Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

how do the '47s tend to hold up? i've been eyeing a pair on self edge, the price seems nice. i've never really researched sugarcane, and this thread seems too massive for me to digest. if anyone could post some "highlights" i'd really appreciate it

I have a pair that I bought a year and a half ago and that have been worn for about 11 months and they're holding up very well. I only had to do minor repairs in the crotch.

I probably could post new pictures, but if you look in the evo thread, you can find pictures of mine.

Anyway, you can't go wrong with the 47s.

I have a pair that I bought a year and a half ago and that have been worn for about 11 months and they're holding up very well. I only had to do minor repairs in the crotch.

I probably could post new pictures, but if you look in the evo thread, you can find pictures of mine.

Anyway, you can't go wrong with the 47s.

i'll have to look into that... what type of fades do they get? is it still possible to hunt down a pair w/ arcs and tab intact?

i'll have to look into that... what type of fades do they get? is it still possible to hunt down a pair w/ arcs and tab intact?

They fade in a more "vintage" way than other brands. Because they are a regular fit, a lot of creases can form. Once in a while, a pair with tabs and arcs pop up in the supermarket or on Yahoo auctions, but I would say that they are pretty much gone for good. You can still find pairs with the red tab in Japan though.

They fade in a more "vintage" way than other brands. Because they are a regular fit, a lot of creases can form. Once in a while, a pair with tabs and arcs pop up in the supermarket or on Yahoo auctions, but I would say that they are pretty much gone for good. You can still find pairs with the red tab in Japan though.

cool. you know any sites that carry 'em?

cool. you know any sites that carry 'em?

I got a pair of 47s from vari.ocnk.net with red tab...price was right and they got here FAST. I know that BiG also has them but they won't have the tab. You won't be able to return them to a proxy if you don't like the size you picked (before any washing/soaking) whereas I think BiG takes exchanges.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know about these? Just curious, as I don't think I'd buy them, but they sure are different.

http://saddlemen.net/jeans/scryokutya.htm

Also, I'm pretty sure I've narrowed my next pair of jeans down to being the Okinawas, but I don't think I'll have a chance to try them on any time soon. Would it be safe to just order the o/w in my true size (or up one)? or would this be a gamble? I guess I just don't have the patience to wait until the next time I'm in NY and can try them on at BiG.

Anyone know about these? Just curious, as I don't think I'd buy them, but they sure are different.

SC40302 - Oki's natural indigo dyed. mud dyeing (charcoal), persimmon tannin (Brown), dried grass (yellow), green tea (dark green)

Check chantheman's thread on the SC line up for more info.

Also, either size down or true to size on the okinawas. I made the mistake of sizing up and they stretched from 33 to 34.5ish. They ended up getting stolen and I recently got these size 31 from chanthemanmanmanmanman.

scokifitbacktt1.jpg

Sugar Cane Okinawa , sized down one to 31. Guess where I got my name from? :cool:

Thanks a bunch, man. That definitely clarifies things for me. I had considered sizing up because I figured most people size down in order to get a tight fit, whereas I'm currently in the mood for a slightly looser jean. But I really like the fit of your's, so I'll take your advice if I end up getting the okis.

Of course, now I'm thinking of getting a pair of sammies instead. Not sure what model I'd get, but this is the sc thread so I won't get into that. Gordon at BiG told me he's expecting a shipment of sc's soon, but they might not get any okis in 34, so I'd have to special order.

Anyway, thanks again, chantheman and sc...oki ;)

Thanks. Great lineup, by the way.

On a side note, which do you think are worth getting... sc's or sammies? I have a month before I can get either one, but I want to pick one. They're both top quality, about the same price, sammie's have comparable fits* but sammies also have the option of heavier denim, so that's sort of what's keeping me in a tug-of-war.

* I'm thinking...

s5000vx 17oz

s0510xx 15oz mid rise relaxed fit (Texas cotton)

mid/high rise relaxed fit 19-21oz

Are any of those worth getting over the okis, you think? I know this isn't the samurai thread, so I apologize if this post is a nuisance.

each are different. sams are a little more expensive, but the 50/50 sugarcane fiber denim is unlike anything else. just depends what you feel like. sugarcane is more of a repro cut where as you can get a slimmer cut with samurai.

i was in the same dilemma as well

but i couldn't pass up on jeans that are 50/50 sugarcane/cotton. When I received the Okis...my goodness, they smelled sweet. I am happy with my choice. I am actually a size 29, but i got a 28 and the first couple of times wearing was really bruising my hips. But now it stretched out to a fit I don't regret.

Thanks. Great lineup, by the way.

On a side note, which do you think are worth getting... sc's or sammies? I have a month before I can get either one, but I want to pick one. They're both top quality, about the same price, sammie's have comparable fits* but sammies also have the option of heavier denim, so that's sort of what's keeping me in a tug-of-war.

