Samurai Jeans

gimmegimme

@bf

Yeah. Ever since I got my 500s I've been having complex samurai fantasies.

Pretty sure I'm not alone here:

500VX

19oz waist band and inside button fly selvedge on both sides

Lemon contrast arcs over fader arcs

Black patch

Offset belt loop

Bartack instead of hidden rivets

Silver chainstitch if that's at all possible

It'll probably never happen though

Samurai 0553x. Although it does have quite a bit of contrast, the contrast is somehow a little exaggerated even though I didn't make any adjustments to the picture. I like you can see that the button inside the right cuff is totally rusted.

13910142187_34867d98a5_z.jpg

I've just decided to make my 710s the first pair that I will wash once a month. On all my other pairs I've waited for atleast 5-6 months before the first wash. Washed them today and they actually show some nice fades. I really like the look of frequently washed denim so I'm excited!

Is there any consequences to soaking your denim in hot water 4-5 months in and then drying them in the dryer to get shrink out now? I hot soaked 3x in the beginning to get the shrink out, but I know that it doesn't shrink that much until wash and I've posted before my concern regarding the jean's fades not matching up to my body after the first wash, so I've been thinking about doing this soon. 

If you soaked 3 times, you won't get that much more shrinkage that it affects your creases (just realized this again on my UES). You can just wash them with low temperature and low spinning rate to minimize shrinkage, but there's no need to do so.

Is there any consequences to soaking your denim in hot water 4-5 months in and then drying them in the dryer to get shrink out now? I hot soaked 3x in the beginning to get the shrink out, but I know that it doesn't shrink that much until wash and I've posted before my concern regarding the jean's fades not matching up to my body after the first wash, so I've been thinking about doing this soon.

I did 2 hot soaks and one low temperature wash when a got my 710s, now after 1 month I did a 60 degree Celsius wash and the fit got so much better.

I recently picked up a s710xx-15th and did an initial machine hot soak. Didn't seem like much shrinkage occurred at all do did one more snd got considerable amount more shrinkage so I say go with your gut. If you feel there is more in there go for it... But if it's minimal I don't know that it warrants it.

I decided to add some alternations to my Samurai jacket.  Inside pockets and a tab where you can hang it on a coat hook.  I'm pretty happy about the results.

WP_20140506_001.jpg

WP_20140506_002.jpg

WP_20140506_003.jpg

S0500XX one wash

Washed after the 7th wear. Cold machine with a table spoon of tide, maybe a bit more. Lost .5cm in the thigh, front and back rise, leg opening. 2cm in waist and 1cm in length. Trying to embrace the blotchy fades left from an aggro "industrial" coin opachine. No real progress except for the obvious clean pair of jeans. I ended up rubbing some Indian hemp (Afro-sheen) oil on whisker, thigh, comb area, in an attempt to attract dirt for the next 7 wears. We'll see though.

Is it true, what I've read, that Samurai uses cotton thread that is less durable than poly core thread? 

I've been wearing my S510XX 25oz for about a month now, and some threads on the coin pocket are already being abraded off from an EDC folder, which I don't even carry everyday. 

That's the one thing I don't like about these jeans. Some of the stitching is very hefty, while in other places it seems very small. I'll be rather upset if I have to retire these jeans someday due to the stitching breaking down before the fabric. 

PS - I've got post-wash measurements to post, and I have to get the GF to do some fit pics as well. 

Yes, they use cotton thread in different strengths. Or, in other words, I got loose threads on the pockets (front & back), the hem and the crotch on all my Samurais. It's not too hard to fix that yourself, but it's kind of frustrating. No reason to retire the jeans, though. The really crucial parts hold nicely, like the inseam / outseam, Waist, Yoke etc.

Edited by Max Power

S0500XX one wash

Washed after the 7th wear. Cold machine with a table spoon of tide, maybe a bit more. Lost .5cm in the thigh, front and back rise, leg opening. 2cm in waist and 1cm in length. Trying to embrace the blotchy fades left from an aggro "industrial" coin opachine. No real progress except for the obvious clean pair of jeans. I ended up rubbing some Indian hemp (Afro-sheen) oil on whisker, thigh, comb area, in an attempt to attract dirt for the next 7 wears. We'll see though.

Any chance of a fit pic mate ? these may be my next pair

@slavo

No fit pics but here are aome photos after the 2 washes. As mentioned in above post, I rubbed hemp oil/Afro sheen into combs, whiskers, and thigh areas to attract dirt and fade progress.

image.jpg

image-2.jpg

image-1.jpg

image-3.jpg

image-4.jpg

image-5.jpg

image-6.jpg

You can see the areas in the denim where the Afro sheen has become heavily saturated. I did this right before the 8th wear. The idea was too manufacture dirt and grime "naturally". I plan on washing again after doing some yard work this weekend. I'm curious how effective the Afro sheen method will be. A tumble dry will follow the next bath....

Btw these are 2 sizes too big and have stretched out sloppily, exactly how I wanted them. I recommend tts for a regular fit in the current lot 17...

I can understand funky washes, even otterwaxing.  I however do not get this, I have so many things to say against that.