Ande Whall Denim

iloveredstripe

hey Ande im absolutly gutted for you, every time i see your part of town on the news i tear up, cant even begin to fathom how you are feeling.

I am running a big upcycling thing using the girls at school as slaves through the red cross, hope to make lots of money to send back down to chch, unfortunatly this wont help you directly.

I could however send you a big fat roll of non premium china selvedge once you have a work space to make some andewhall earthquake recovery quick sale jeans from or something.

Kia Kaha

Bumped for a worthy cause. Help your denim friends!!!

Dear Sufer's,

How are you all, hope everyone is good out there in denim land.

Unfortunately the worst news regarding the condition of the workshop came in yesterday. The building has been very badly damaged in the Earthquake that struck on Tuesday the 22nd of February and is set to be demolished in the next week. Earthquakes are a hell of a thing, it's taken over 200 lives, my home, workshop and I still can't find me little cat.

I have to thank my good fortune that all friends and family are safe, and that I wasn't walking to, or in the workshop during the Quake. The workshop is in a cordoned red zone, as well as a super cordoned "No Access Zone' in the worst hit area in the central city, shadowed by a large hotel that is on a lean and will have to bought down in the near future. Some business owners will be allowed access to their buildings to salvage gear, but not in this very dangerous no access zone where the workshop is situated. For myself and others in this terrible situation, the Urban Search and Rescue squads are coordinating with bussiness owners to salvage what they can from the premises before the building is demolished. The 'smash and grab' allowed lot for each business is approx 5-10 minutes and a 44 gallon drum to fill with the most important items, which has been relayed to the Urban Search and Rescue guys by the business owners. But there are still no promises that they will be able to salvage anything. They will try their best, but if there is any danger what so ever they won't take the risk, which is a fair call. I have given some good instructions about trying to grab pattern drafts, labels, hardware (there may be thousands of buttons and rivets scattered across the floor however) and the denim, which may not be able to saved as it's quite heavy and won't fit in the 44 gallon drum. Everything else, machines, patterns, tools, computer and stock will be crushed with a wrecking ball and digger. It's a hell of shame indeed.

So much time building this small denim business will be lost for forever. Money just can't replace some things that have taken years of work and collecting. All the old sewing machines scrounged and bought back to life. Sewing machines like the Durkopp keyhole buttonholer are as rare as hen's teeth here in New Zealand, affordable old ones that is, brand new ones are 8-12K. Another most unfortunate situation is my insurance had lapsed and I was going through the process of finding a new company, stupid, stupid bugger I am...took to long, pissed around and procrastinated about getting it done.

After having said all that....I will be back fellas! I just have to start again, having done it once, I'm sure it won't take to long before I will be back in action getting the hand made jeans to the people. I will need some time to organise things, get a new home, most probably with a workshop attached, in a garage or a big house. There are limited good spaces left in the city, and homes are in short supply now too. I don't really wish to live/work in the city anymore anyhow, to freaky and it will be a long time until it is back up and running. It may be cordoned off for months while they demolish nearly 150 buildings.

There are some immediate problems to overcome to get back in action. Finding a good place to get set up again will be the first step, I am staying at my brothers house at the moment, which lucky escaped any Quake damage. The next step will be gathering suitable sewing machines and trying to pay existing bills to avoid losing essential suppliers. If the patterns, labels and hardware can't be recovered, there is a ton of man hours to re-cut patterns and money to replace hardware and labels. I really don't think the USAR guys will be able to rescue the denim, such a shame as the two 50m rolls for the contest had just come in and also the 50m of the Special Roll denim, four days before the Quake hit. My supplier in Japan sends me the denim when I order it and I make payment on the 20th of the month, or later, he is a super mellow guy and we have an unwritten contract based on trust. So basically I need to pay for the 100m of contest denim to keep me in good stead with these great denim makers. I have always been rubbish at asking for help, I find it quite embarassing and don't like to put people out. I am going to put up a $20 'save my bacon Earthquake messed up the AW jeans production and needs to pay denim bills' rescue fund on the website. So if you have a spare 20 bucks lying around it will definitely be going to a good denim cause. I run the business on next to nothing and put all earnings back into it. Not really the best way to work, always fighting off the ropes, but was the only way to make progress with new garments and branding etc. I had patterns and labels ready to go for new models of jackets and shirts that were in the final design phases. Heartbreaking really, they never got into reality.

