Acronym.

Westbrook

6 hours ago, xc-mtb said:

Anybody know if they could be ready for prescription lens?

I don't see why they wouldn't be.  They'll just take the original lens off and make a prescription one that fits the frame.  The issue would be the tint. 

I can't tell if I like the glasses or the photography. Either way, I don't think I would _ever_ buy eyewear that I can't try on.

I'm disappointed the case is not 3a. Perhaps not useful for attaching to bags but certainly useful for some of the jackets and trousers. I'm impressed the eyewear is fully under the Acronym brand and not a colab like with 3a and bag jack. I could be mistaken. 

Big ups to Ian for accomplishing both the shot and the music. I wish we got a longer video!

6 minutes ago, Flipflop214 said:

I don't see why they wouldn't be.  They'll just take the original lens off and make a prescription one that fits the frame.  The issue would be the tint. 

In my use case I’m less concerned about the tint and more my prescription being a good fit for the style of frames in terms of how the frames fit and feel as my prescription is stronger and leads to slightly heavier lenses.

All that being said, I may throw these things on and immediately hate the way they look on my own face. ACR needs to invest in that Warby Parker tech. 

17 minutes ago, hooper said:

I can't tell if I like the glasses or the photography. Either way, I don't think I would _ever_ buy eyewear that I can't try on.

I'm disappointed the case is not 3a. Perhaps not useful for attaching to bags but certainly useful for some of the jackets and trousers. I'm impressed the eyewear is fully under the Acronym brand and not a colab like with 3a and bag jack. I could be mistaken. 

Big ups to Ian for accomplishing both the shot and the music. I wish we got a longer video!

They're probably working with an outside eyeglasses manufacturer (just like with bagjack). Frames are MIJ

Got charged about $50 USD in UPS charges.  $36 for brokerage fees, I'm assuming to clear through the FDA/Department of Ag, and then another $14 I assume in duties.  I am guessing it is 2% under 9004.10.00 for sunglasses, but reached out to confirm.  Will update when/if I get a response.

Edited by thatslapz

17 hours ago, thatslapz said:

Got charged about $50 USD in UPS charges.  $36 for brokerage fees, I'm assuming to clear through the FDA/Department of Ag, and then another $14 I assume in duties.  I am guessing it is 2% under 9004.10.00 for sunglasses, but reached out to confirm.  Will update when/if I get a response.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought the US had an $800 duty free allowance for products from Europe coming into the states? 

I haven’t received any extra charges yet from UPS and It’s shipping to Washington state. If that changes, I’ll definitely update this post. 

1 hour ago, analog29 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought the US had an $800 duty free allowance for products from Europe coming into the states? 

I haven’t received any extra charges yet from UPS and It’s shipping to Washington state. If that changes, I’ll definitely update this post. 

I got confirmation it was 2% with 9004.10.0000, and that there is a flat fee to clear with the FDA regardless if the glasses are prescription or not.  I was also under the impression there was a $800 duty free allowance, but apparently not for glasses/sunglasses?  It was only about $14 so it isn't that bad.

I just wanted to give a brief field report from my last 4 weeks using a few of my acronym stuff during my vacation in Australia and New Zealand.

P10A-E: I was wearing the pants every evening in Australia and they are super comfy and I really like the pockets where I could store all stuff which I need to go out and be more lightweight! I am a fan of the pants and I think they are great for the upcoming summer here in Munich as well! Light wind and some minor rain weren't a problem at all.

J76GT + J74-PX + P10-DS (SS16): this was my hiking set-up in new zealand and it was so good. Specially the combination of the jackets with a merino shirt for the hikes which kept me super warm, the rain outside (the hood of the J76GT is awesome) and especially the J74 was easy to store in the bag pack as well. The DS pants are really great for hiking in not so warm climate zones. On really cold days you could combine the pants with a icebreaker or other proper legging and you are good to go.

