allacedout

Sugar Cane Denim

@beautiful_FrEaK Second Sunrise here in Stockholm, I've bought many things from them before and service is always top notch. I'm going back there and maybe I can work out a deal with them to get a new pair because those Canes were really really nice.

Yiiiikes. I hope that was a fluke! I’ve never experienced anything like that before.  

I just dropped my pair off at self edge today for a hem. Hopefully they haven’t started and I can grab them back tomorrow and give the jeans another wash. 

Posted (edited)

They were extremely kind at Second Sunrise. In exchange for my now too short jeans they let me have a new pair completely free of charge! This time I left them completely un-hemmed so that I can wash hot and maybe tumble dry with a piece of mind. That's what I call customer service! I have bought things from them before but this time they got new a lifetime customer.

Edited by NilsLW

Thats amazing! Glad they sorted you out. 
I wonder what happened? I emailed Hinoya and they hadn’t heard of anything like that. Same with Self Edge. Did they only shrink up in length or did they shrink all over as well? 

I’ve never experienced anything like it before either, it was like they were completely raw. They shrank very little over the waist so mostly on the length. Went from a double cuff to too short even without a cuff. I’m giving my new pair a soak tomorrow to see if the same will happen again, this time I’ve got plenty of margin for inseam shrinkage though.

brief photo update of my 1955z that i’ve been wearing since december 2021. i like the fit on these a lot more than the 66. 

4BCD7CF2-282A-4760-9CA9-E3ABF240D009.jpeg

6E785AFA-75EE-4002-A12C-F52F16F3ACF2.jpeg

BEA2273B-39DB-4DB3-BA81-4F397510BDBF.jpeg

E5FBD6D0-A91D-4016-A2AF-1F3A377C7C1A.jpeg

3564C7EF-6486-4662-96EE-FDA49DCDCEBF.jpeg

1 hour ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

@roomtemplacroix what do you prefer on the 1955 over the 1966?

at first, i enjoyed the taper on the 66 a lot. over time and several washes the leg opening got much smaller. now i can't wear them as they won't even fit over a pair of cowboy boots. the 55 has a really generous hip/thigh/rise and a very subtle taper which i think looks and feels a lot better on my body personally. i think my biggest with sugar canes in general has always been that they seem to shrink very little after their initial 2-3 washes, but then much more dramatically over time beyond that. i end up disliking the fit on a jean several months into their life cycle that i loved when i bought them one-wash.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, roomtemplacroix said:

at first, i enjoyed the taper on the 66 a lot. over time and several washes the leg opening got much smaller. now i can't wear them as they won't even fit over a pair of cowboy boots. the 55 has a really generous hip/thigh/rise and a very subtle taper which i think looks and feels a lot better on my body personally. i think my biggest with sugar canes in general has always been that they seem to shrink very little after their initial 2-3 washes, but then much more dramatically over time beyond that. i end up disliking the fit on a jean several months into their life cycle that i loved when i bought them one-wash.

it's interesting in that i had the exact same experience with my '66s. the first maybe six months were great, but then they just shrunk too much over time (particularly at the thigh). i'd like to try again in the future in a size up.

Edited by conqueror

I want to say I experienced the same thing with my 66, but I think I just started packing on the pounds lol

How much did the leg opening of your 66 jeans shrink over time?

^sorta same experience, my old pair of 66 in a size 32 ended up with a leg opening of 7.5” and about a 12” thigh, the waist was about 31” iirc

^on which size? sounds like a great 66 for me :D

as If I didn't have enough on my list already...

How are you guys washing to get so much shrink? I've washed my '66 twice via a hot hand wash and hung them dry. Seems like I didn't get any shrink.

5 hours ago, (10chars) said:

How are you guys washing to get so much shrink? I've washed my '66 twice via a hot hand wash and hung them dry. Seems like I didn't get any shrink.

Many, many machine washes

Love all that 66 talk. Somehow I never bought or considered the SC 66 before. Might have to change that :D

22 hours ago, wavehead said:

@roomtemplacroix did the 1955z shrink up with washes like the 66 does? 

i've only washed mine twice since i bought them in december. once in warm water and the second in cold. they tightened up a little in the waist and the hem, as well as a little residual inseam shrink. nothing major, but i wouldn't be surprised if they shrink more with subsequent washing. the denim is pretty dense like the 47, but stretches much more easily. 

Gave my 66’s their first wash. In cold water with no spin. Air dry. They shrunk up all over but in a good way. Inseam shrank maybe .75”. 

black 47s. sized up two on these. have had them since april i believe. i wear them almost exclusively when i’m not at work. maybe not gonna wash them for a long time. probably not gonna hem either. 

8E4F6082-BE95-4FB0-BA07-47AE513EE337.jpeg

C0C2ECBA-82B1-44A0-AEC1-4F4EB2CE7A9C.jpeg

Question to the 1966 owners: to what "final length" did your pairs shrink to? Trying to figure out to what length I want them hemmed and I wanna hem them now, still raw.

@beautiful_FrEaK are those from PSA? 

Inseam should lose 3 to 3.5” 

Posted (edited)

@bod yes I bought them from PSA. He had 2 pairs of raw size 33 in stock and I took the bigger one. Thanks for that! I guess I will hem them to 34" then.

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

1966 2 month update. As you can see they have been washed a few times. I’ve been out backpacking around central and southern Europe with a friend which apparently makes your clothes become dirty really quickly, hence the frequent washing. I’d say my iphone captured the color pretty well, they are a bit less purple in real life. The fit and details are just lovely on these.50890429-192D-471D-9F7A-30BD0A413260.thumb.jpeg.bdb6c5f4a9df27e82c4c3156888650db.jpegD8299A54-FBBC-43AB-8AD3-9B7D5A3E82F0.thumb.jpeg.ac9ef7dff5fd154884f070ccddf57df5.jpeg

Amazing!! The little wrinkles are the best part imo. Thanks for sharing Julian!