* I'm thinking...

s5000vx 17oz

s0510xx 15oz mid rise relaxed fit (Texas cotton)

mid/high rise relaxed fit 19-21oz

Are any of those worth getting over the okis, you think? I know this isn't the samurai thread, so I apologize if this post is a nuisance.

i think the okinawa has my favorite denim of any jeans i have yet seen. the texas cotton is also really nice too though. i think what puts it over the edge for me is the left hand twill on the okis and the way they fade, there is crazy depth and vertical falling. it is captivating. so my vote is for the okis, followed by the 510 texas.

^ that is with out a doubt one of the most tragic things ive ever seen. i usually only try to get 1 pair a year ( so far so good this year not as good last year) 3 weeks ago i got a new pair, red moon jeans rmj-201, i had 3 pairs i was debating before i dropped teh hammer. the redmoons, real mccoy s614, and these the slack denim. since i refuse to buy and hoard, i lose.

i was in the same dilemma as well

but i couldn't pass up on jeans that are 50/50 sugarcane/cotton. When I received the Okis...my goodness, they smelled sweet. I am happy with my choice. I am actually a size 29, but i got a 28 and the first couple of times wearing was really bruising my hips. But now it stretched out to a fit I don't regret.

But.. selfedge says that they run 1 inch smaller in the waist.

Should we just ignore that and play on?

I don't actually own a pair of okinawas, but I normally buy raws with a waist measuring 29 inches in the one wash state, and when I tried on the okinawas I could fit a 28. Seems like it would've stretched out to be a good waist size. I still think its kind of difficult to just say size up on or size down one or whatever because everybody wears their jeans differently, some sagging these, some pulling them up, and some just wearing them in the middle.

@ percy and opie:

depends on how you want them to fit. the 47 especially is a classic cut obviously, and not meant to be warn super tight like so many people on sufu like. if you want them to fit tight you should be able to size down and squeeze into them no problem. i have a pair of 47s and okinawas and i sized up on both of them. no fit pics but theres plenty posted already, theyre straight legged classic cuts for the most part, except the okinawa has an anti-ass that isnt too flattering.

Okinawa and Hawaii have the same fit and cut... for some people and no for some people... odd...

look, i own a pair of okinawas (SC40301) and a pair of hawaiis (SC40401) in the exact same size (34x34). both purchased on the same day from the same store (selfedge).

i just took them out of the closet and threw them on the ground, one on top of another. and guess what, they are *exactly* the same. every part of each jean lines up on top of another, like identical cookies cut from the same mold. i can take photographs of this amazing feat if people don't believe me but i assure you it wouldn't be that exciting.

now, i will say that the jeans "feel" quite different. the hawaii is much itchier and softer. so when it was new it felt much "tighter" but only because i was much more aware of the denim on my legs. the okinawa did not feel nearly as itchy or stiff at first but it has kept its stiffness much more over time than the hawaiis (i bought both in one-wash state so neither is particularly stiff compared to other jeans i own).

i hope that clears everything up. for what it's worth kiya and clay (sp?) at selfedge both confirmed that people come in the shop all the time *convinced* that the cuts are somehow different (like i was) but if you actually look at two pairs side by side you'll see that no, they're exactly the same.

unless the 34x34 cut just happens to be that way, and the 30x34 is totally different for some unknown reason ...

actually ... hold on ... wait ... i may have spoken too soon.

i just did this again with the jeans side-by-side and it looks like there are *very minor* differences between the jeans above the crotch. it looks like the pockets are about an inch higher on the okinawas and the rise is a little longer too (by the same amount)

now the question: is this intentional or is this just normal variation in the production of the jeans?

check back in a couple hours ... i think i will post pics so that everyone can check it out.

those are some nice 1947's. I wish the combs are more discrete as your lap fades. I hope my okinawas turned out to be like that too.

For some advice/suggestion: Sure selfedge say it's an inch shorter that it's suppose to be, but I'd just figure they'll have to stretch anyways so I'd just stay with my normal size(to be honest, i think i sized down one because i normally wear my jeans in a size 29. The nudies I have were bought at size 29 and the FIRST FIRST time I wore it, it was a perfect snug fit, but now it has streched to a point where I don't like them).

It's funny and lucky that I never tried on okinawas, I'd just took the risk at getting size 28 and ordered it from japan(I think it's cheaper). The first 3-4 days I thought I made a bad decision but it stretched out to a point where I liked the fit. I can give fit pics later this week if needed. So far, my okinawas > flat head 3001 > nudies average joes. amazing jeans, pure amazing.

I might have to buy another one just to hold and maybe hawaii's down the line.