Levi's Vintage Clothing

If anyone's interested, I have some 503bsxx , that I bought deadstock a year ago. I put them up on eBay. 231633248351

These are made in japan , natural indigo , super jeans that sold for 48000 yen in 1991. They're too small for me , just worn around the house for a couple of hours, and soaked and air dried, comes with a cool box

Size 34

• 2 weeks later...

Ed, you're right nothing's there on first click, but with the search function it looks like there's some LVC 1920s 201s for like $100

http://www.myhabit.com/#page=d&dept=men&asin=B00XJ9997Y&cAsin=B00XJ99PNW&qid=aps-0N3HYDE3KJV7BFV225BP-1439108569818&sindex=62&discovery=search&ref=qd_men_sr_2_14

Looks like a nice loose and wide fit. Right up your alley, only it's a rinse, not raw. 

Edited by Coolguyzack

• 2 weeks later...

I posted earlier about a denimshirt my girlfriend picked up at a thrift shop some 20 years ago. It's, among other things, a white tab Big E shirt, made in GB and I have a hard time figuring out if its even genuine or fake. Paul T said he needed pic's and now I hope I have read the "post pic-manual for idiots" correctly(though I doubt it) and can post pic´s. Does anyone know anything about this shirt?

287glqv.jpg

24gq935.jpg

wgudlt.jpg

21ex6qe.jpg

Best regard

Yes Max, I'm kind of curious about that myself. If she found it in a thrift shop today I would probably think it's fake. But 20 years ago? Did they bother to copy Levis back then? Perhaps they did...

The whole thing is kind of strange, made in Great Britain, white Big E-tab and small E on the inside.

I'm hoping the great Paul T will settle this :)

It's a curiosity but I doubt it's a fake. Levi's used to have a Scotland plant in Whitburn, so it will have been sewn there. I know they didn't start making 501 there until around 1981, but I have read they made other items as early as 1969. The Big E tag might mean it was made circa 1970, but it could be later, as they might simply have been using up the white tags

I'm hoping to post with a new LVC addition once the weather gets cold here, just so this thread doesn't feel too abandoned.

Would like to hear from an expert, wether the inside tab with the small e and th big E tab were used at the same time.

yes, that's quite common. They redesigned the company branding around 1969 before it spread out to the clothing tabs around 1971. So that would put this shirt at bang on 1970.

Edited by Paul T

It's a curiosity but I doubt it's a fake. Levi's used to have a Scotland plant in Whitburn, so it will have been sewn there. I know they didn't start making 501 there until around 1981, but I have read they made other items as early as 1969. The Big E tag might mean it was made circa 1970, but it could be later, as they might simply have been using up the white tags

I'm hoping to post with a new LVC addition once the weather gets cold here, just so this thread doesn't feel too abandoned.

yes, that's quite common. They redesigned the company branding around 1969 before it spread out to the clothing tabs around 1971. So that would put this shirt at bang on 1970.

Thank you very much mr Paul T!

Thought I'd share some of my LVC collection.

My oldest pair (bought 2004) are these 1933s. I had these when I was a student and thought it'd be great to wear them when I worked in a scrutty nightclub (called Stinky's Peephouse - great name!), needless to say they just ended up getting filthy and covered in beer most of the time so ended up being washed far too often. As such they've got absolutely zilch whiskers & combs but they are a real nice washed out royal blue colour. Great for holiday jeans now. Final pic is most accurate for true colour.

FOqdfDMl.jpg?1

7jtktZMl.jpg

lYQUUXpl.jpg?1

1947s bought in 2007

8E55GHll.jpg

AZoV6zbl.jpg?1

1967 505. Again from 07.

4f2GETHl.jpg?1

D2smjASl.jpg?1

And one of my favourite items from LVC. A 1911 open front jumper bought in 08.

4yvm7h0l.jpg

o5m86NMl.jpg

Edit: quality of jeans pics is rubbish - apologies, phone camera.

Edited by unders

Finally a 1901 sack coat (lot 214) from 1999 (released with Visionaire mag hence the red label on the chest pocket). Unworn as it's not the most flattering fit - sack is an apt description! Denim is darker than the pics - second pic is closer.

E3CM72Dl.jpg

aPxvc2Pl.jpg

no LVC love at all?

here's my 501xx 1933 from i think 2010. they have had 8-9 months of wear and 4-5 washes. can't remember exactly. the whisker wore through and ripped on one side. gonna get them fixed soon. 

LVC%20501xx%201933-1_zpshpbfdjbw.jpg

LVC%20501xx%201933-2_zpskgobb0qu.jpg

LVC%20501xx%201933-4_zpsj89zrrtf.jpg

Didn't pay the right attention to this pair. It actually loks a lot like the old faded examples in the LVC book - the colour is fantastic. If LVC still does produce pairs like that, they are  underestimated (at least in my book).

They don't fade fast but there's plenty of models that will do that for you. What they have is a great fit with a royal blue colour that you just cant match. The denim texture is fantastic on my pair too, light denim but vertical lines give it a great feel.

that is what i was asking on another thread, denim blunder and etc., as to why people hate on LVC. i get it, the answers were reasonable and most people were just disappointed rather than anything with the direction the brand seems to be heading in the recent years. I still think they produce some good quality stuff. not in the same league with our most exalted japanese or some american/european brands but above average still. even my 47 fades really well and held up as well as my other japanese/american jeans. i don't know about their other garments (jacket, belt, ts, etc) but the jeans, on discount, are good buys, and Cone's STF denims for LVC are still second to none in my book. 

I'm happy with mine and I own a number of pairs (15/37/44/55). The denim is generally lighter in weight and more uniform than many Japanese denims, without some of the slubs, neps, etc that many of the latter variants have. Some people probably assume (and I don't know whether this is right or wrong) that the Cone denim is cheap, as well as boring and insubstantial.

In addition, the hardware is modest and the patches quite thin. To this effect, I think people assume that they are made inexpensively and marked up hugely (unless bought at a discount). They seem to lack the Wow! factor of many Japanese brands.

MF, interesting point about hardware & patches. Here are some patches from a couple of 1947 501s. Top is 1999 & bottom is 2006.

The older patch is much more akin to what we'd expect from a premium Japanese offering. Not sure if the photo does it justice but the leather has a nice grainy texture to it and the text and images are embossed into the leather. The 2006 patch is visibly inferior leather and the detail is printed on. 

I think it's just unfortunately an example of inferior quality slipping in post Valencia Street. Incidentally the 2006 pair cost me £40 so I can deal with a printed patch for that kind of price! It just circles back to the argument that RRP is a bit too rich for LVC.

IXetk6yl.jpg

jLBKHMFl.jpg

Agree with comments around the 33s. The National Recovery Act Label and wonky arcuates make them a winner in my book. I'll no doubt get some more one day and wear them properly next time round.

Good point unders, have you had that Valencia St pair since 1999 or did you buy them more recently? I bought a pair of 555 44s (from 1999) a few years back and they feel more substantial than some of my more recent 55s (from 2007 and 2009).