Acronym.

Westbrook

11 hours ago, jeddyhsu said:

Before April Fool's day comes to an end, I just have to say... wtf is this?

Hey I made this video. If you watched it I am just discussing the whole ordeal of the J1A-GT being made in China because it was interesting to me to see how people felt. I do not really slander or even think the move was a bad idea, as I discuss in the video. 

2 hours ago, unmen said:

I don't get it: it is all about USA-China game of thrones? That crazy fee for any kind of stuff from CN to private person via Post or any kind of product made in CN and selling in conus?

It's Canada/EU thing, there is a trade agreement that goods made in those countries ship customs free. The customs limit in EU is ridiculous 

4 hours ago, cornerska said:

@moneytalks Please consider the context.

encapsulated_nylon.jpg.26f7c141659e53ba26b3dd719c8ac4b7.jpg

yes, the context being epic cotton is "encapsulated nylon"

It's to make the jacket easier to take off while seated in your car.

I think it is also known or referred to as a 'gimmick'.

- you need to stay in a clinic where they issue jackets designed for you to not escape from! 

10 minutes ago, greencarman said:

I normally plan ahead and remove before getting in lol

With this you are Not moving in accordance to common behaviour. Even leading politicians worldwide try to avoid this. 

Think twice act once with sense is outdated. Thinking before posting is overrated 

7 hours ago, moneytalks said:

Nope, it is Epic
https://www.textileworld.com/textile-world/quality-fabric-of-the-month/2001/08/inside-protection/
and nope, it doesn't "crazy-pill" like everyone is saying

Yeah, Epic doesn't pill. The encapsulation wears off pretty fast when you wash it, and it doesn't stand up well to heavy wear but that's more a problem with trousers than jackets. 

The DS fabric is the one that pills. And these new P10s say they're made from nylon so they're not Epic. 

32 minutes ago, greencarman said:

J41

How are you ment to put this on? and zip up?

is it just me but pointless design

I never had to escape from a jacket before

You pull the zip up the back like a wetsuit. I tried one on the last time the J41 appeared, and within about two minutes was sweating my face off, too. It's definitely not one of the better jackets Acronym have made, IMO. 

Edited by drgitlin

1 minute ago, Cornuto said:

It's because it's a wetsuit/jacket hybrid!

Back zips actually make sense in a real wetsuit. Easier to get over your shoulders, less cold water flush on your chest, you don't lay on the zip if you are on a board...

Yes, they do. Makes much less sense in a jacket, particularly if you're going to carry a bag that might sit on the zip.

Just received my shipping notice for the J36-S; got it in black, and I’m excited.

It might be time for someone to repost the classic US import post that gets trotted out every season...

But I’m wondering what the experience has been for people in Canada when it comes to recent imports. What’s am I going to end up paying?

On 9/19/2017 at 10:56 AM, Voyager said:

D17-US
Duty Guide for the United States
Type UPS   Gen. 1.1   Style  Text

Updated for FW17, this guide corrects a ton of incorrect information I put in last season's guide. This should be more accurate and comprehensive.
HTS Codes supplied by the great @CARLOOA. Many thanks, my friend!

If you're ordering anything that has a value over $800 USD, you will need to pay duties before UPS will deliver it to you. That means if you order two items in one shipment that each value $500 USD, you will need to pay duties since the total value of what's in that box is over $800. If you separate those two items into two shipments, you won't need to pay duties. Sometimes separate shipping costs can be much less than duties. Think before you order!

Acronym mothership ships UPS and they use very generic HTS codes so duties end up being very expensive. If you call UPS and notify them that the shipper is using very generic codes and that you have a more specific code, most of the time you will be able to lower the cost of your duties.

The person you call at UPS depends on the last name of the Importer (you).
Here's a list of the people at UPS you should call once you have a tracking number and the tracking indicates that duties are going to need to be paid.
If your name begins with A thru J, call
Tina Griffin
502-485-2788
or her backup (didn't get the name)
502-485-2064

If your name begins with K-STL
Jacoby Grant
803-502-6885
Or Linda
803-502-6844

If your name begins with STM-Z
Call the Dallas office
972-304-6978

Give them your tracking number and tell them that the shipper has specified a very generic HTS code for the product they shipped to you. As a result, the duties are artificially high. Tell them you have a more specific HTS code that more accurately describes what's in the box.