P24A-DS (FW16): I used the pants for the flights and everyday use. I love them for travelling. I think in general the DS are really good for travelling and everyday use in different climate zones or fast changing weather areas. As well all my DS Pants are still in great condition, even I used them quite heavily in the last 2+ years.

Only lowlight was that I poured over my white J76 some tumeric, ginger juice:(. Lets hope that with the washing recommendation a few weeks ago I am able to clean the jacket properly. Damn healthy life style:D.

If someone interested I can make in the next days also a few pics.

On 5/6/2019 at 12:17 PM, brainerd666 said:

That’s what I’m gonna find out when mine show up. If not I’ll most likely either pass them along at cost or send back. I’ve been putting off getting a pair of frames for awhile and was right on the edge of ordering some mykitas when these popped up. The cost is similar as well as the materials. Not sure about build quality but I’d be highly surprised if the ACR specs aren’t in the same league. 

I’ve been happy with the Mykitas I bought last summer, both regular glasses and prescription sunglasses. 

Edited by drgitlin

I cannot find anyone to glaze my Mykita Tequila, even got them sent to japan and they could not do it - really annoyed given that I have a pair of £500 glasses of no use to me now as they are sunglasses only and I need to see to drive and read!

That'll teach me to take a punt.

-feel I should have put this in a different thread really- sorry

18 hours ago, ArmandGLA said:

@Holger Nice write up, I love both my J74s! Any photos from the trip?

I have to check with the others if there any photos with me and the acrnm jackets, but I will make photos next week from few of the items and post them here.

On 5/9/2019 at 8:05 AM, TEKsevenZERO said:

I cannot find anyone to glaze my Mykita Tequila, even got them sent to japan and they could not do it - really annoyed given that I have a pair of £500 glasses of no use to me now as they are sunglasses only and I need to see to drive and read!

That'll teach me to take a punt.

-feel I should have put this in a different thread really- sorry

It’s why I will only buy glasses from opticians. Also the fact that I can use an HSA to pay for them, but it’s no good having frames if I can’t have lenses that let me actually see. 

Hope you find a solution. Have you tried reaching out to Mykita in Berlin?

2 hours ago, drgitlin said:

It’s why I will only buy glasses from opticians. Also the fact that I can use an HSA to pay for them, but it’s no good having frames if I can’t have lenses that let me actually see. 

Hope you find a solution. Have you tried reaching out to Mykita in Berlin?

I did, but they were as much use as tits on a fish frankly! - or at least the person in their cust service.

i’m thinking of going down the bespoke route eventually so will make do with the other 5 pairs of specs bought in the last year! 

Might also nip over to Berlin one long weekend and see the folk faceto face, always better than over the phone.

@meccaNIZM I agree with the majority of your assessment.

They do feel very front heavy, and I think they would’ve benefited more from wearing directly on the nose bridge as opposed to the pads. That would’ve meant a little redesign I think, but to go with such a heavy forward leaning frame and such light temples- the nose pads just don’t feel that great to me. It feels like they’re balancing as opposed to resting on the bridge of my nose. That’s probably partially due to the dimensions of my skull overall to a degree I’m sure, but more so the design. Even having traditional temples would help with this. I grew up wearing eyeglasses from a very young age and have owned quite a few pairs of higher end shades if that gives any clarity.  

On a completely other note- the styling is just a bit too exaggerated for my taste in the all black frames I purchased. It’s nerd-core on steroids. I’m sure some can and will pull it off but it just doesn’t suit my facial structure. I have a strong/heavy brow, dark/sunken eyes, dark/coarse hair and they just add too much weight overall. I’ve worn strong blocky frames before, but these just feel too much with the frame weight and the lenses size.   

The clip ons feel well made, but a bit fiddly and I can see it being a bit easy to scratch the frames with repeated use simply by handling the frames while donning and doffing. They actually almost slipped off the frames while I was putting them back in the protective plastic wrap. And yes- there is a noticeable gap while wearing if a strongish light source hits them at an angle.  

