 2 hot soaks on them right in the beginning I'm really enjoying the cut and fit on them right now.

FWIW, the tag (if it is indeed the same) reads "Levi Strauss Japan" in Japanese...and damn, nice pair and great fit...If I were hard pressed to buy a pair of LVC, it'd be the '55's!

I'm sure I've said it before, but I'll say it again.... I don't know why the '47s are the "it" model when it comes to LVC. From my personal experience and the pictures I've seen of others wearing the 55s, they seem to be a cut that fits everyone pretty damn well. Can't recall seeing a bad pair in fit or fade.

thanks dr house. I got it from my local levis shop here in Singapore a few months back. They only stock a few pairs and at that time there was only one other w36 left. If you google it you should be able to find a few Jp sites still selling those but I think with limited sizes left.

aho - yes, loving these the denim is really nice and slubby for 12.5 oz but they are fading very slowly :)

Which local store? I only know of one levis store at raffles place which stocks some LVC and damn, over-priced.

I'm sure I've said it before, but I'll say it again.... I don't know why the '47s are the "it" model when it comes to LVC. From my personal experience and the pictures I've seen of others wearing the 55s, they seem to be a cut that fits everyone pretty damn well. Can't recall seeing a bad pair in fit or fade.

maybe because th '47s are slimmer (ok depends on how you size) and have a real leather patch.

who knows