Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

ColdStorage, on 21 Oct 2013 - 9:39 PM, said:

It is the first medium I have seen since they sold out at SE. Good luck to him I guess.

In other news:

DSCN7411_zps5777f31f.jpg

So many amazing details, not the least of which is the duck underside on the buckleback.

Are your outseams busting out by chance?

I bought a pair in size 30 which is a loose fit after the initial cold soak. Wore them for about 12 hours and both outseams are busting out. I'm very curious to know if it's happening with other folks who purchased the bros. Apparently he used a different type of thread this time around.

Sorry, haven't soaked them yet so I couldn't say. I'm going to shelf these until it's warm again and take advantage of the winter to put some miles on heavier stuff.

How much shrink did you get? Did you find the SE shrink predictions accurate? I'm wondering if I should have gone one size bigger than what I bought. In the past I have gotten a LOT of shrink on Roys, more than 1.25 in the waist... but it is a new denim.

It is the first medium I have seen since they sold out at SE. Good luck to him I guess.

In other news:

DSCN7411_zps5777f31f.jpg

So many amazing details, not the least of which is the duck underside on the buckleback. 

Lol at your thumb positioning. That has just given me the first chuckle of the day. Well played.

In other news:

DSCN7411_zps5777f31f.jpg

granted im a pretty gullible person, but id think that you were trying to cover up something on the backpocket with your awkward hand position :P. too good indeed.

ColdStorage, on 21 Oct 2013 - 11:57 PM, said:

Sorry, haven't soaked them yet so I couldn't say. I'm going to shelf these until it's warm again and take advantage of the winter to put some miles on heavier stuff.

How much shrink did you get? Did you find the SE shrink predictions accurate? I'm wondering if I should have gone one size bigger than what I bought. In the past I have gotten a LOT of shrink on Roys, more than 1.25 in the waist... but it is a new denim.

I only performed a cold soak and the waist didn't shrink much at all. I'm going to do a proper long hot soak this week and see where it goes. I'm getting slight knee bags, so I'm hoping the hot soak will fix the issue. Also I might have to go back to SE to shorten the inseam. We shall see.

1R13D2C.jpg

Rs04

About a dozen wears - still fresh
(Buzz Rickson Sweatshirt, Redwing shoes, Walter yoyo)

Oh shit, between Steve and Spencer this thread can now be renamed "The Yoyo Thread".

@coldstorage

I feel you man I got them in size 31 (my RS04 are perfect in 31) and so far my crotch has some bunching and the fly has developed these weird folds that I keep ironing out - probably should've gone 32 but damn I love Roy I don't want to let them go.  I think we'll get through it...

Edited by erase

Have you soaked them yet? Did you get a lot of shrink in the top block?

I have a pretty heartbreaking history with Roy.

I have RN04 in 33 which after a first wash became too tight in the top block to wear.

and

I have SF01 in 34 which didn't shrink enough and bunch up funny in the waist when I use a belt to bring em in

and

a Small Portland shirt which has all the measurements that work for me in other shirts (pit to pit, etc) but is somehow too small to wear. (Still interested to trade this for a MEDIUM if anyone is keen!)

...so I went 33 on the Big Bro based on Kiya saying that they would have less shrink than the heavier denim on the SF01 - but if these things lose more than the quarter-inch in the knee/thigh that SE advertises I am going to be in trouble... and since the tags are still attached and they are unworn (minus about 2 minutes in front of my mirror) it's not too late for me to size up... But I need some feedback on the shrinking from other people before SE sells through the rest of the 34s or I am stuck with em.

I have RN04 in 33 which after a first wash became too tight in the top block to wear.

and

I have SF01 in 34 which didn't shrink enough and bunch up funny in the waist when I use a belt to bring em in

and

a Small Portland shirt which has all the measurements that work for me in other shirts (pit to pit, etc) but is somehow too small to wear. (Still interested to trade this for a MEDIUM if anyone is keen!)

...so I went 33 on the Big Bro based on Kiya saying that they would have less shrink than the heavier denim on the SF01 - but if these things lose more than the quarter-inch in the knee/thigh that SE advertises I am going to be in trouble... and since the tags are still attached and they are unworn (minus about 2 minutes in front of my mirror) it's not too late for me to size up... But I need some feedback on the shrinking from other people before SE sells through the rest of the 34s or I am stuck with em.

You could always just do a 10 minute cold soak and shrinkage would be less than if you did your usual longer hot water soak.

and

and

Mine shrank about 2 inches. It was dramatic, but now they fit almost perfectly.

the downside of both your suggestions (at least in my eyes): what happens if he wants to wash/machine wash them in the future?

They will shrink further then.

IMO, both your suggestions are only helpful for the first months but not for the entire lifespan of the jeans

Actually what happens in this situation is that you cold soak the jeans and wear them for a few months, in those few months the denim will stretch in all areas (especially a denim that's only 11oz).  You then wash them in cold water and line dry them and you won't get them to be much smaller than they were when you initially soaked them with the exception of the length getting a little shorter.

Edited by kiya

hand cold wash or machine cold wash?

We recommend machine washing all jeans to get them clean.   Jeans (even shit jeans) are durable things, i've never understood the idea of hand washing them.