I can say with a good amount of surety that this is my least favorite ACR item that I’ve had the opportunity to handle up close. Nothing feels very Acronym about it to me. There’s no hidden awesomeness, no new take on an old norm, no subtle functionality, no tiny detail that is commonly overlooked, no build quality that feels like it’s been considered and tested. I’ve owned other ACR pieces that didn’t work for my personal aesthetics, but I’ve ALWAYS appreciated the overall design and form/function.  

These are literally just another pair of expensive sunglasses. 

YMMV?

Edited by brainerd666
Too many words. Too many beers. You do the math.

On 5/10/2019 at 11:23 AM, Yardsale said:

Those that got the j1a 2.2 in a XS, what’s your height and weight? I feel like I could fit except I’m too tall.

I am 5'7" and 130 lbs and it fits pretty snug. The length is just right but can't really do much layering underneath it

14 hours ago, brainerd666 said:

@meccaNIZM I agree with the majority of your assessment.

They do feel very front heavy, and I think they would’ve benefited more from wearing directly on the nose bridge as opposed to the pads. That would’ve meant a little redesign I think, but to go with such a heavy forward leaning frame and such light temples- the nose pads just don’t feel that great to me. It feels like they’re balancing as opposed to resting on the bridge of my nose. That’s probably partially due to the dimensions of my skull overall to a degree I’m sure, but more so the design. Even having traditional temples would help with this. I grew up wearing eyeglasses from a very young age and have owned quite a few pairs of higher end shades if that gives any clarity.  

On a completely other note- the styling is just a bit too exaggerated for my taste in the all black frames I purchased. It’s nerd-core on steroids. I’m sure some can and will pull it off but it just doesn’t suit my facial structure. I have a strong/heavy brow, dark/sunken eyes, dark/coarse hair and they just add too much weight overall. I’ve worn strong blocky frames before, but these just feel too much with the frame weight and the lenses size.   

The clip ons feel well made, but a bit fiddly and I can see it being a bit easy to scratch the frames with repeated use simply by handling the frames while donning and doffing. They actually almost slipped off the frames while I was putting them back in the protective plastic wrap. And yes- there is a noticeable gap while wearing if a strongish light source hits them at an angle.  

I can say with a good amount of surety that this is my least favorite ACR item that I’ve had the opportunity to handle up close. Nothing feels very Acronym about it to me. There’s no hidden awesomeness, no new take on an old norm, no subtle functionality, no tiny detail that is commonly overlooked, no build quality that feels like it’s been considered and tested. I’ve owned other ACR pieces that didn’t work for my personal aesthetics, but I’ve ALWAYS appreciated the overall design and form/function.  

These are literally just another pair of expensive sunglasses. 

YMMV?

I feel the same way. These eyeglasses are too heavy and with the slippery nose pads, they will continually slide down your face; if it's warm and you are sweating, it will be worse.

I wear eyeglasses so I was thinking that I would replace the lenses of the Acronym glasses with corrective ones. I have done this with frames from Ray-Ban, Hugo Boss and TAG. That doesn't appear to be possible with these. Build quality is only fair compared to other companies.

Edited by roofus
spelling

On 5/6/2019 at 5:46 AM, lopiteaux said:

The glasses aren't terrible, but I'm not swayed either.

I like the naked look of the C, and the clipped look of the A. They do however look like you need to stand absolutely still in the back of the club with your head titled upward in order for them to stay in place.

The standout piece is clearly the plush little case... drizzle me timbers...

f1f5e7df3f.jpg

They are definitely for posing not for Wearing and using!

On 5/6/2019 at 12:17 PM, brainerd666 said:

That’s what I’m gonna find out when mine show up. If not I’ll most likely either pass them along at cost or send back. I’ve been putting off getting a pair of frames for awhile and was right on the edge of ordering some mykitas when these popped up. The cost is similar as well as the materials. Not sure about build quality but I’d be highly surprised if the ACR specs aren’t in the same league. 

I am pretty sure you can't swap out the installed lenses for prescription ones. The existing lenses seem to be completely sealed in.