Levi's Vintage Clothing

probably something obvious but does anyone know what is the inseam of the sz 32 "L" on jingo's website? thanks in advance...

oh, and Mader_Lake - great post!

Jingo has 32 inseams as "regular" and 34 as "long", but that's going by tagged size, so might not be accurate.

gave the 37s a hot soak, hung them to dry for a while and now they are being worn damp (didn't want to lose too much in the waist)

54cfut.jpg

jg3wok.jpg

as you can see it slimmed down the leg a fair bit, and I did lose a little length (maybe an inch and a half or 2) much happier with the fit now, wasn't really going for the super loose miner style fit, wanted a more modern/vintage fit a bit fuller than my 47's but not sloppy

gave the 37s a hot soak, hung them to dry for a while and now they are being worn damp (didn't want to lose too much in the waist)

54cfut.jpg

jg3wok.jpg

as you can see it slimmed down the leg a fair bit, and I did lose a little length (maybe an inch and a half or 2) much happier with the fit now, wasn't really going for the super loose miner style fit, wanted a more modern/vintage fit a bit fuller than my 47's but not sloppy

I want a pair that fit like that now.

Hi there --- here are some 501's that are between 15 and 25 years old. There is not much indigo left in them, but they are still pretty fine. I don't know that there was much difference between this model and the 1966 rev.

L1010768a.jpg

L1010769a.jpg

I run a blog dedicated to vintage denim collecting and levis particularly, may interest some of you

http://bluegoldblues.tumblr.com/

Blog looks interesting, thanks!

L1010767a.jpg

I should have said, btw, of my posted jeans here and just above, that these were the last Levi's that I wore down from raw. After this I gave up in disgust at Levi's and that was why I made these last as long as I did.

I run a blog dedicated to vintage denim collecting and levis particularly, may interest some of you

http://bluegoldblues.tumblr.com/

Spooky that you came across those 302 so recently... wonder if there's a bunch of them?

bummain.jpg

I'm pretty certain I've posted these on this thread. Incidentally, someone at Levi's speculated today that the scrawled codes might mean they were seconds.

WHere did the navy dungarees come from? Havwn't looked too closelyt, but I reckon those are denim, 2x1, the classic fabric for navy pants,

701 ae Lady Levi's.

Youths jeans numbering is confusing: 502 was initially the code for youths' jeans, but later became a zipper fly pant. 302 was initiallt code for a gents' suot (?) and I don't have record to show when they becmae kids' jeans. THese 302 were discovered and posted by RObbie on the nippers thread - I swapped them for a pair of Lee selvage riders and they are being road-tested as we speak.

curtislevis1a.jpg

Good luck with the dungarees sale, they look great. HAve to hold out on buying, altho I'm tempted, given those are t jr's size...

It's been a fantastic time for fans of really old jeans, with Mike Harris's discoveries of early Levi's history, plus repros of chouce items like the Elfelt pants. Now here's another one whcih I think ranks up with them.

Levi's files are notoriously incomplete, thanks to the fire that followed the 1906 earthquake. But some time ago they discovered paperwork for a pair of pantaloons with reinforced crotch and knees, in a design a little like a cross between the 501 and the Spring Bottom pants. I heard rumours some time ago there would be a repro. Yesterday I looked in at the LVC dealer showroom and saw the production version. It's a thing of beauty.

p1080621f.jpg

p1080622.jpg

AS you can see, the front pockets are slanted and curved, in that lovely spring bottom, BOTR, Edwardian style.

p1080617.jpg

p1080620b.jpg

But there's a single back pocket

p1080615y.jpg

Correct rivets! And the early, widely spaced top pocket hem

p1080616l.jpg

it has that lovely, moustache-shaped, Edwardian back we've seen on the spring bottom, here found with a slightly more jeans-like waist band and simpler cinch. Like the Spring Bottoms, these are slightly more formal than conventional jeans - hence there's no yoke.

p1080619h.jpg

WHile the crotch, and knees are reinforced. It looks like calico, I forgot to ask.

One thing I especially noted is how brown the fill yarn is - almost looks ecru, seems that they found some especially brown cotton. This always gives a more period look once the pants wear in.

p1080618e.jpg

Sorry for the mediiocre photos, I should have taken detailed photos of the cinch and knee construction, but was getting pressed for time.

I confess a weakness for this style of jeans, because it's different from the typical 55 repro we see worldwide; along with the closed top jumper, I think this signals a new resurgence in LVC.

Not all of these products will sell in huge numbers, given they're so esoteric, but they clearly show their intentions are serious. The fabrics I've seen look great too, it seems Cone have been improving it with each new batch. The detailing on these is maybe the best ive seen on LVC repros of early jeans.

These 1878 pantaloons will retail for the same price as the existing dry pants - and if you look at the competition, I reckon they're damn well worth it.

No suspender buttons either. The Spring Bottom were similarly yoke-less, with a more curvy, complex cinch design, but those pants, and these, really evoke for me the spirit of Jacob Davis.

The cut, incidentally, looks very workable, pretty tapered, rather like the 1890. I would think there has been some scholarly reconstruction here, as the details on the paperwork are limited - I would guess these are very tricky items to make, as it's difficult to edge (ie fold the fabric) around curves, and then there's that beautiful, very short stitch length, which takes much longer to sew.

you thought you were out, and they pull ya back in!

Yup, I think they're spring 11.

I'm not a fan of washes in general but there's a real customer demand for them (in fact, they make sense on the real hard-to-fade early versions that you're not going to wear day in, day out) and apparently they're selling very well. I saw some great ones, including the sackcoat and the Lot 66 cut-off bib overalls, which have a real navy vibe, and are another personal fave, I will post photos later.

I learned more about some of those 'one wash' finishes. They're impregnated with resin, which tends to make the indigo come out in clumps, for those fans of Japanese jeans who expect some genuine blue-collar sweat'n'toil wear in an afternoon spent sipping frappucinos.

No duck that I know of.

I did hear from Cone that they've done more work on the early luxury denims - red or gold fill yarn, the latter of which was used on the original Spring Bottoms. WOuld love to see some of those although, again, they're esoteric items. In any case, we've seen more genuinely new (ok, old) models in the last 12 months than in the last three or four, so I'm optimistic.

I highly recommend the '15s. If you can deal without belt loops, they're as good as you can get.

Thanks Shorty. Belt loops aren't an issue as I wouldn't wear a belt with a cinch pair. Do you know the difference between the 1915s and the 1917s?

1915 has much nicer fabric, from Cone rather than Kurabo, which fades in a really 3-d way. I know Dr Heech had some reservations about details (wiastband stitching?) but they are indisputably one of the gems in the range. Besides, attacking rivets with a hammer is a great way of bonding with yer pants.