Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

haha funny you remembered....So far I've only washed the scrap about 5 times but there is a bit blue poking through. It's just a lot of work so I throw it in with my laundry whenever I remember, but it has shrunken up beyond belief. I'll post some pictures when there is more to show, but at this rate that might take more time! If only I had an industrial washer...

rnrswitch-I'm still jealous of those ducks Roy made you. I told him I was in the market for a pair if he ever made more.

Hey entertainment!, those look really good. I think you got the right size. Do you think you got most of the shrink out of them? Also, what is your height and weight? I ordered some 36x37's for my brother and he is approx 6'4"..220 lbs. Just curious if i was in the ball park. Thanks!

scout-I think they do have some more shrinkage left. Roy said that the inseam should end up at 35.5 but it is only at 34.5 so far. I am 6'2" 170lbs.

Fit pics after a 45-minute cold soak. I nutted up and wore them as they dried. That was unpleasant. But I was concerned out of the box that they were already a little bit snug. However, Roy's advice was spot on. They were 34x32 and I would have to guess that they are around a 33.5x30 right now. I don't have a measuring tape (it was gaffled by my housemate), sorry. All's I can say is follow his advice and expect about 1-inch initial shrink in the waist and 2-2.5 in the inseam. They're stretching out nicely the more I wear them around. Roy's a great guy and I can't say enough about how cool it is to run into craftsmen/women who are passionate about what they create. The inner stitching details are sick. It also helps that they tend to have senses of humor.

IMG_7726.jpg

IMG_7725.jpg

IMG_7724.jpg

IMG_7727.jpg

IMG_7728.jpg

IMG_7731.jpg

IMG_7732.jpg

For the record, no one knows exactly where/how the term "Tar Heel" originated. UNC sucks, anyway.

Here's the ROYS after a 45 minute lukewarm soak, and worn to dry. I followed aho's advice and went true to size, and they fit exactly as I wanted. Thanks, aho!

4619934447_72c251e930_o.jpg

They just need to be worn for a bit to soften them up a little.

I took pre-soak measurements, but haven't measure post-soak yet. Dinner calls. Maybe later...

p.s. RNR- jeans do take time to dry, impatient bastard.

Dude, them shits look good. Wow.

Those look good Roy6!

I gotta say it's a little weird seeing you in something other than LVCs. We hardly recognize you! :)

(shirt is LVC, heh.)

Measurements (for tagged size 33 x 34.5) after 45 min warm soak, worn to dry, waist stretched gently by hand:

....................Pre soak......post soak

Waist............... 33.................33

Inseam............34.5.............32.5

Front rise..........11...............10.5

Back rise.........15.5.............15.5

Thigh..............11.75............11.5

Knee................8.75..............8.5

Hem..................8.5..............8.25

Here's the ROYS after a 45 minute lukewarm soak, and worn to dry. I followed aho's advice and went true to size, and they fit exactly as I wanted. Thanks, aho!

4619934447_72c251e930_o.jpg

They just need to be worn for a bit to soften them up a little.

I took pre-soak measurements, but haven't measure post-soak yet. Dinner calls. Maybe later...

p.s. RNR- jeans do take time to dry, impatient bastard.

roy6, i see you with that wireless mouse/remote trigger ;) EOS utility?

fit is perfect (0)

roy6, those do look great.

I'm curious though how they feel. After wearing mine for three days, my comments about the fitted seat still apply. From that standpoint, they are more like a Lee fit than a Levi's fit. I'm glad that I didn't go true to size (though I almost always do with LVC) because I don't think these would be comfortable if they were tighter.

I'm curious though how they feel. After wearing mine for three days, my comments about the fitted seat still apply. From that standpoint, they are more like a Lee fit than a Levi's fit. I'm glad that I didn't go true to size (though I almost always do with LVC) because I don't think these would be comfortable if they were tighter.

Im glad you're mentioning this, it's definitely easing my mind about going up one.

Thanks

Roy, What LVC shirt is that? Gangsta ass boots BTW. I know Fryes get a bad rep around here, but they still look better than many Japanese repros (that I have seen at least).

Entertainment, I think you sized properly for the fit you want. I probably have some more shrinking to deal with when I soak mine again, so will end up probably with a fitted jean.