Thanks very much to all of you who have supported me over the years, getting a bit choked up now about years of awesome Sufu guys, extremely funny, interesting and bouncing around all kinds of ideas. And the Superfuture creators themselves, great guys that have made a special place for all of this to happen. The best part of my job is hearing your feedback about the jeans, your stories and just having great chats. By no means will I ever give up on the label, this denim thing gets in your blood as you know, haha.

The Workshop is in the red 'no access area. Whole blocks around this area are going to be demolished.

Good to hear you're safe Ande. I've been quietly admiring your work for years.

It's uplifting to see fellow Superfutarians gathering round to look after their own. Altruism is possibly the most noble of human qualities. You have fans and friends here.

So a bump up, and another donation inbound.

Keep your chin up, get back on your feet again and keep doing the great work.

Dear Sufer's,

Unfortunately the worst news regarding the condition of the workshop came in yesterday. The building has been very badly damaged in the Earthquake that struck on Tuesday the 22nd of February and is set to be demolished in the next week. Earthquakes are a hell of a thing, it's taken over 200 lives, my home, workshop and I still can't find me little cat.

I have to thank my good fortune that all friends and family are safe, and that I wasn't walking to, or in the workshop during the Quake. The workshop is in a cordoned red zone, as well as a super cordoned "No Access Zone' in the worst hit area in the central city, shadowed by a large hotel that is on a lean and will have to bought down in the near future. Some business owners will be allowed access to their buildings to salvage gear, but not in this very dangerous no access zone where the workshop is situated. For myself and others in this terrible situation, the Urban Search and Rescue squads are coordinating with bussiness owners to salvage what they can from the premises before the building is demolished. The 'smash and grab' allowed lot for each business is approx 5-10 minutes and a 44 gallon drum to fill with the most important items, which has been relayed to the Urban Search and Rescue guys by the business owners. But there are still no promises that they will be able to salvage anything. They will try their best, but if there is any danger what so ever they won't take the risk, which is a fair call. I have given some good instructions about trying to grab pattern drafts, labels, hardware (there may be thousands of buttons and rivets scattered across the floor however) and the denim, which may not be able to saved as it's quite heavy and won't fit in the 44 gallon drum. Everything else, machines, patterns, tools, computer and stock will be crushed with a wrecking ball and digger. It's a hell of shame indeed.

So much time building this small denim business will be lost for forever. Money just can't replace some things that have taken years of work and collecting. All the old sewing machines scrounged and bought back to life. Sewing machines like the Durkopp keyhole buttonholer are as rare as hen's teeth here in New Zealand, affordable old ones that is, brand new ones are 8-12K. Another most unfortunate situation is my insurance had lapsed and I was going through the process of finding a new company, stupid, stupid bugger I am...took to long, pissed around and procrastinated about getting it done.

After having said all that....I will be back fellas! I just have to start again, having done it once, I'm sure it won't take to long before I will be back in action getting the hand made jeans to the people. I will need some time to organise things, get a new home, most probably with a workshop attached, in a garage or a big house. There are limited good spaces left in the city, and homes are in short supply now too. I don't really wish to live/work in the city anymore anyhow, to freaky and it will be a long time until it is back up and running. It may be cordoned off for months while they demolish nearly 150 buildings.

