Levi's Vintage Clothing

I think that's correct, I believe they're the same Kaihara fabric.

it appears that there are several versions of the Type III jacket in Rigid. LVC's website has little detailed info, but it appears the older version is in the Kajhara denim and the newer version is in Cone denim.

Can anyone comment on how different they are?

• 2 weeks later...

Where are you based? It seems a Levi's/LVC store may be your best bet.

I'm in Boston. Believe it or not, neither our store nor NYC has this size. I know for fact it gets made, just apparently hard to find. Hopefully cultizm will restock soon. 

I read somewhere it was 1985?

http://www.gq.com/story/chats-with-kick-ass-menswear-guys-miles-johnson-of-levis-xx

GQ: When did selvage stop being standard?

Johnson: 1985. When using cheaper alternatives, they could make four legs worth from one piece of fabric versus two. The fascination with selvage didn’t start until more recently, you know?

Edited by cool_hand

It was 1985, when production ceased and moved entirely to the wider non-selvage looms, according to "501: The Evolution of the Jean" by Lynn Downey, former Levi's historian. I just looked it up in my copy.

Paul (or anyone else),

Obviously LVC have produced 1978 and 1983 models, with slightly different cuts - are the denims the same?

Also, were there any real differences between the 501s of those 2 periods (only 5 years apart), e.g. did the cut or details change in reality to justify an additional LVC model?

Paul (or anyone else),

Obviously LVC have produced 1978 and 1983 models, with slightly different cuts - are the denims the same?

Also, were there any real differences between the 501s of those 2 periods (only 5 years apart), e.g. did the cut or details change in reality to justify an additional LVC model?

In the difference between the denims, are you referring to back in the day, or with LVC's most recent models?  They haven't made the 1983 in a few years, and I think the denim used in the current 1978 is a new denim made especially for it, so I would guess it's different at least for the two LVC models. 

That denim used in the '78 is IMO some of the best I've seen from LVC.  Too bad they blew the cut.  A friend of mine has a vintage pair to compare measurements to, and the rise on my size 38 LVC '78s is shorter than the rise on his vintage size 34 by nearly an inch IIRC.  

Good question Maynard, I also wonder why they took the year 1978 for a repri, that year wasn´t a year of change for the 501xx, why they didn´t make a 1972 or keeping the 1983 in production.

I have to agree setterman, the 78s denim is really awsome; I think for quite a while now cone denim is trying to compete with japanese denim, if you whatch out for the recent 1915 and 1890 (new denim is used for both) denim, they did a really good job. Now I hope the redevelope the 1947-55s denim aswell.

Good question Maynard, I also wonder why they took the year 1978 for a repri, that year wasn´t a year of change for the 501xx, why they didn´t make a 1972 or keeping the 1983 in production.

I have to agree setterman, the 78s denim is really awsome; I think for quite a while now cone denim is trying to compete with japanese denim, if you whatch out for the recent 1915 and 1890 (new denim is used for both) denim, they did a really good job. Now I hope the redevelope the 1947-55s denim aswell.

What would you want to see different about the 47-55 denim?

@aviv

don´t get me wrong, the denim is not bad at all, but since i have an orignal deadstock pair from late 50s I can tell that only japenese denim could match this old denim. it´s all about the uneveness und slubby touch of an old denim, the current denim may look vintage but doesn´t feel vintage.

@aviv

don´t get me wrong, the denim is not bad at all, but since i have an orignal deadstock pair from late 50s I can tell that only japenese denim could match this old denim. it´s all about the uneveness und slubby touch of an old denim, the current denim may look vintage but doesn´t feel vintage.

I remember you posted the vintage 50's 501xx a while back but would you mind posting again

Disagree on one count - I think the 50s denim is great, as good as TCB for instance. The 47 is underwhelming though.

Started wearing my '47s after them sitting around for four or five years, and couldn't agree more. The denim used in them couldn't be more bland.   

Paul, is there any justifiable reason why LVC should have both a '78 and '83 model? Any real differences between cut/denim/details of original models of those eras?

I thought I replied to say the cut was different? Re the denim, the pairs do look different - both reasonably hairy but the 83 seems to look quite 'striped' new, with the weft showing through a lot. It is nice denim, and actually I think it's the 70s denim, with lots of Texas cotton, that has helped create the Japanese love of hairy denim (even tho 50s fabric is not particularly hairy).

I've not owned either pair though so I don't know the denim properly.