I was trying to figure out the cut- I only have LVC as a framework, but I guess it falls somewhere between a LVC '44 and a '47- a more fitted seat than the '44 and definitely not as close cut thighs as a '47. Really, it doesn't seem too different from a modern 501 cut, which is actually a very good, classic appearing cut that works well on a variety of body shapes.

RNR- how does the Sugarcane '47 compare to a ROY 5-pocket?

Probably some of the differences in fit are due to the fact that we are different waist sizes and the cut may differ slightly as a result. Maybe I have been wearing too many loose nineteenth century cuts too!

However, I just tried on my 1944 LVC which I bought true to size, and they have a lot more room in the crotch and the seat than these. My 1947s which I sized similarly to my ROYs (up one inch) after suffering with a pair of true to size ones (that's when I learned to heed Paul T's advice) are also looser in the seat. That's why I ended up with the Lee comparison although the details of the ROYs are definitely more Levi's related.

I guess after suffering with the TTS 47s, I am a little wary about buying any STF jeans that are too tight in the crotch and seat. My days of suffering to get a tight fit are over!

Comfort and appearance are a balance. Everyone has their own happy medium.

True enough. I'm wearing a pair of down-sized LVC '33s to work these days, and I like the way they look and are aging, but I am seriously doubting I will downsize anything so much in the future. Steez must be balanced with circulation.

RNR- that's the LVC shirt I mentioned that seems to have your name on it.

Really, it doesn't seem too different from a modern 501 cut, which is actually a very good, classic appearing cut that works well on a variety of body shapes.

RNR- how does the Sugarcane '47 compare to a ROY 5-pocket?

The sugarcane is a lot looser than the ROY. I can take some measurements a bit later, but I would say the fit is closer to the LVC 47 than the sugarcane 47. Although, the ROY does not have the high rise that the LVC 47 has. I would say, from pics alone, that the ROY has a similar fit to something like the LVC '55 sized down.

The fit reminds me a lot of my Jean Shop rockers or my Warehouse 660s (with a slightly higher rise).

I probably added more confusion. Needless to say the ROY cut seems to be a rather democratic cut. Nothing too slim, yet not too relaxed either. He described it to me as, "Fitted, but with the ability to climb a fence when needed." I believe those were his words.

RNR- that's the LVC shirt I mentioned that seems to have your name on it.

If it's got my name on it then what the hell are you doing with it on? Stop greasing it up man! Grease ball.

I'll buy a slimmed down '55. I just can't see the '47 comparison, though ROY mentioned that himself- the thighs just aren't that slim, which I guess is the '47s main claim to fame.

Entertainment, I wish I had ever worn a Lee repro so I could compare, but that sounds like it might be the closest analogy. The ROY cut looks similar to that of the new James Dean Lee model I've been seeing pics of.

To clear things up I probably would've sized one up from actual waist measurement but only because my pair seems to be an inch smaller than listed on the charts (started off as 31 when I ordered a 32)...No big deal though, the legs and everywhere else fit just fine so it's really a matter of preference. Up one is definitely not a problem though for any who were considering it!

roy6, i see you with that wireless mouse/remote trigger ;) EOS utility?

Haha, you caught me. EOS. It was my attempt to take a fit pic without cleaning my mirror, and not having to hear about it from PaulT.

Oh, and about the Fryes. It's just like anything else, if it is too available then it lacks cache. In SF a lot of gardeners turn their noses up at Diedes, which are perfectly good plants, and well-suited for the Bay area.

"Whatever, dude, everyone has a Diedes."

Whatever.

To clear things up I probably would've sized one up from actual waist measurement but only because my pair seems to be an inch smaller than listed on the charts (started off as 31 when I ordered a 32)...No big deal though, the legs and everywhere else fit just fine so it's really a matter of preference. Up one is definitely not a problem though for any who were considering it!

Agreed. How the top block fits on an individual is always the x-factor.

i know it way too early to ask for aging properties, but does anyone have any idea how these will turn out? it seems cone has a reputation as a slow fading denim.

Roy and others, which LVC Cone fabric does it most resemble? Do we know what the code number of the denim is??

Roy and others, which LVC Cone fabric does it most resemble? Do we know what the code number of the denim is??

It is listed on ROY's website as "14 oz shrink to fit American, Cone x/vos".

I did a web search on that and came up with ROY's website. Does it mean anything to you?