There are some immediate problems to overcome to get back in action. Finding a good place to get set up again will be the first step, I am staying at my brothers house at the moment, which lucky escaped any Quake damage. The next step will be gathering suitable sewing machines and trying to pay existing bills to avoid losing essential suppliers. If the patterns, labels and hardware can't be recovered, there is a ton of man hours to re-cut patterns and money to replace hardware and labels. I really don't think the USAR guys will be able to rescue the denim, such a shame as the two 50m rolls for the contest had just come in and also the 50m of the Special Roll denim, four days before the Quake hit. My supplier in Japan sends me the denim when I order it and I make payment on the 20th of the month, or later, he is a super mellow guy and we have an unwritten contract based on trust. So basically I need to pay for the 100m of contest denim to keep me in good stead with these great denim makers. I have always been rubbish at asking for help, I find it quite embarassing and don't like to put people out. I am going to put up a $20 'save my bacon Earthquake messed up the AW jeans production and needs to pay denim bills' rescue fund on the website. So if you have a spare 20 bucks lying around it will definitely be going to a good denim cause. I run the business on next to nothing and put all earnings back into it. Not really the best way to work, always fighting off the ropes, but was the only way to make progress with new garments and branding etc. I had patterns and labels ready to go for new models of jackets and shirts that were in the final design phases. Heartbreaking really, they never got into reality.

Thanks very much to all of you who have supported me over the years, getting a bit choked up now about years of awesome Sufu guys, extremely funny, interesting and bouncing around all kinds of ideas. And the Superfuture creators themselves, great guys that have made a special place for all of this to happen. The best part of my job is hearing your feedback about the jeans, your stories and just having great chats. By no means will I ever give up on the label, this denim thing gets in your blood as you know, haha.

The Workshop is in the red 'no access area. Whole blocks around this area are going to be demolished.

cordon.jpg

Your optimism is inspiring, Ande. I've made my donation and I hope everyone that reads this thread does the same! Good, hard-working people deserve lots of help in situations like this.

Idea: if you are poor like I am, just skip a few meals in the next week and direct that money to Ande.

Dear Sufu guys,

How are you all. It seems the world has gone a bit crazy this year. It's shocking whats happened in Japan. So glad they have the nuclear plants more stable. My heart goes out to the people of Japan. It's hard to fathom the destruction caused by the tsunami.

Thankyou all so much for the donations. It's so humbling to have such great support in a truly strange time. It really is amazing to have such strong support from the denim aficionado's of the world, much appreciated indeed.

On the workshop front, still doesn't look hopeful for getting gear out. I called the City Council a few days ago and they don't know if the USAR guys were able to get into the building ot not. It's turned into a bit of a mess really. It's been a month since the Quake and the city is still fully locked down. There has been looting of shops and buildings demolished without any notification to building and business owners. Everything seems so disorganized and people don't know if their buildings are still standing or a pile of rubble. Business owners just want to access their site to get vital stuff out and there has been clashes with police etc. It doesn't really apply to me as the workshop is in the worst hit zone, but not knowing if they were able to salvage the list of things is frustrating. It is still very dangerous in the city. Construction workers are trying to secure dodgy buildings as there is still strong aftershocks all the time.

I managed to find some photos of the loft from facebook and government sites. They have taken out the front wall, the side wall and half the back wall popped out in the Quake, good thing I wasn't in there bar tacking belt loops. So now the roof is sitting on the floor. Now, I guess there is no way in there for the USAR team, so they either got stuff out or deemed it to dangerous to enter.

Found this video of a guy that lives at 116 Lichfield Street, the workshop is at 113, so he walks past it right after the Quake. I know some of the guys on the street. I actually looked at the apartment he was living in, but it was fairly pricey.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/christchurch-earthquake/videos/4698362

loft3.jpg

loft1j.jpg

loft2.jpg

Unbelievable and heart wrenching Ande. My thoughts and prays go out to you, your family, and friends. I can only imagine the shit you're going through. Like Poly said, I'm glad to hear that you're ok. You've been an inspiration to me and I have always enjoyed seeing what you're up to, I can't wait to see you back at it!

Keep safe!

Quick shot of my Cougar STF cone denim. By way of a bump for a good cause

Cougar_march11.jpg

Dear Sufer's,

cordon.jpg

The STF denim was Cone? I thought only Levi's could get unsanforized denim from Cone, hence why they made such a big stink about the Roy contest denim, and all jeans made with Cone denim (Tellason, Raleigh, Left Field) are sanforized.