Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

oh man, i thought the e-beef was deliciously funny. Anyways, the denim pics were gloriously droolworthy. and yes, denim bedding (someone mentioned it) would be awesome if it were black seed chambray fabric. One stupid question: these recent pics by Paul T and roy6, are they pics of fabric that's in Mr Slaper's possession? I couldn't understand some of the terminology by PaulT, let alone the insinuation that Mr Slaper's fabric (which may or may not be black seed denim) is "related" to PaulT's fabric. I simply got very confused.

oh man, i thought the e-beef was deliciously funny. Anyways, the denim pics were gloriously droolworthy. and yes, denim bedding (someone mentioned it) would be awesome if it were black seed chambray fabric. I couldn't understand some of the terminology by PaulT, let alone the insinuation that Mr Slaper's fabric (which may or may not be black seed denim) is "related" to PaulT's fabric.

Ask your Qs about the fabric terminology and the answers will be yours, sir.

OK, i will ask some questions.. forgive my ignorance.. but this k87211 denim is obviously labeled "black seed" in one of your pics. Are there many different denims that use the black seed cotton? Is this some new special creation?.. That machine behind the denim in the other pics looks like Roy's belt loop making machine... is there another "roy" that beat the real Roy to this denim??

You also wrote about the indigo color.. what is different in the dyeing process with this denim vs other indigo denim?

well, i looked up those terminology on your denim glossary website - great site btw. but I guess none of u guys will confirm whether Mr Slaper's fabric is also KV 87211 or black seed.... clever clever

As far as I know there are no raw loomstate denims that use black seed, although Cone do supply it in a more processed state to a few makers (Sanforized, maybe?). On this denim it's used on the fill yarn; the warp yarn is a shorter-staple, which is why you get some hairiness.

I will have to check on the number of dips etc on the warp yarn, I would hope to have an indepth interview with the man who'll know, in perhaps 10 days. These photos are of a work in progress... a possibility... a dream.

does "loomstate" simply mean as the fabric is after being made on the loom.. with no further processing/treatment?

Exactly. The most common treatment is singeing; there are other stabilising processes, including skewing (to eliminate legtwist) and other starching or sizeing, which makes the fabric stiffer, easier to cut and work with. For that reason, this fabric probably shrinks more than other similar denims.

And of course, that's hard for a maker - if a fabric shrinks in a different way it means you have to look/revise all your patterns.