For Goretex or Windstopper jackets (J16-GT, J28-GT, J61-GT, J58-WS, J65-WS)
Stotz (cotton) jackets (J56-S, J62-S, J64TS-S)

Stotz (cotton) Pants (P23-S, P26-S)
Schoeller Dryskin pants (P23A-DS, P25H-DS)

These codes should drop the cost of duties significantly. Once you get your duties lowered, you can call UPS bill pay at 803-502-2525 to pay them.
Good Luck

If you saved $ and would like to tip us :) .

CARLOOA - 14whfHMopK1rupE9UM5NEoYndTtH8JXsp9

Me - 1FCywy3DRmbPREEWegkJH3djkxw3X4quPx

For those who need the codes. I've also added some quotes I've found after this post if that helps with other pieces.

"I was able to use 6201.93.47 for the S21-DS and duties dropped from around $290 to around $70." - Voyager

"You could try just 6203.42.0000 or 6203.42.0300. I'm just guessing here. @CARLOOA may need to chime in with his expertise. (referencing p23-s)" - Voyager

Also, not sure if it's outdated yet but the codes are from here - https://outdoorindustry.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/RPO-Paper-8.22.161.pdf

Edited by SNg

just a reminder in the whole EPIC discussion:

the code does not stand for fabric or manufacturer but a fabric technology

EPIC® by Nextec’s patented encapsulation technology places a silicone barrier “inside” the fabric, not just on the surface like the older conventional methods of laminating/coating. This silicone barrier drastically decreases a fabric’s absorption; while increasing its weather resistance and aerobic breathability performance.

according to nextec website, so the EPIC technology can be applied to both cotton (E-J21) and nylon (P10A-E)

2 hours ago, junkie_dolphin said:

Just received my shipping notice for the J36-S; got it in black, and I’m excited.

It might be time for someone to repost the classic US import post that gets trotted out every season...

But I’m wondering what the experience has been for people in Canada when it comes to recent imports. What’s am I going to end up paying?

For Canadians, there should be no extra taxes fees to pay upon delivery for MIE items. If It's MIC, you'll pay _a lot_ extra. A few hundred at least...

2 hours ago, junkie_dolphin said:

Nothing other than the HST and UPS's brokerage fees ($10 usually)... unless the garments been produced anywhere other than the EU, then i think you're looking at around an additional 15%ish. The only example i have is of someone else getting their J1A last month and paying ~$600. The taxes would have been about $300, so the remaining costs are the tariffs.

3 minutes ago, ArmandGLA said:

Whys that

The J36-S is priced around the same as the MIC 2.2 J1A-GT, normally GT jackets are priced higher substantially over Stotz assuming both jackets are made in EU. If both these jackets were MIC, the price of the J36-S wouldn't be anywhere close to the price of the 2.2 J1A-GT. This is just my assumption as I cannot confirm if the J36 is MIC or not

3 hours ago, deathrazr said:

The J36-S is priced around the same as the MIC 2.2 J1A-GT, normally GT jackets are priced higher substantially over Stotz assuming both jackets are made in EU. If both these jackets were MIC, the price of the J36-S wouldn't be anywhere close to the price of the 2.2 J1A-GT. This is just my assumption as I cannot confirm if the J36 is MIC or not

Says in the description that the J36 is made in Switzerland. 

For those that ordered the p10A-E from US, I assume this is the code you will use to lower customs? 

Edited by rmc

Digging through the archives, and wondering if anyone can clear something up for me.

Old copy for the J36-GT lists the number of pockets as 9, including a mezzanine and internal pocket. The current version has only 5. Was the original copy wrong? Where were the other pockets? I mean, even if we allow for an internal pocket of some kind, and guess that the mezzanine pocket was behind the map pocket, there's still 2 pockets unaccounted for...

Also interesting that there was a version of the J36-GT that had only one gravity pocket...

4 hours ago, rmc said:

For those that ordered the p10A-E from US, I assume this is the code you will use to lower customs? 

Considering the P10A-E isn’t cotton, you might have a tough time with that.

I’m going to try 6203.43.03.00 or 6203.43.11.90 (synthetic fibers, RPO and water resistant) based on some cursory glances at the HTS.