Levi's Vintage Clothing

HArd to say without seeing the original quote. What they're doing is a mix but in general they seem to be moving to a more authentic reproto me, leaving internal seams unhemmed on early models & I noticed on, for instance, some recent NEvada reissues they've switched to very authetnci denm pocket bags, a big improvement, and recently the 60s arcuate shape seems more accurate and less exaggerated... elsewhere, though, I belueve they've swtiched to polycotton thread throughout because they think it looks identical but is more stable and reliable. Someone at Levi's, not concerned with LVC, told me that some people at the archives had complained because over the last couple of years LVC is, if fucked around with, harder to distinguish from vintage. I don't think he's suggesting they are going to compromise more, I would guess he's simply syaing that vintage repros will always be a compromise.

I dunno where it's all heading for definite. I'll be checking the rivets and cinches on the new items very carefully...

Seems to me if you reproduce an approximate copy you'll get niche disinterest and criticism, quite rightly, and no mainstream market.

If you reproduce a 95% copy (and this is the minimum standard for *trying your best*) you get niche adulation and excess demand even at premium price. Plus the viral brand marketing.

Seems to me they don't really know where they're going.

Made and Crafted is modern designs, but with details and cues taken from vintage items. I will be reporting on them next week, but the story is so detailed i need to find some spare time.

I don't think Maurizio is watering-down the authentic element of LVC, from what I've seen it's the opposite. But they're introducing a lot more 'customised' items - those cut-off Lot 66 would seem the perfect example. I've said before I'm optimistic, but obviously we have to see what we get.

On a purely product-based view, LVC seems as strong as ever, if not more so. This last line is completely consistent with LVC's design for the last decade, and some of the pieces are real standouts, like the two jeans Paul posted recently and the shawl-collar coat.

One quibble I have is that they are blurring the line between the authentic repros and the dreamagined ones. The new hunting jacket they have out is not a repro, but a new design, but all of the retailers I've seen who carry it have it (and a few other sub-line pieces) lumped in with the rest of the LVC stuff.

I went to the new Levi's store in the Meatpacking District of NYC today. They have a limited selection of LVC in among quite a bit of other merchandise. I focused on the LVC so I can't tell you much about the rest. They had raw versions of 1890, 1915, 1933, 1944, 1947, 1954z, 1955, and 1966 (no 1937 for some reason). In addition, the Type I jacket, a Sunset chambray shirt with a chinstrap and two asymmetrical pockets similar to last season's, the sawtooth denim shirt, and some plain t-shirts. That what I remember at least. There were no washed or distressed versions of anything that I saw.

I was introduced to the staff "historian" named Robert who was very knowledgeable about LVC going back to the Valencia Street days. He knew about the 555 one button duck jacket for instance and discussed the accuracy of the details through the years. He was also knowledgeable about Lee Japan repros. I was impressed.

I hope they stock a broader range, though.

my 44s are a size 36, as are my 66s. the 66s should come just about

1" larger in the waist than tagged size, and if my recollection is correct, shrink down about 2-2.25" after a couple hot soaks. i also allowed mine to agitate in the machine after the second soak so as to shrink down the top block a little -- which on the 66s is reasonably full. the denim is really great and quite stiff, even after that second soak/wash, which isn't always the case with LVC stuff.

i used hot-ass water as well -- the first soak was in water from the hot setting on my machine, and supplemented with some i boiled on the stove. i'm really liking the fit now after a little wear. i've been wearing my wh 800s a lot recently, but feel like i should incorporate the 66s more.

I went to Levi's Vault exhibit today with Mike Harris, who is in town for a book signing at Unionmade tomorrow afternoon. He brought some waistbands and jeans remnants to show to some of the Levi's staff. With Mike below is Una Murphy, who worked for LVC before it moved to Europe, and now runs some of Levi's other lines.

5149619137_4ac438c7c7_o.jpg

5150228198_52f631cb54_o.jpg

5149619267_652fba1d37_o.jpg

5149619313_a43bd2b349_o.jpg

5149619403_761f45fb77_b.jpg

5150228426_9cd37f798f_o.jpg

5150228484_047c087955_o.jpg

5149619587_351487b163_o.jpg

Is harris wearing full Warehouse. What kinda jacket is that?

^the little levi's were a early '40s salesman's sample, about 10" (25cm) tall, I think. Should have read the labels more carefully. There was a '60/'70s one as well, with an orange tab.

Sansome's pants are Warehouse, sort of look like a 1901 model, and have a really amazing wash. I though he was wearing something he found at first. The jacket's the same one he was wearing in his Japan pictures, didn't catch if it was Warehouse.