Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

I have had a couple of pairs or Roy jeans. Starting with the RS1 and RS2  and ended with the Big Bro 2’s. 
I missed the initial ‘og’ Roy’s with custom chain stitching by about two days, didn’t get in on the RoyXCone pair, and ended up selling those RS1 as they were the wrong size. 
I’ve had a couple of other pairs along the way which went due to being unemployed (for list price or below if worn), so in the end I have the RS2 in Nihon Menpu and the BB1002 in Cone black seed. The details and fit are great. I’d buy more if I had more legs  

I also have the first chambray which is really nice.

I’ve chatted with Roy a few times over the years and always enjoyed his reply’s. 

Hope he makes more jeans in future. 

I've got a pair of the RT1002 and the R01 Indigolovers, as well as the Duck-1s, a Baja Shirt, and the Heavy Shirt. Like others, I'd have bought more items if I had more legs or torsos to fit them onto. 

The patterning is funky, I agree- measurement charts are a great way to get an idea of the fit, but trying the garments on properly lends a concreteness to the ineffability that the fits have. And for that reason, I really dig his products. 

As someone who is certainly neurodivergent, I can see why the comparison would be drawn. At the end of the day, we're all folks doing our best to communicate with others well enough to get by and there will (inevitably) be a level of strangeness to our worldly interactions that's unavoidable! 

I've always enjoyed my conversations with Roy, especially as a feckless youth trying to understand what it's like to have a real drive to do something. He gave me some good advice and I'm grateful for that. 

At the end of the day, his body of work is immense and it's crazy we're all here at the same time as a craftsman like Roy, but he's still just a guy. We've all got our faults. I am sympathetic where communication is concerned. In my experience, I've got nothing but nice things to say, but I can see how one could be 'rubbed the wrong way.' 

Ironically, my formal intro to Roy denim is a direct result of @shredwin_206 's experience with Mr. Slaper. Right now I am the owner of seven pairs. Memorial Jeans, 2 x RT1002, CB-1, Duck-1, BNB1, and the Foreman pants, all in regular rotation.

My first pair of the Memorial Jeans with heavy repairs that might the actual pair that @shredwin_206 referred to. Having them in hand is the light bulb moment for me to start learning to appreciate denim in a whole new way, as opposed to the obsessive need to start every pair with unsanforized, raw, virgin products.

As for his experience with Roy, I think in this day and age everyone struggles to dissociate any misgivings from the artist from the ability to enjoy one's art, and there is no wrong way to react to those misgivings as he see fits.

Edited by knchngchn

In the interest of balance we should take a closer look at the people making the accusations, i would never condone victim blaming but this could be their fault..
@JohnM for instance.. i'm not sure how old this guy is but he sounds like a typical zoomer.. I bet he was making a TikTok or taking selfies while Roy was trying to engage him in friendly repartee, easily triggered by Roy's unwillingness to partake, he's taken to the internet to get him cancelled.

I’m taking to the internet to get him cancelled?  Nope.  I respect Roy and his candor.  I’m old Double O and don’t even know what a zoomer is.  Regarding Tik Tok or selfies, wrong again.  I may explain what came up later, but it’s the middle of the night, I’m tired, and it appears the road to hell can be paved with good intentions here on good ol’ sufu. 

3 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:
In the interest of balance we should take a closer look at the people making the accusations, i would never condone victim blaming but this could be their fault..
@JohnM for instance.. i'm not sure how old this guy is but he sounds like a typical zoomer.. I bet he was making a TikTok or taking selfies while Roy was trying to engage him in friendly repartee, easily triggered by Roy's unwillingness to partake, he's taken to the internet to get him cancelled.

i can't imagine being able to understand the second half of this if i didn't have "young people colleagues"!

OO will be able to provide the pigeon to send your message John... I expect he keeps them or knows someone who does... it's a popular means of communication in South Yorkshire, much preferred to Whatsapp et al :)

Edited by MJF9
To insert light hearted emoji

4 hours ago, JohnM said:

Yes, I’m going to ask my great grandson to unravel these mysteries for me, if I can just find my writing paper, quill, and wax seal. 

Some people here are not even native speakers - as I am. I don't understand most of what's written, but I like the atmosphere. Reminds me of the first Ramones album.

a curious thing i’d not noticed until now- on the inside of the Indigolovers’ pockets, the red of the indigo canvas selvedge has worn off onto the denim’s selvedge somewhat…there is only about two inches of the IC selvedge present due to the pocket shape and, yet, it was thoughtfully sewn and included. 
beauty in the little details, always.019C5146-EE55-4CC5-9DDD-1141907BE146.thumb.jpeg.d5209ca2842cc36bd263411bb3d4c5d1.jpeg

• 4 months later...

I've listed a pair of Roy RT1002 size 33 in the community sales thread. 

I begrudgingly just sold my 2 pairs of BNWT Roy's last two runs on the auction site. They're far too small, and my taste in fit has change. How I wish I had purchased bigger sizes now. It had been three years since I even looked at them, and was really taken by how nice they are: denim, cut, details, construction, all of it. Just beautiful. But, I want to fund new TFH purchases. 

20230917_114519.thumb.jpg.488b254320e186ea3c1c4bc27d1087c0.jpg

@mpukas when I saw literally all of the jeans you are posting for sale are size 33 I thought... shit, if it was me I'd give up eating lunch for a few weeks and lose the 10 lbs. But I see you like making things taste good.

Sounds like more purchases may be in order 😅

• 4 weeks later...

going to be attempting a sashiko repair on a weakened seat of the R01 indigolovers. pic attached is the area. one patch each side, likely 18 oz fabric from a pair of the ecru samurai natural denim. 

IMG_5711.jpeg

6 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

^ don’t patch the crotch of your jeans w/ an extra 18 oz. of fabric; they’ll be too stiff to ever drape right again

Use a muslin or a light chambray or similar

i’d not considered that, thank you for the callout!

would it be more sensible to bring to SENY for darning work? I have some lighter fabric scraps available to me for a patch, but curious your thoughts. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/25/2023 at 10:25 PM, Double 0 Soul said:

What does Roy do for a living now? With his propensity to be rude with unfiltered comments it’s not like he can ever work in a public facing role.

Back to doing some metal fabrication work, not full time, but it’s what he did for many years before he started making jeans.

On 4/26/2023 at 4:47 AM, shredwin_206 said:

No excuses for why he can’t be a decent human being. I’ll just leave it at that. 
his interaction with me really rubbed me the wrong way and I sold every piece of Roy clothing I had after that. 

I’ve heard from the source, many a times the other side of this story, and I got to say- it’s not so cut and dried, while I might have all the patience in the world for what some might consider a difficult customer- others may not.